Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Grant Hill: My Duke Team Would Beat Gators! (Denton blog)

Mods if you wanna move it go for it. Grant Hill is employed by the Magic. He created this blog for Mr. Denton. So, it is somewhat Magic related.

Anyway, I was in the mood to talk some hoops and do some Gator bashing! Anybody else besides me get Gator fans in their face Tuesday morning proclaiming Florida the greatest team of alltime? This blog on the site of the Florida Today newspaper has almost 4,000 hits already. Mods, let it play for awhile. I'm curious what the fellows think.

quote:
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:20 pm Post subject: GRANT HILL: MY DUKE TEAM WOULD BEAT GATORS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grant Hill is still a true-blue Dukie, but he actually spent the NCAA tournament pulling for the Florida Gators to repeat as national champions.

Hill, you probably remember, was on the last college basketball team to win consecutive national championships in 1991 and

Mods if you wanna move it go for it. Grant Hill is employed by the Magic. He created this blog for Mr. Denton. So, it is somewhat Magic related.

Anyway, I was in the mood to talk some hoops and do some Gator bashing! Anybody else besides me get Gator fans in their face Tuesday morning proclaiming Florida the greatest team of alltime? This blog on the site of the Florida Today newspaper has almost 4,000 hits already. Mods, let it play for awhile. I'm curious what the fellows think.

quote:
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:20 pm Post subject: GRANT HILL: MY DUKE TEAM WOULD BEAT GATORS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grant Hill is still a true-blue Dukie, but he actually spent the NCAA tournament pulling for the Florida Gators to repeat as national champions.

Hill, you probably remember, was on the last college basketball team to win consecutive national championships in 1991 and

Not being a Dukie or a Gator, I agree mostly with what Grant said.

But his statement that none of the Gators are as good as Weber, Rose or Juwan is ridiculous.

Horford and Brewer are definitely better than Rose or Juwan, and maybe as good as Weber.

Even Noah is probably as good as Juwan.

Sorry, Grant, but that part of your argument holds water like a screen door.

And for you, Junkie, congrats on your new coach.

Let me start off by saying i'm a huge gator fan. But I can't stand when the "who would beat who" question is posed. It's IMPOSSIBLE to know if the Duke team would of beaten Florida and vice versa. We can't put the Gators on the same court as Duke, or UNLV, or the UCLA teams. It's all speculation on to who is better and I don't like it. Why can't we just say they were all great teams and leave it at that? I hate subjective questions, it leads to njothing but headaches.

I would have to go with the 1982 UNC championship team that had

MJ, James Worthy, Sam Perkins, and Matt Doherty

as the best ever.

Best team not to win a championship still has to be Houston's Phi Slamma Jamma.

To this day, I have not forgiven Guy Lewis for that debacle.

What an awesome team. Hakeem and Clyde the Glide.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

Best team not to win a championship still has to be Houston's Phi Slamma Jamma.

To this day, I have not forgiven Guy Lewis for that debacle.

What an awesome team. Hakeem and Clyde the Glide.

If they had won it, they would have topped my list. The Patrick Ewing Georgetown team was a great one as well.

Charisma, there is no way Horford was as good as Juwan Howard. Howard was also only a freshman or sophomore at best. Howard in college could step out and hit mid-range jump shots all day long. Horford can't do that.

I do like Brewer. I would still call it a wash though. Brewer is a better defender but Rose was a little more accomplished offensively.

And there is "no" comparison between Webber and Noah except length of hair!(lol) I know you know what I'm talking about.

Again, the Michigan boys were sophomore's at best.

Charisma, I like the Cat's new coach! It won't be long before they're back on top. Whether Billy Donovan is there or not!(lol)

Offensively, I might agree with you in the comparison between Howard and Horford, but Horford is as good if not better on the boards and probably a better defender.

Overall, I am probably still suffering from some anti-Wolverine sentiment I picked up from living in the Detroit area for 6 years. Those alumni are downright obnoxious !!!

Yeah, that's right. It's me calling someone else obnoxious.

The real question is, am I the pot or the kettle?

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

Horford can't hit mid range jmpshots? How many gator games have you seen the last couple of years?

Not many! And you just reminded me of another complaint I have why the Gators could not have beaten Michigan.

As Grant says, because of all the young guys entering the NBA draft these days college is a watered down league. It's just a fact. In those days the college guys were older and more mature physically and mentally.

All the good college guys head for the NBA. Except the Florida players this year. Donovan recruited good players who came from family's that were well off financially. I know you guys know the story.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

And you just reminded me of another complaint I have why the Gators could not have beaten Michigan.

We can disagree about the comparison of talent, but one thing I doubt that we disagree on is who the better coach is. Billy Donovan compared to Steve Fisher?

That alone gives the win to the Gators.

Ugh.... why am I being a Gator supporter?