Sign in to follow this  
Captain Hi-Top

The NBA Draft... How does your team measure up?

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:
Originally posted by BRich:

We get credit for drafting Nelson?

How does Ramon Sessions rank that highly? With all due respect to his game (and he looks like he's going to be a baller) - he hasn't played 20 NBA games yet.

I'm surprised we ranked that highly though. Using any formula.

Because we traded for Nelson on draft night, in escence, he was drafted on our behalf.

Sessions is a case of having only a small sampling of data. With only 17 games under his belt, his PER of 16.35 might end up being misleading, but he was also averaging 26.5 minutes per game. Combine those numbers with the fact that he was selected 56th overall, and, for now, it looks to be a very very good pick on the part of Milwaukee.

Some other MIL picks of note-

Dan Gadzuric-33

Flip Murray-41

Jason Hart-49

PAT GARRITY!!-19 lol

Rafer Alston-39

2nd round picks that contribute and that isn't even counting Redd and Sessions. At worst those guys are assets you can use in a trade.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

It's pretty interesting that the Bucks and the Sonics have still managed to stink even while drafting that well over the last 10 yrs. SEA seems to draft well then they get rid of the players.

True, but draft them is only the first step, next one is to give them confidence and developing time.

And didn't trade for instant assets is another point.

Orlando rank in the middle, but has already lost a lot of the players on the list.

Thanks Ech04papa, very interesting post.

Only one question, how did your system work when a team is drafting a player for another team, 'cause they've already agreed on a trade before the draft?

quote:
Originally posted by Luke_FfS:

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

It's pretty interesting that the Bucks and the Sonics have still managed to stink even while drafting that well over the last 10 yrs. SEA seems to draft well then they get rid of the players.

True, but draft them is only the first step, next one is to give them confidence and developing time.

And didn't trade for instant assets is another point.

Orlando rank in the middle, but has already lost a lot of the players on the list.

Thanks Ech04papa, very interesting post.

Only one question, how did your system work when a team is drafting a player for another team, 'cause they've already agreed on a trade before the draft?

Just like Nelson. He was essentially drafted for us, but not by us, and that player should be listed under the team that received him.

quote:

Top 5 Magic Selections:

1. Keith Bogans (43)

2. Zaza Pachulia (42)

3. Jameer Nelson (20)

4. Travis Diener (38)

5. Anderson Verajao (30)

What's interesting is that 4 of those 5 players went on to play elsewhere. Obviously Bogans has returned, but what does that say about the Magic's ability to develop talent?

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

Top 5 Magic Selections:

1. Keith Bogans (43)

2. Zaza Pachulia (42)

3. Jameer Nelson (20)

4. Travis Diener (38)

5. Anderson Verajao (30)

What's interesting is that 4 of those 5 players went on to play elsewhere. Obviously Bogans has returned, but what does that say about the Magic's ability to develop talent?

It says were not great at it. But honestly, weve been in somewhat of a black hole for stability the last few years. Rivers was awful at picking and developing talent. And weve been a revolving door ever since.

Im hoping we at least keep a regime in place to change that trend

quote:

quote:

Top 5 Magic Selections:

1. Keith Bogans (43)

2. Zaza Pachulia (42)

3. Jameer Nelson (20)

4. Travis Diener (38)

5. Anderson Verajao (30)

Go a step further and what do we have to show for Mike Miller? We sent him out for Drew and Gordon, then sent Drew, Anderson for Tony. So we turned Mike and Anderson into Tony.

What did we get for Doleac and Harpring? I can't remember.

Out of all of those picks we have a couple of little used bench players and Tony to show for it.

quote:

quote:

Top 5 Magic Selections:

1. Keith Bogans (43)

2. Zaza Pachulia (42)

3. Jameer Nelson (20)

4. Travis Diener (38)

5. Anderson Verajao (30)

Quite difficult when you're trying to rebuilding, maybe now that we have a core of good players this could improve. (Detroit is a good example)

Anyway, I'm sure that we aren't the only team with this type of problem.

Could we know the picks that make SA first?

When Gortat gets consistent minutes next year he will help our ratings a great deal being a second round pick.

Just goes to show you how good teams do not have to draft well but instead be good at recognizing underutilized talent on other teams and making deals to obtain them. We need to stop being a farm club for other teams and keep our talent.

quote:
Could we know the picks that make SA first?

I would say their superior international scouting. They really seem to know their stuff when it comes to international players, and Pop isnt afraid to put their feet to the fire and get good results

Ramon Sessions? I think I need to see more than 1 NBA game before he would even be in the Top 25 & I can't imagine Tony Parker not on that list.

A story I've prob mentioned before, but Red told the Celtics brass Parker would be a player. They ignored him, drafted Joe Forte, and the rest is history. I think when the greatest GM in the history of the sport speaks, I would listen!

Also, Harpring was traded for DeClerq. I can't recall who Doleac was traded for.

Off the top of my head, I would guess SA & SAC would be at the top of this list. I would have to look, but I'm not inclined to agree with the rest except the Bobcats.

quote:
Originally posted by Natmayo:

I would say their superior international scouting. They really seem to know their stuff when it comes to international players, and Pop isnt afraid to put their feet to the fire and get good results

This is right with players like Parker and Ginobili, but not with others.

They draft the best European player of the last years, and never put him in their roster (Scola)

They have the rights of two good centers like Splitter and Mahimi, and they still are in Europe.

But they can take the risk of waiting because they were very good in the last years.