Sign in to follow this  
The Solution

New General Manager?

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

New General Manager?

A strong experienced NBA General Manager usually has a vision for the style of play he desires and seeks out a coach that is a good fit to accomplish this.

Otis and Weisbrod were assembling a team to run before the Devos family brought in Brian Hill, a coach that learned the Fratello style of play.

To this day I have no clue what style of play Otis prefers or wether he has the authority of a General Manager. I don't know what the vision is. Do you?

Look how fast Toronto has turned things around. Bryan Colangelo, the new GM has made Toronto one of the best franchise's in the NBA this year and is expected to be named the GM of the year.

Toronto has won their divison and are headed to the playoffs with more than 2/3 of the players acquired since Colangelo's employment. Do you remember players not wanting to play for Toronto? I do! Ask Vince Carter and McGrady what they think.

Colangelo, former GM of Phoenix and originator of the uptempo play at Phoenix has targeted the European style of play and has stocked the Toronto team with European talent. European players feel comfortable making the transition (Fran Vasquez anyone?). Also Toronto is expected to sign Suns asst. Marc Iavaroni, as their new head coach this summer.

Memphis' Jerry West and Minnesota's Kevin McHale are rumored to be available this summer. Should the Magic ownership be looking to acquire a experienced GM with a big vision and try to turn this franchise around?

I've always liked the idea of hiring an experienced GM but our ownership has never done it. They have always promoted from within. I read somewhere that the foundation of AMWAY, being a multilevel marketing entity, always relies on moving up from the ranks.

That has resulted in lame GMs for the majority of our history. Gabriel had his moments but he's currently working as a scout, that tells you something. Weisbrod, I think everyone agrees, was a mistake.

I just wouldn't want to get rid of Otis yet. He has shown a good knack for personnel and has drafted well with the Fran exception.

I say next year will be critical for Otis. If it's true that he cannot fire Hill, he's a lame duck.

If he cannot fire Brian Hill, how does that make him a lame duck? If the DeVos family won't let it happen, they're the real lame ducks. I don't care if Otis is the best GM in the league... If it's out of his control, it's out of his control. Hopefully, it is in his control, and he decides to let Brian go in the off season, because there's no excuse for this team not improving from last year in the win column.

quote:
Originally posted by D-BoFats:

If he cannot fire Brian Hill, how does that make him a lame duck? If the DeVos family won't let it happen, they're the real lame ducks. I don't care if Otis is the best GM in the league... If it's out of his control, it's out of his control. Hopefully, it is in his control, and he decides to let Brian go in the off season, because there's no excuse for this team not improving from last year in the win column.

I understand your point. If he can't do anything about firing Brian Hill, how can he be blamed for it?

If he can't fire Brian Hill, I say he's a lame duck because he's put in a position he can't win. His coach, IMO, prevents the team from being better. Otis is judged by the performance of his team. It is that quandary I'm refering too when I say he's a lame duck.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

sorry but comapring a GM of the year awardee to Otis is basically going way overboard. Otis is just in his 1st year as a GM.

My point exactly. The Magic should have hired an experienced GM so that we have the right pecking order and the right coach. Otis, is inexperienced and the ownership have him serving with less than adequate authority.

WELCOME TO THE NO BALLS ASSOCIATION

By Bill Simmons

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070223

ORLANDO: F-minus-minus-minus?I like Otis Smith's philosophy here: We don't own a 2007 No. 1 pick, our team is sinking like a stone, we have Grant Hill's expiring deal ($16.9 million) to move for an asset and save our season, we desperately need scoring ... screw it, let's stand pat. Hey, that's one way to keep your job -- just don't do anything. How can the Magic fire you if you don't do anything? I'd like to see how long Otis could keep this strategy going -- Orlando's owners probably won't catch on for another 2-3 years.

That's an article that Simmons wrote after the trade deadline. You heard the rumors on the board just like the rest of us did. Do you want Otis to trade Darko and Ariza for Vince? Especially since we can get either him or someone like Gerald Wallace in the offseason. Otis was smart not to mortgage the future just to try and salvage this season. Big moves made in the middle of the season usually don't result in wins anyways.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

sorry but comapring a GM of the year awardee to Otis is basically going way overboard. Otis is just in his 1st year as a GM.

My point exactly. The Magic should have hired an experienced GM so that we have the right pecking order and the right coach. Otis, is inexperienced and the ownership have him serving with less than adequate authority.

well, can you name anyone GMOY awardee that is available and looking for a team?

quote:
WELCOME TO THE NO BALLS ASSOCIATION

By Bill Simmons

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070223

ORLANDO: F-minus-minus-minus?I like Otis Smith's philosophy here: We don't own a 2007 No. 1 pick, our team is sinking like a stone, we have Grant Hill's expiring deal ($16.9 million) to move for an asset and save our season, we desperately need scoring ... screw it, let's stand pat. Hey, that's one way to keep your job -- just don't do anything. How can the Magic fire you if you don't do anything? I'd like to see how long Otis could keep this strategy going -- Orlando's owners probably won't catch on for another 2-3 years.

come on, sure Otis gets bash for holding his own and not trading for VC for that price, but its for the better of this team. Otis knows VC isn't worth that much.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

That's an article that Simmons wrote after the trade deadline. You heard the rumors on the board just like the rest of us did. Do you want Otis to trade Darko and Ariza for Vince? Especially since we can get either him or someone like Gerald Wallace in the offseason. Otis was smart not to mortgage the future just to try and salvage this season. Big moves made in the middle of the season usually don't result in wins anyways.

Please give me a break. Otis never had serious discussions with NJ on a trade. I suppose Jones hasn't been important to Miami. Had we an experienced GM, Jones might have been playing here for a vet minimum.

I just had to add this blog response to:

NO LIE: MAGIC DID INQUIRE ABOUT CARTER

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/02/magic_did_inqui.html

Brian,

somehow, I knew something like this would leak out today or tomorrow. The age-old GM standby of 'well, mactually we did try to do something before the trade deadline to improve the team, but the price was too high. And besides, I really like our guys and what we have'...'we gave it the old college try'...What a bunch of malarkey. This is about as transparent as a Jenna Jameson evening gown...give us a break already. After all the years of 'we promise to do better' and letters from VanDerWeide saying 'we're not happy with where we're at right now either...' we are still being treated to this crap?!? The coach sucks. Period. Everyone who has watched this team knows it. Otis knows it. And yet he backs him. The roster still needs to be tweaked. And yet Otis stands pat when you had several ALL-STARS out there for the taking. If this trend continues this summer, I guarantee that loud clamor for Brian Hill's head you hear now will quickly shift to Otis Smith himself. And frankly, I for one think it's about time the Devos/VanDerWeides start LISTENING to the CUSTOMER and actually start trying to put a product on the floor we can be proud of. No more fool's gold. And no more empty promises. Maybe then I will consider renewing season tickets. Until then, this franchise is just whistling dixie...and won't get another dime of money from me, or support for a new arena...or anything else which costs me time/money/effort.

quote:

quote:

Please give me a break. Otis never had serious discussions with NJ on a trade. I suppose Jones hasn't been important to Miami. Had we an experienced GM, Jones might have been playing here for a vet minimum.

And you know this because you were sitting in the Magic's board room? I like Eddie Jones game but the last thing we need is another shooting guard. Besides Eddie wanted to go to a championship contender. Everybody and their mother knew Jones was going to sign with the Heat before Memphis had even bought him out.

Now if you want to bring up a good point mention Webber. I'll agree with you on that one.

We can do an entire thread on this. Michael Jordan is in Charlotte for this very reason. I might add that there will be a coaching change and Michael's clout helps BIG TIME.

Perhaps you've forgotten how well the Wizards did with Jordan running the front office? They are just now starting to recover. The only move he had anything to do with was the drafting of Morrison. We will see how good the Bobcats are in 3 years.

Once again, it doesn't matter who the GM is. Whether its Jerry West, Jerry Colangelo, or Jerry Seinfeld if the GM's boss (the owner) doesn't want to fire the coach then the coach doesn't get fired.

Wasn't it the general idea to do an entire thread on bringing in a new GM? Thus the title "New General Manager?"

quote:

Perhaps you've forgotten how well the Wizards did with Jordan running the front office? They are just now starting to recover. The only move he had anything to do with was the drafting of Morrison. We will see how good the Bobcats are in 3 years.

Once again, it doesn't matter who the GM is. Whether its Jerry West, Jerry Colangelo, or Jerry Seinfeld if the GM's boss (the owner) doesn't want to fire the coach then the coach doesn't get fired.

Wasn't it the general idea to do an entire thread on bringing in a new GM? Thus the title "New General Manager?"

As I recall Jordan brought back the fans, took Brendan Haywood from us for a no name draft pick, acquired Butler for Brown, and has been a competitive team ever since. By the way, they are better than us this year.(ha)

I don't think Jordan had adequate time to evaluate Morrison. The draft selection was a few days after taking the job. Even I would have problems with that.(ha)

The thread is asking whether we should bring in a experienced GM. The title of the thread is New General Manager?(note the question mark)

I thought of the subject when reading that Jerry West would likely be leaving Memphis in June. This organization has made so many blunders in the past and we have a very important summer in front of us.

Seemed like a good idea to discuss the possibility of an experienced GM like Jerry West.

A strong General Mgr. has plenty to say about the coach. That's why you have some of your best coaches holding both positions. Rielly example.

You have your facts wrong. MJ Drafted Kwame Brown because he didn't believe in drafting European Players and that European player he didn't draft is known as Pau Gasol.

MJ Didn't Trade Kwame Brown for Caron Butler that was Ernie Grunfeld. Don't believe me see and read for yourself.

MJ Was Fired from Washington and They Hired Ernie Grunfeld with in days of MJ's Firing.

read below

August 4, 2005

Washington Wizards President of Basketball Operations Ernie Grunfeld announced today that the team has acquired guard/forward Caron Butler and guard Chucky Atkins from the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for forward Kwame Brown and guard Laron Profit.