Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

ESPN's stat freak(Hollinger) says draft is strong(frontcourt)weak(wings)Lee a "Bust"

Here's his top 15 projected 3-year PER, regardless of position:

quote:

2008 Draft: Top 15 Projected Yr-3 PER

Player Projected Yr. 3 PER School

Michael Beasley 19.19 Kansas St.

Kevin Love 17.80 UCLA

Darrell Arthur 15.82 Kansas

Marreese Speights 15.02 Florida

D.J. Augustin 14.88 Texas

Derrick Rose 14.69 Memphis

Joe Alexander 14.58 West Virginia

Brook Lopez 14.21 Stanford

Mario Chalmers 14.03 Kansas

Jerryd Bayless 14.03 Arizona

Roy Hibbert 14.02 Georgetown

Kosta Koufos 13.32 Ohio State

Donte Greene 13.17 Syracuse

Darnell Jackson 13.17 Kansas

DeAndre Jordan

13.17 Texas A&M

Courtney Lee 11.17 Western Kentucky

Sorry Marc, but D-A-M-N!! Look where he rates Speight's!!!

Also of note as you read through, CDR is higher of the 3 guards we are looking at although John says Rush may have more value than the numbers indicate because of his rep as a defensive ace.

This guy is "EXTREMELY" thorough as you will see:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/insider/column...Login02=stateChanged

Here's his top 15 projected 3-year PER, regardless of position:

quote:

2008 Draft: Top 15 Projected Yr-3 PER

Player Projected Yr. 3 PER School

Michael Beasley 19.19 Kansas St.

Kevin Love 17.80 UCLA

Darrell Arthur 15.82 Kansas

Marreese Speights 15.02 Florida

D.J. Augustin 14.88 Texas

Derrick Rose 14.69 Memphis

Joe Alexander 14.58 West Virginia

Brook Lopez 14.21 Stanford

Mario Chalmers 14.03 Kansas

Jerryd Bayless 14.03 Arizona

Roy Hibbert 14.02 Georgetown

Kosta Koufos 13.32 Ohio State

Donte Greene 13.17 Syracuse

Darnell Jackson 13.17 Kansas

DeAndre Jordan

13.17 Texas A&M

Courtney Lee 11.17 Western Kentucky

Sorry Marc, but D-A-M-N!! Look where he rates Speight's!!!

Also of note as you read through, CDR is higher of the 3 guards we are looking at although John says Rush may have more value than the numbers indicate because of his rep as a defensive ace.

This guy is "EXTREMELY" thorough as you will see:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/insider/column...Login02=stateChanged

I don't think we need to draft a guy that has one year of starting to be our saviour at pf. I think we need to find a way to move up to get Arthur, that doesn't involve trading Hedu. Then get Maggette.

Based on stats, yes he does look very impressive but think about this for a guy that average what 14-8 why is he even being talked about in the 20's? He's definatly not undersized which is what usually drops these guys. Work ethic is not something you turn off and on.

Interesting, I'm not that high on Bayless or Westbrook myself. I'm not surprised to see Augustine rate high statistically. He's also younger & more of a natural PG than Jameer was coming out so maybe he's been unfairly punished for getting shut down by Memphis.

The other 2nd round type player I've been real high on is Jamont Gordan and I'm not sure why anybody who's seen him actually play wouldn't consider him a PG. He was the biggest of their 3 guards, but he ran the team as the PG offensively. Hollinger says he rates higher there, I'd be curious how high. And, the guys 6'4 230. That's a PG with size!

Also interesting than Darnell Jackson rates so high. I think the KU front court players might be benefiting from their extreme depth and fact they could go all out for 24 a game. Still, considering that he appears to be a FA candidate, interesting.

Also interesting how far Love has moved up the past 3 months. Appears destined for Minn or Mem at this point. Kid def has game & a great feel for the game.

My 2 favorite players to add to this team back in March were Hansbrough and Love.

I think Love would be the best possible PF next to Dwight (at least offensively). Too bad everyone else caught on...

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Wow. Where is Jameer's year-three PER? Where would he get drafted?

Hollinger actually threw Jameer a little love, witness:

I'll start with the point guards, since they're the big story here. Dating back to 2002, all 12 point guards with a rating above 14.0 have been first-round picks, and the three above 16.0 were all lottery picks; this mirrors the trend we saw with the frontcourt players.

And as we saw with that group, the players rated between 12.5 and 14.0 tend to be hit and miss -- a Jameer Nelson here, a Steve Logan there -- while those below 12.5 have trouble establishing a career.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

Based on stats, yes he does look very impressive but think about this for a guy that average what 14-8 why is he even being talked about in the 20's? He's definatly not undersized which is what usually drops these guys. Work ethic is not something you turn off and on.

Marc, when word spread that Otis was sincerely interested in drafting Speight's a lot of Gator fans were chiming here on the boards and seemed sincere about their faith in him. A lot of them made mention of him being the only big guy on the team after the big "3" left. Some of them said he wasn't used properly. But very few of them felt like he wouldn't be able to impact the league.

You also have the Donovan factor. I really don't think he was into coaching last season. Especially after having graduated a lot of his champion club and then after re-nigging on the Magic.

Do you think Stan could help bring out the best in him? His projected PER is just so doggone "HIGH"! I mean in this entire draft Hollinger has his projected 3-Year PER as the 4th best in the entire draft. Almost as if he's a can't miss prospect!?