Sign in to follow this  
Nick Anderson 4 President

Let's Be Real...The Call Sucked, But WE BEAT OURSELVES

I'm sure we are all saying "what if". What if that call at the end of the 3rd went our way? (BTW, it seems like those types of calls never go our way) A closer analysis of the game reveals that while we played much better overall than in Game 1, WE beat ourselves in Game 2. It wasn't the call, it wasn't the overall officiating, it was a conglomerate of reason why we lost this game. Let's visit these reasons:

-Because our defense is terrible, we tend to make the Pistons do one of two things: 1)Either score easily, or 2)Shoot free throws because we bail them out and foul them. Our lack of defense allows them to score at will and it's gut-wrenching to watch. To put it in perspective, we hit 7 straight threes in the third, only to be leading by 1. That's 21 points in that stretch we put up, not to mention the rest of the points we put up in the quarter, and yet we still could not take a significant lead going into the fourth. Even though we scored a scorching 36 points in the 3rd, Detroit also scored 28. We cannot beat the pistons unless we get stops, and our squad just seems incapable of doing so for consistent stretches.

-Our 7 straight 3's in the third was amazing, but let's get real, that is bound to never happen again. Therefore, I consider that a "fluke", which means we got back into the game on a fluke. Had it not been for that fluke, we would have probably been down by 20 going into the 4th. Please don't get me wrong, I loved watching all of those 3's go down, I'm just saying that it took literally a miracle to get back into the game because once again we weren't getting defensive stops. If we had gotten those defensive stops, we could have been up 10 or so.

-Our turnovers were killer. While most of them were in the first half, we had some critical ones towards the end. A lot of them were forced off of Detroit's defense, however many were unforced as well and completely inexplicable to SVG and the fans. As we all know, these turnovers pretty much turn into sure points off of turnovers for the veteran savvy Pistons, once again because we can't stop them on the other end.

-Our decision making late in the fourth was terrible. I know the players are playing with a lot of emotion towards the end of the game, and making these claims are easy for me to make since I was watching the game from the comfort of my place. However, Rashard making a 1 handed pass from the block to 6'nothing Jameer at quarter court was a very bad decision. Even worse was Turkoglu's 3 out of the timeout that hit the backboard and rim so hard that Illinois thought they had another earthquake coming! With 40 seconds on the clock why does he take an ill advised 3 instead of at least driving the ball in and trying to get to the line? Because he wants to be the hero? Well it's tough to be a hero when you have been struggling offensively for two series' now. Why not increase your percentages and probabilities by taking a better shot? It just seems like common sense to me. You miss the shot, now you instantly slash your team's morale because now they know they have to resort to fouling at some point to be able to get the ball back into your hands. Way to go Turk (Shot out to DOM, I see you).

-Does SVG have anything going on behind the pick and roll? Dwight picks for Jameer and Jameer rolls. Now what? The other 3 players don't move and stay camped out at the 3 while the pick and roll is going on. Hmm, let's see, I wonder if that's going to be tough on Detroit. Not at all! The reason Detroit tears into us on the pick and rolls on their end is because they penetrate well AND have great off the ball movement from the rest of their players, essentially causing mass confusion for our squad because we are terrible at rotating around. Turk, Lewis, and Dwight fall asleep constantly on assignment. Heck, maybe Jameer might have been our best defender on the perimeter! With no other movement on our pick and rolls, you reduce the game to a simple defender switch and it becomes a 1 on 1 game again. Mo is such a great cutter, he needs to be just running from sideline to sideline on every offensive set for the Magic. Run double curls off the screen. Set a double screen. There so much that could be done but I don't see SVG drawing up anything different than a simple pick and roll. Just as Detroit causes us confusion on defense through their picks, we need to do the same while they are on defense.

-Our bench is non-existent. Granted our starters are playing huge minutes, but 4 points from our bench is not going to get the job done. SVG is obviously playing our starters huge minutes because he doesn't have faith in our bench, and rightfully so. Where is that explosive Dooling we've seen throughout the season? Where are Bogan's 3s that we've gotten used to seeing. If you're not going to score, at least give us something. Rebounds, Assists, Steals, SOMETHING!

I could go on and on about our play tonight including game 1. Feel free to add to this laundry list if you like. I know I"m coming off like a pessimist and a total Magic hater, but let me just say that I love our team. The purpose of this was to expose how we beat ourselves tonight and how it didn't come down to the boneheaded call at the end of the 3rd, or Dooling inadvertently pushing down Rip Hamilton with under 30 left and being called for the foul. While we were much closer to Detroit in this game as compared to Game 1, we have too many negatives active in our gameplay right now and we will have to eliminate just about all of them to even have a prayer against a team that has a better matchup against us and are cool and calm in the playoffs. I have tickets to games 3 and 4 in ORL, here's to hoping that we do something different in the subsequent games so we can tie this series up 2-2 and actually make it interesting for the TNT guys to call. Let's turn it around Magic, game 3 is do or die.

I'm sure we are all saying "what if". What if that call at the end of the 3rd went our way? (BTW, it seems like those types of calls never go our way) A closer analysis of the game reveals that while we played much better overall than in Game 1, WE beat ourselves in Game 2. It wasn't the call, it wasn't the overall officiating, it was a conglomerate of reason why we lost this game. Let's visit these reasons:

-Because our defense is terrible, we tend to make the Pistons do one of two things: 1)Either score easily, or 2)Shoot free throws because we bail them out and foul them. Our lack of defense allows them to score at will and it's gut-wrenching to watch. To put it in perspective, we hit 7 straight threes in the third, only to be leading by 1. That's 21 points in that stretch we put up, not to mention the rest of the points we put up in the quarter, and yet we still could not take a significant lead going into the fourth. Even though we scored a scorching 36 points in the 3rd, Detroit also scored 28. We cannot beat the pistons unless we get stops, and our squad just seems incapable of doing so for consistent stretches.

-Our 7 straight 3's in the third was amazing, but let's get real, that is bound to never happen again. Therefore, I consider that a "fluke", which means we got back into the game on a fluke. Had it not been for that fluke, we would have probably been down by 20 going into the 4th. Please don't get me wrong, I loved watching all of those 3's go down, I'm just saying that it took literally a miracle to get back into the game because once again we weren't getting defensive stops. If we had gotten those defensive stops, we could have been up 10 or so.

-Our turnovers were killer. While most of them were in the first half, we had some critical ones towards the end. A lot of them were forced off of Detroit's defense, however many were unforced as well and completely inexplicable to SVG and the fans. As we all know, these turnovers pretty much turn into sure points off of turnovers for the veteran savvy Pistons, once again because we can't stop them on the other end.

-Our decision making late in the fourth was terrible. I know the players are playing with a lot of emotion towards the end of the game, and making these claims are easy for me to make since I was watching the game from the comfort of my place. However, Rashard making a 1 handed pass from the block to 6'nothing Jameer at quarter court was a very bad decision. Even worse was Turkoglu's 3 out of the timeout that hit the backboard and rim so hard that Illinois thought they had another earthquake coming! With 40 seconds on the clock why does he take an ill advised 3 instead of at least driving the ball in and trying to get to the line? Because he wants to be the hero? Well it's tough to be a hero when you have been struggling offensively for two series' now. Why not increase your percentages and probabilities by taking a better shot? It just seems like common sense to me. You miss the shot, now you instantly slash your team's morale because now they know they have to resort to fouling at some point to be able to get the ball back into your hands. Way to go Turk (Shot out to DOM, I see you).

-Does SVG have anything going on behind the pick and roll? Dwight picks for Jameer and Jameer rolls. Now what? The other 3 players don't move and stay camped out at the 3 while the pick and roll is going on. Hmm, let's see, I wonder if that's going to be tough on Detroit. Not at all! The reason Detroit tears into us on the pick and rolls on their end is because they penetrate well AND have great off the ball movement from the rest of their players, essentially causing mass confusion for our squad because we are terrible at rotating around. Turk, Lewis, and Dwight fall asleep constantly on assignment. Heck, maybe Jameer might have been our best defender on the perimeter! With no other movement on our pick and rolls, you reduce the game to a simple defender switch and it becomes a 1 on 1 game again. Mo is such a great cutter, he needs to be just running from sideline to sideline on every offensive set for the Magic. Run double curls off the screen. Set a double screen. There so much that could be done but I don't see SVG drawing up anything different than a simple pick and roll. Just as Detroit causes us confusion on defense through their picks, we need to do the same while they are on defense.

-Our bench is non-existent. Granted our starters are playing huge minutes, but 4 points from our bench is not going to get the job done. SVG is obviously playing our starters huge minutes because he doesn't have faith in our bench, and rightfully so. Where is that explosive Dooling we've seen throughout the season? Where are Bogan's 3s that we've gotten used to seeing. If you're not going to score, at least give us something. Rebounds, Assists, Steals, SOMETHING!

I could go on and on about our play tonight including game 1. Feel free to add to this laundry list if you like. I know I"m coming off like a pessimist and a total Magic hater, but let me just say that I love our team. The purpose of this was to expose how we beat ourselves tonight and how it didn't come down to the boneheaded call at the end of the 3rd, or Dooling inadvertently pushing down Rip Hamilton with under 30 left and being called for the foul. While we were much closer to Detroit in this game as compared to Game 1, we have too many negatives active in our gameplay right now and we will have to eliminate just about all of them to even have a prayer against a team that has a better matchup against us and are cool and calm in the playoffs. I have tickets to games 3 and 4 in ORL, here's to hoping that we do something different in the subsequent games so we can tie this series up 2-2 and actually make it interesting for the TNT guys to call. Let's turn it around Magic, game 3 is do or die.

Is it just me or does Dooling have a fetish for pushing down the opposing teams player when the game is on the line at the end of the 4th qtr?

Disappointed for telling the truth? For God's sake, man, GET A GRIP! NA4P, you are on the money. I know this loss hurt you as much as it hurt me, which is a great deal, but we can at least go to sleep tonight knowing that we can at least see things clearly. The myopic and futile attempts on this board to blame the officiating rather than the Magic's incompetence is rather embarrassing.

The truth hurts, fellow Magic fans, and the truth is that Detroit beat us by 8 points. You can't take away the 3 at the end of the third quarter, the 19 turnovers, the bad pass by Rashard, or the stupid shot by Hedo. It's time to come to terms with reality: we lost this game. The sooner you realize it, the better the victories in games 3 and 4 will taste.

Thank you, I absolutely agree that the call was a bad call, and I think there were some bad calls in the 4th qtr. on both sides, and probably a few more that went in the Pistons favor, but the game was still in the balance, and both teams had an opportunity to win.

I will never believe that the NBA wants the Pistons to win, we are widely considered a very boring team by most casual fans, and we don't have the star power on our team that brings good TV ratings.

The Magic simply didn't play as well in the 4th as they did in the 3rd, had they kept playing the way they did in the 3rd, I believe they win this game fairly easily.

I expect the Magic to win at least 1 of the two games in Orlando, and possibly both. This Series is far from over, and I know neither team has played their best basketball yet in this Series.

Exactly, the truth hurts. It was killing me to have to write that post. TRUST ME I wish I could be writing right now about our triumphant win in Detroit and how we stole home court. Instead, the Magic are proving that while we are a tough team, I'll give them that, we just aren't there yet with soem of the elite of the NBA.

In our defense though, as far as matchups go, I think playing the Pistons for us is like playing the team in the finals. IMO there is no harder team in the league to play against than the pistons. If we can get past the Pistons, I have no reservations that we would have a chance to make it all the way to the finals, and actually have a decent chance of winning it all. I'm praying that we can find a way to conquer the Pistons in Games 3 and 4! I think it's going to take unbelievable shooting by us all the way through the game in order to do so. We'll see though, home court has been good to us so far!

It's called MOMENTUM... a bad call like that CRUSHES a team's mentality.

If you don't believe that, if you believe players are ****ing robots with no emotion whatsoever, than you are ****ing moronic.

The calls were horrible (and you would feel the same way if it happened to your team), and that ONE play (like Charles and Kenny said in "Inside the NBA") changed the entire layout of the game.

Period.

quote:
Originally posted by Give Me Redick All Day:

It's called MOMENTUM... a bad call like that CRUSHES a team's mentality.

If you don't believe that, if you believe players are ****ing robots with no emotion whatsoever, than you are ****ing moronic.

The calls were horrible (and you would feel the same way if it happened to your team), and that ONE play (like Charles and Kenny said in "Inside the NBA") changed the entire layout of the game.

Period.

I understand what you are trying to say, but it's up to the players to play thru it and overcome it. There was still a whole qtr of basketball to be played, and they didn't play as well in the 4th as they did in the 3rd. Many teams, including the Pistons have had to play with horrible calls and over come it.

I know you won't believe me when I say this, but if this would have happened to the Pistons, I would be on the Pistons board writing the same thing "Nick Anderson 4 President" wrote, that's just the truth weather you believe it or not. I just wouldn't be able to blame a loss on one bad call, which again I believe it was, when there was that much time left in the game and only down 2 points.

Trust me, the Pistons have dealt with horrible calls, we played the Heat in 2 Eastern Conference Finals where the refs gave Dwyane Wade phantom call after phantom call, but the Pistons didn't play well enough to win in the 2nd ECF with Miami, and didn't do a good job forgetting the refs, and playing thru it. In the 1st ECF with the Heat they did, and they won because they remained focused and took care of business.

There are horrible calls that happen all the way thru the Playoffs for every team, the best teams, the Championship teams are the teams that can play thru it and win in spite of it.

We did not beat ourselves.

We got ****ed by that call, we would of had possession with 17 seconds left, leaving detroit to foul us. Instead of trying to tie the game.

It killed our momentum we had from the 3rd qtr.

Detroits last 11 points were all free throws, they did not score a FG from the 5 minute mark.

They called bull**** fouls on us, like the one Jameer supposedly did while detroit was inbounding the ball..That gave them 2 free throws.

They called a foul on keyon, while RIP tripped like a little *****.

Whenever we drove it to the hole and get hammered we never got a whistle. Lets not even talk about how Theo leveled Dwight in his face when he got dunked on...No call.

I know we made turnovers and what not, but that was our game that got stolen from us.

quote:
Originally posted by Catman Forever:

Disappointed for telling the truth? For God's sake, man, GET A GRIP! NA4P, you are on the money. I know this loss hurt you as much as it hurt me, which is a great deal, but we can at least go to sleep tonight knowing that we can at least see things clearly. The myopic and futile attempts on this board to blame the officiating rather than the Magic's incompetence is rather embarrassing.

The truth hurts, fellow Magic fans, and the truth is that Detroit beat us by 8 points. You can't take away the 3 at the end of the third quarter, the 19 turnovers, the bad pass by Rashard, or the stupid shot by Hedo. It's time to come to terms with reality: we lost this game. The sooner you realize it, the better the victories in games 3 and 4 will taste.

Well said.....