Sign in to follow this  
Fern1960

Ok, let's be realistict and name the free agents PG's for 07-08....

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Forget Atkins. He, like Meer, is only 2.523 feet tall and wouldn't help our backcourt height issues. How about trading Jameer to NY for Lee ... they could use another pg (smile). Seriously, I think management sticks it out with Meer for another year (no extension) and tries to sign VC. This summer should be wild.

I would love to have David Lee but I know the Knicks aren't going to trade him for anyone not named Dwight. They already have 3 shoot first point guards so I doubt they have any interest in Jameer.

I think if this team wants to be a conterder next year Chancey Billups is the man to sign.

Where is this team hurting the most? With Jameer Nelson at the PG position is this team a contender? You have a starting lineup with the following players and you are a contender right away....

PG Chauncy Billups

SG JJ Redick

SF Trevor Ariza

PF Darko Milic

C Dwight Howard

216277743_95177a61ec.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Forget Atkins. He, like Meer, is only 2.523 feet tall and wouldn't help our backcourt height issues. How about trading Jameer to NY for Lee ... they could use another pg (smile). Seriously, I think management sticks it out with Meer for another year (no extension) and tries to sign VC. This summer should be wild.

I would love to have David Lee but I know the Knicks aren't going to trade him for anyone not named Dwight. They already have 3 shoot first point guards so I doubt they have any interest in Jameer.

Sure they will ... as long as we include some bigger contracts like Pat's that they can buy out. And yes, Zeek would want Jameer to team with Starbust (I mean X-Files, I mean Marbury), Catfish (Francis), and Mini-Me (Lil' Nate). He's starting a collector's edition of undersized, ballhoggin', turnover prone, cartoon type pgs.

LOL, well if the Knicks will trade David Lee in exchange for Jameer and Garrity then I'll be all for it. By the way, Garrity's contract won't have value until around the trade deadline. A team isn't going to trade for Garrity's contract so they can buy it out. That wouldn't make any sense. He also has a trade exception which makes it even more difficult to trade him.

I think you're joking so I'll leave it at that.

quote:

I like Blake, but it sounds like he is very happy in Denver and the Nuggets are very intent on re-signing him. He fits well there because with AI and Melo he does not have to create, just play solid defense, distribute the ball and knock open jumpers when left alone.

Good one to keep an eye on if Denver tries to low ball him.

Yes, that

quote:
By the way, Garrity's contract won't have value until around the trade deadline. A team isn't going to trade for Garrity's contract so they can buy it out.

could, but with Garrity's trade kicker and expiring contract, that would mean 7 million off their cap.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

quote:
with chauncey we would become a contender immediately, there's no doubt for me. he should definitly be our first pick in this years FA. but we also should have a second option, just for the case. i can't see toronto dealing calderon and we'd have to overpay blake if we want him here. but i don't really think he could solve our problems. if we can't get billups, i say sign one of the the greek PG papaloukas or diamantidis.
While I like the idea of signing an international player, I think its a risk mainly because we don't know whether how fast or how well they can translate and adopt to the NBA game.

i don't think that would be a big problem, just look at the raptors. they signed calderon and garbo and both are playing great.

quote:
Originally posted by CRAZY SERB:

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

quote:
with chauncey we would become a contender immediately, there's no doubt for me. he should definitly be our first pick in this years FA. but we also should have a second option, just for the case. i can't see toronto dealing calderon and we'd have to overpay blake if we want him here. but i don't really think he could solve our problems. if we can't get billups, i say sign one of the the greek PG papaloukas or diamantidis.
While I like the idea of signing an international player, I think its a risk mainly because we don't know whether how fast or how well they can translate and adopt to the NBA game.

i don't think that would be a big problem, just look at the raptors. they signed calderon and garbo and both are playing great.

well, will it also be the same case for us? no.

you see, it you draft or sign a player that hasn't stepped into the league yet, you don't know what he is going to turn into.

true, but there's always a risk with aquiring new players, not just internationals and rookies. grant to orlando, stackhouse to washington, brown to LAL, francis to NY (ok, this was a bad one LOL), marbury to...well, every team he was traded to LOOOOOOL

you have to be smart when you aquire new players, toronto was smart while NY for example wasn't that smart (hahaha).the most of european players with some expirience are already build players and they are very smart too (see calderon and garbo)

Jaric is a mediocre player. Is in the NBA because is serbian and has fame of great basketball players. NOTHING MORE.

I saw him play in europe and in his national basketball team.

We have much better player than Jaric in our team.

quote:
Originally posted by D-BoFats:

In a perfect world...

Our management (minus Brian Hill) would sit down with Travis Diener and tell him if he worked his butt off in the off season, he could earn some major minutes next year and potentially start.

The thing with Travis is that I think that is what he heard last year. He played great in the summer league and expected a chance to prove himself. I think he'll take a good offer from a team looking for a back-up.

Obviously Billups would be an upgrade since he is one of the best in the league. However, he has to be over 30 and paying him a ton of money might not be smart. Many of the key players on this team are not developed enough yet to win a championship (Dwight). Also, Nelson is only in his 3rd year and as we all know PG's take a while. However so many people on this message board are so impulsive and impatient that they fail to give this any consideration. Nelson is doing much better than Chauncey was in his third year, and many people thought he was a huge bust for being the 3rd overall pick. The fact is playing poing guard in the NBA isn't something you learn overnight. It took Chauncey 6 seasons of floating around different teams and shooting horribly (33 percent in 99-00) fo finally be successful with the Pistons. The Magic would be foolish to blow it. This team isn't ready to win yet anyway. Lets look at some free agent SG's or SF's.