Sign in to follow this  
Fern1960

Ok, let's be realistict and name the free agents PG's for 07-08....

Realistically, I don't see the Magic signing a PG via Free Agency.

Billups is a pipe dream and we'd eat deep into our already tight cap space to sign even Chucky or Blake.

A much more likely scenerio would be signing a wing player and then making a trade for a complimentary PG.

Earl Watson & Chris Duhon would be ideal because of their D. Both were available at times this season, niether will likely be available this offseason.

Sarunas Jaskevicius - I would trade Arroyo for him in a heart beat, but he might be one of the few players who would actually make our D worse.

I'm not sure who's available that could be had and would improve our PG rotation.

quote:
Originally posted by The Ghost of John Gabriel:

Realistically, I don't see the Magic signing a PG via Free Agency.

I agree. At the end of the day, the FA PGs we would be able to sign do not significantly improve on the people we already have.

Our PGs aren't that great but they are probably as good as half the teams out there. In other words, they're average. And short of Billups, every other name out there is average.

Chucky and Darrel at their peak were better than what we have, but not anymore.

Our Point Guards are shoot-first, pass later guys. But so are all but a chosen few in the NBA. Kidd, TJ Ford, Nash come to mind. Not many others.

I wonder if there is any chance in hell the Magic could trade up to acquire Mike Conley Jr (pg for Ohio St)? He was simply unbelievable as a freshman for Ohio St this year.

I don't see who we could possibly trade that a team would want to give up a top-6 pick.

Well I think Chauncey is the best option for the Magic, but he will likely stay here with the Pistons.

Blake would be an improvement in the area of running the team as a true point guard, but he would not make the team a whole lot better. Denver is going to try to resign him.

What about Mo Williams from the Bucks?? He is a free-agent this off-season. I know he is more of a scoring Point guard just like Jameer is, but he is better at running an offense too (6.2 AST., and just better getting teamates good looks, and controlling tempo), also a good rebounder for a PG, and his size (6'1). Better defender too. And he has hit some clutch shots at the end of games. Actually he reminds me of a young Chauncey Billups (not as big or strong as Chauncey but otherwise...), he's only 25 years old. I think he would fit pretty nicely with the Magic, he's young, has potential, and already a better player than Jameer. I don't think he would make the Magic instant contenders for the East crown, but he would make the team better. And with a couple other additions they could be.

What do you Magic fans think about Mo Williams??

quote:
Originally posted by RIP CITY:

What about Mo Williams from the Bucks?? He is a free-agent this off-season. I know he is more of a scoring Point guard just like Jameer is, but he is better at running an offense too (6.2 AST., and just better getting teamates good looks, and controlling tempo), also a good rebounder for a PG, and his size (6'1). Better defender too. And he has hit some clutch shots at the end of games. Actually he reminds me of a young Chauncey Billups (not as big or strong as Chauncey but otherwise...), he's only 25 years old. I think he would fit pretty nicely with the Magic, he's young, has potential, and already a better player than Jameer. I don't think he would make the Magic instant contenders for the East crown, but he would make the team better. And with a couple other additions they could be.

What do you Magic fans think about Mo Williams??

I am with you on Mo Williams as far as realist options go for us the off season. He is not a true point but neither is Chauncy. He is however a PLAYMAKER and thats something that we don't have.

About Greek pg's... Teo Papaloukas is one of the smartest players curently in the world. If you can, take a look at some of his games for national team an CSKA Moscow. When they played Clippers last year he was holding pg class 4 Cassel and Livingston.

Greetings from Serbia

quote:
Originally posted by master yoda:

About Greek pg's... Teo Papaloukas is one of the smartest players curently in the world. If you can, take a look at some of his games for national team an CSKA Moscow. When they played Clippers last year he was holding pg class 4 Cassel and Livingston.

Greetings from Serbia

Not to short change Papaloukas because he might be a fine pg but Cassel is 41 years old and couldn't possibly care less about the preseason. Livingston is another "potential" guy that wouldn't know how to play the point if someone slappped him with Magic Johnson's autobiography.

honestly, i followed jameer through college, where he was my favorite player to watch, so i am going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and say that he would do better if the magic could just get out and run a little more. all throughout his time with the hawks, they fast breaked and he succedded. i just think jameer would do better in a fast pace offense, instead of walking it up and running a half court offense. also, i will say that i am sure that he would get more assists when get out and run, for example, more plays like his oop to D Howard against the Celtics.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Not to short change Papaloukas because he might be a fine pg but Cassel is 41 years old and couldn't possibly care less about the preseason. Livingston is another "potential" guy that wouldn't know how to play the point if someone slappped him with Magic Johnson's autobiography.

I was not talking about one on one game.

It was about how he run every atack like a true pg. Real playmaking - finding the best solution.

But I can see your point about Cassel and especially on Livingston.

Greetings from Serbia

I don't thinkn Livningston will still be a good bet with the 3 of the 4 major ligaments of his right knee being torn.