Sign in to follow this  
The Solution

"final games-different Dwight than you've ever seen"

NOt SO MAGICAL

If the Pistons do face the Magic in the first round, it will be a showdown between the NBA's most efficient offensive team and the least efficient offensive team.

The Pistons lead the league in fewest turnovers (12.2), the Magic are last (17). The Magic also rank dead last in assists.

"When you're No. 1 in the league in turnovers and last in assists, that just makes it really hard on the team," former Piston Grant Hill told reporters in Orlando last week. "I don't know how we went 13-4 (to start the season), I really don't. Because it goes against everything you think about as good basketball. We're last in turnovers, last in assists. (The media) is saying we've underachieved. Maybe we've overachieved."

Shockingly, the team turnover leader is not a point guard -- it's all-star center Dwight Howard, who coming into the week led the NBA

with 293 turnovers.

He is on pace to bust the 307 turnovers Shaquille O'Neal had in his rookie season with the Magic and is threatening Steve Francis' franchise record of 317 set two seasons ago.

As if that wasn't hard enough for the 21-year-old Howard to deal with, he got sand kicked in his face by his idol, Kevin Garnett.

"Now you're going to see what kind of player Dwight wants to be and if he evolves his game into other aspects," Garnett said. "We'll see if he starts to attack defenses differently and if he does his homework. There are ways that you can make everyone else around you better and at the same time make yourself better. But he has to do his homework to evolve his game."

Howard, who used to study Garnett game tapes and had his poster on his wall growing up in Atlanta, was hurt by the comments.

"I'm just 21 and I'm pretty sure nobody my age has faced double teams the way I'm seeing them now," he said. "The main thing is I know for me to reach the next level I have to keep working on my game. I'm just going to keep working hard and use these final (six) games to show people a different Dwight than they've ever seen."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070...RTS08/704100352/1127

Can Dwight do what he says. So far against week teams I would have to say Yes.

In the Memphis game Dwight had 2 turnovers. In the Milwaukee game Dwight had 1 turn over.

NOt SO MAGICAL

If the Pistons do face the Magic in the first round, it will be a showdown between the NBA's most efficient offensive team and the least efficient offensive team.

The Pistons lead the league in fewest turnovers (12.2), the Magic are last (17). The Magic also rank dead last in assists.

"When you're No. 1 in the league in turnovers and last in assists, that just makes it really hard on the team," former Piston Grant Hill told reporters in Orlando last week. "I don't know how we went 13-4 (to start the season), I really don't. Because it goes against everything you think about as good basketball. We're last in turnovers, last in assists. (The media) is saying we've underachieved. Maybe we've overachieved."

Shockingly, the team turnover leader is not a point guard -- it's all-star center Dwight Howard, who coming into the week led the NBA

with 293 turnovers.

He is on pace to bust the 307 turnovers Shaquille O'Neal had in his rookie season with the Magic and is threatening Steve Francis' franchise record of 317 set two seasons ago.

As if that wasn't hard enough for the 21-year-old Howard to deal with, he got sand kicked in his face by his idol, Kevin Garnett.

"Now you're going to see what kind of player Dwight wants to be and if he evolves his game into other aspects," Garnett said. "We'll see if he starts to attack defenses differently and if he does his homework. There are ways that you can make everyone else around you better and at the same time make yourself better. But he has to do his homework to evolve his game."

Howard, who used to study Garnett game tapes and had his poster on his wall growing up in Atlanta, was hurt by the comments.

"I'm just 21 and I'm pretty sure nobody my age has faced double teams the way I'm seeing them now," he said. "The main thing is I know for me to reach the next level I have to keep working on my game. I'm just going to keep working hard and use these final (six) games to show people a different Dwight than they've ever seen."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070...RTS08/704100352/1127

Can Dwight do what he says. So far against week teams I would have to say Yes.

In the Memphis game Dwight had 2 turnovers. In the Milwaukee game Dwight had 1 turn over.

See my comments in the game thread. Playing Darko with Howard would take some defensive pressure off him and allow him to dominate the rebounding. We have to defeat the obvious double team strategy they are going to use.

The only way we even make a series out of it against Detroit is show them something they are not prepared for.

If you put a starting 5 out there of Keyon, JJ, Trevor, Darko and Dwight it may catch them off guard and be enought to win you a game or 2.

If you run the same 5 guys out there that we have all 82 games, they are going to chew us up and spit us out before half time.

No one in the starting 5 spreads the floor or rebounds like Dwight. With JJ in you have a deep floor spreader. With Trevor and Darko in you have players that attack the basket at both ends for the rebounds. But then we would have to get a new coach to actually see that our best 6th and 7th man in Hill and Hedo should be role players and not starters.

all VERY good comments, ya'll....

first, it IS ALLLL about - as grant says - t/o's to assist ratio, period. as to grant's comments about under vs over acheiving? under - coached. and they're very young. so it is what it is. but it'll be tough for bo next year (to make the roster), because there'll be a trade somewhere along the line, and we're a drew gooden type + a coach away from contending for the conference. next year: deiner and/or jameer and/or hedo are dealt for a young power forward. emphasis on power. grant hill is less a factor. jj gets alot of minutes, as does arroyo at point. we draft/trade for a REAL point guard who splits time w/carlos. we draft another pure shooter, at ANY position. and there's a coaching change. it gets better by about 10 wins. watch.

Honestly I think tonights game is gonna be the toughest one that Dwight has played all year. Here is my starting Line up you can bash on it all you want but I'll explain why I think it would be a good match up.

JJ

Bogans

Hedo

Darko

Dwight

They gonna have to respect the outside shooting threat and when they double team Dwight all 4 those 4 players are able to drain outside shots... JJ Can lead our offence homey has great court vision. LOL i know its not a realist lineup but the Pistons will have to respect the outside shooters including DARKO if he is allowed to take his Jumper without getting bench. Only have one defence liability which is JJ.

I think that JJ is in no way ready to start in the nba. I do think he should play but there is no way he should start. I think that jj shoots decently but i dont think that he is really respected to the point where they wont double Dwight. JJ has missed alot of open shots lately and i can guarantee teams will rather give jj an open shot then leave dwight one on one.

quote:
Originally posted by Carlitos Way:

Here is my starting Line up

JJ

Bogans

Hedo

Darko

Dwight

They gonna have to respect the outside shooting

Carlitos, is JJ your pt. guard? I don't think Brian is going to be happy.

Garnett is jelous about Dwlight.

Howard at 20 his showing things garnett shows at 25-26 years.

Garnett is angry beacause he never gonna win a championship with minnesota. And if he dont change team, never win one.

That

quote:

Lol yea, I know in my dreams he will be running the offense. But I think he will be ready to next year to pour it on. He just has to get the sour taste of the nba out of his mouth or get used to it.

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

quote:
Originally posted by Carlitos Way:

Here is my starting Line up

JJ

Bogans

Hedo

Darko

Dwight

They gonna have to respect the outside shooting

Brian is so dumb he couldn't find his way out of a open field.