Sign in to follow this  
EnFuego

The Strange Case of Keith Bogans

i think that bogans deserves more minutes. its one thing to go to a different rotation and just ignoring your best 3pt threat who by the way can play defense. Bogans has behave live a true professional and i applaud him for that. To me he is a great resource we have, another option on nights when our starters are struggling, which is every other day!

It may not have been Brian's choice.

He may have received direct orders from above to start playing JJ as the backup SG so that they can evaluate him going into the off-season.

The Magic know that during the wheeling-and-dealing of this upcoming off-season that JJs name will come up in a lot of discussions.

They need to know his value, and how important he is to the future of this team (or if he needs to be a 'chip' to play in a trade situation).

Keith Bogans is who he is. They know exactly what skills he possesses.

What they don't know is what they truly have in JJ.

I differ with you Charisma and concur with most of the previous postings. Bogans is not the player everyone thought he was. If he had played like he have with us for his previous team they would had signed him back. This year he showed a very effective weapon from the 3 point area and his defense was above his average. He's always being a hard worker, but it seems that now is when all that work started to show it's benefits. As for JJ I think the Administration knows what he did and what he can do on this league. Bogans right now has better skills than JJ. In addition to hit the three point shot, which both of them are capable to, Bogans is a finisher in the transition. Also he can penetrate and have more resources to make the penetration basket than JJ. JJ penetrates and throws his body against the defender and prays for a call, but his shot attempt has very low percentage (Arroyo style). That's what we have seen from the beginning and for him to learn new skills will take longer. Bogans had to have a fight with Hill. It all starter more or less by the time him and Carlos were not satisfied on the way Hill was using them (last two months) and I think they had to say something. I don't blame the guy. If anyone deserves to criticize Hill is Bogans. He started as the first replacement. Then he played so well when Grant got injured he became the starter. Grant came back and he went back to replacement. Then back to regular. Then when Grant came back again instead of being the replacement he was sent to the obscure bench and was replaced by Dooling. Since then, he has never being happy. His minutes when down faster than the water falling from the Niagara. Either Brian Hill is Brainless Hill or they had some words.

OsoTommy, I don't disagree with anything you are saying, and your scenario may very well be accurate.

I was simply offering a different possible scenario, not necessarily convinced that it is the correct one.

The handling of Bogans puzzles me too.

Your guess is as good as mine !!!

Keith Bogans is a player this year that I have been pleased we acquired. To have come at his rate and apply effectiveness in areas of need saw pretty solid success. He may not of brought the defense that we were wishing for but for my money he was very effective. Effectiveness is something that wouldn't have been associated to kindly toward the individuals of this team this year.

On the Grant issue, I'm one of many fans. However, with that I have a view with this team that may not bode well with many and that is a team without Grant Hill. I love Grant and what he's tried to do, minus the heroics he has been along with many, disappointing. With a player like Grant there is a reliance, even at this stage of his career and with that I believe he is a piece that must not be retained, player wise. We have to build individuals together that can build a reliance on each other. Bogans is an effective piece with good skills who should be utilized. Its a shame when you see guys like Bogans, JJ, Diener, Augustine all slumped on the bench. It isn't good for the direction of this team and for me we should be and were to be in a stage of growth and it should begin with utilizing talents and building formats and enhancing foundations that we've laid.

Bogans I like.

Originally posted by OsoTommy:

Also he can penetrate and have more resources to make the penetration basket than JJ. JJ penetrates and throws his body against the defender and prays for a call, but his shot attempt has very low percentage (Arroyo style).

You can also say Jameer style,because arroyo is 42% and Jameer is 43% not much difference.just let the guy breath man!!

OMG! I was going to comment on that but then this will turn into a J VS A thread and I'm not going do it. So no comment on your comment chevy. Sorry. Maybe in another thread.

quote:
Originally posted by nbr3345:

Keith Bogans is a player this year that I have been pleased we acquired. To have come at his rate and apply effectiveness in areas of need saw pretty solid success. He may not of brought the defense that we were wishing for but for my money he was very effective. Effectiveness is something that wouldn't have been associated to kindly toward the individuals of this team this year.

On the Grant issue, I'm one of many fans. However, with that I have a view with this team that may not bode well with many and that is a team without Grant Hill. I love Grant and what he's tried to do, minus the heroics he has been along with many, disappointing. With a player like Grant there is a reliance, even at this stage of his career and with that I believe he is a piece that must not be retained, player wise. We have to build individuals together that can build a reliance on each other. Bogans is an effective piece with good skills who should be utilized. Its a shame when you see guys like Bogans, JJ, Diener, Augustine all slumped on the bench. It isn't good for the direction of this team and for me we should be and were to be in a stage of growth and it should begin with utilizing talents and building formats and enhancing foundations that we've laid.

Bogans I like.

Like you mentioned we should be thinking in our future but that is achieved better with a mix of young and veteran players so that the young ones can learn the tricks and sacrifices this league demands from you if you were to be successful. A team that has no veteran guides tends to get bad habits. It's extremely hard for a coach to teach those essentials. There was a thread here about coaching experience where the topic about leadership was discussed. This is something that you learn the best when your best players show commitment with the team and the coach. If they are in-line, no one else would dare to provoke the system and they will listen what's being said by those above them. This year has being a great example. Coach Hill tried to put in charge of the team rookies in Jameer and Dwight. What happened? They failed. Now at the end of the season we noticed how Grant has taken the baton and lead the team to where we should be. Everyone is following his lead and we are turning into a better team. Hopefully Bogans will integrate soon to the rotation because he's a strong and very versatile shooting guard and we'll need him if we were to go into the playoffs.

Garrity doesn't play because he is arguably the worst player on the team. Bogans deserves some playing time. Shame we're too guard heavy to play Bogans, yet we don't have a PG we can rely on to get his team mates involved without turning the ball over.