Sign in to follow this  
magicdepth

The Official JJ Redick Appreciation Thread

I disagree. Just because I have a particular stock sitting in my portfolio, doesn't mean that I am forced to like it. If that stock underperforms, it gets ditched quicker than JJ can get off the bench with 2 minutes remaining in a 25 point blowout.

I'm curious. What happened to all the fans that were so bold last year with their predictions that JJ would prove me wrong? Where are all the fans that proclaimed JJ would become a big factor on this team after he performed well in meaningless Summer League games? Where is all the support that JJ will be anything other than another Duke bust in the NBA?

JJ's role on the team has actually been reduced in his second year, along with his 3pt% and his ft%. Some sharp shooter. No wonder he can't scratch any playing time. His free throw percentage is 9th on the team, and his 3pt percentage is 6th on the team.

The kid is a joke. Drafting him was a joke. Expecting him to compete at this level is a joke. And expecting me to support him just because he wears the blue & white is a joke.

But then again, maybe he'll have another productive game in 12 minutes of another meaningless game that will convince me to turn the page. Yeah right!

BTW, anybody else realize that JJ led the team in PF's last night in only 12 minutes?

You're a very angry guy. Get over it already...

We all get the fact that you and some others hate him. I don't know why you have to continue beating a dead horse.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

I don't know why you have to continue beating a dead horse.

'Cuz live horses kick back...

Burn!

Not only is smack a JJ Hater but a Duke hater so what doess that tell you. Hill, Brandt, Boozer, Dunleavy, Deng, Duhon, etc. are all busts.

Give me a break what a childlish statement. He led the team in personal fouls..LOL! Now that is nitpicking and talking out two sides of the mouth. First he plays no defense then he is ridiculed for playing too hard. Do you know insane that sounds? Before he couldn't even score in meanliness games now he can score only in meaniless games? Which is it smack?

He played very well last night and even received a bad call on the foul where he scored. So get off it smack and leave the hate out of this thread. You must have had a loveless childhood to hate so deeply.

Let's say hypotheticaly that Fran Vazquez came over and played for the Magic the first year after being drafted, and he demonstrated time and again that he didn't belong on the court with other bonafide NBA talents. Wouldn't he get criticized roundly? Wouldn't he get booed instead of cheered every time he got off the bench? Wouldn't management get chastised even more than they do currently because he would be a well known bust instead of an unknown commodity?

My point is, that wasted draft picks all over the league fall out of favor with fans very quickly when they don't perform adequately. JJ has some serious inadequecies, masked by only one recognizable strength (and even that strength doesn't seem so darn strong when you reference his shooting percentages against quicker more athletic defenders in the NBA as opposed to college). He has been in the NBA for 2 full seasons and hasn't proven that he deserved to be selected in the draft at all, much less the lottery. If it wasn't for his Duke Golden Boy status protecting him, IMO there would be many more Magic fans angry over a wasted lottery pick, especially when considering a pick had been wasted the year prior as well.

And it just gets so darn frustrating when JJ has one solid game, once every two months, against bench players in mop up duty, and immediately threads start popping up about JJ deserving more PT, our coach being stupid for not using JJ more often, and hyper ridiculous statements like "bogans may be loosing some playing time in the playoffs. way to go jj."

quote:
Originally posted by magic07:

Not only is smack a JJ Hater but a Duke hater so what doess that tell you. Hill, Brandt, Boozer, Dunleavy, Deng, Duhon, etc. are all busts.

Give me a break what a childlish statement. He led the team in personal fouls..LOL! Now that is nitpicking and talking out two sides of the mouth. First he plays no defense then he is ridiculed for playing too hard. Do you know insane that sounds? Before he couldn't even score in meanliness games now he can score only in meaniless games? Which is it smack?

He played very well last night and even received a bad call on the foul where he scored. So get off it smack and leave the hate out of this thread. You must have had a loveless childhood to hate so deeply.

I don't hate Duke at all. Matter of fact, I was a huge Duke fan during my childhood. Must be all the love I didn't get from my parents during that stage of my life that drove me away from being a Duke fan though, right?

Keep the posts on topic Redick groupie.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Let's say hypotheticaly that Fran Vazquez came over and played for the Magic the first year after being drafted, and he demonstrated time and again that he didn't belong on the court with other bonafide NBA talents. Wouldn't he get criticized roundly? Wouldn't he get booed instead of cheered every time he got off the bench? Wouldn't management get chastised even more than they do currently because he would be a well known bust instead of an unknown commodity?

My point is, that wasted draft picks all over the league fall out of favor with fans very quickly when they don't perform adequately. JJ has some serious inadequecies, masked by only one recognizable strength (and even that strength doesn't seem so darn strong when you reference his shooting percentages against quicker more athletic defenders in the NBA as opposed to college). He has been in the NBA for 2 full seasons and hasn't proven that he deserved to be selected in the draft at all, much less the lottery. If it wasn't for his Duke Golden Boy status protecting him, IMO there would be many more Magic fans angry over a wasted lottery pick, especially when considering a pick had been wasted the year prior as well.

And it just gets so darn frustrating when JJ has one solid game, once every two months, against bench players in mop up duty, and immediately threads start popping up about JJ deserving more PT, our coach being stupid for not using JJ more often, and hyper ridiculous statements like "bogans may be loosing some playing time in the playoffs. way to go jj."

If you can provide me instances where JJ proved over and over again he didn't belong on the court i'll take your side.

But you know as well as I do he's never really been given a chance to make it here. If he played consistent minutes every game and sucked, i'd have no problem with your position. But you know there isn't a young player in this league that would perform if they played 3 minutes of every 10th game or so.

You hate Duke. You hate JJ's rabid fans. I get it. I don't have a problem with that. I just don't think it's fair for you to have expectations from a guy that isn't allowed to prove himself for the good or bad.

jj cant be judged at the professional level until he gets consistent minutes. he has yet to get consistent minutes.

i like how he played with fire against the hawks starters last night although. ill take 11 points, 3 fouls in 12 minutes, hell i would take 22 points in 24 minutes along with 6 fouls. thats what we need from him, scoring.

however, i must say that what i enjoyed most about his performance last night was how he wore out salim stoudamire...who was hitting a lot of threes in the third and early fourth...once he was put on jj, he was too tired to score. so in essence, jj not only had good 'O', but he took one of their scorers out of the equation in the fourth by wearing him out running around...ala rip hamilton. keep it up jj, you might just find yourself playing more.

hes entitled to his opinions, kberto. hes obviously in the minority, so dont be too concerned about it.

people are running out of negatives for jj, so just give it time. reasonable and experienced people understand that you cant be/arent judged at the professional level until you get a legitimate chance to play regularly. jj hasnt gotten that opportunity once. it has nothing to do with who he is personally, every player that makes it to the nba gets that chance, because it takes a certain level of talent to make it as far as he has.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

I thought he did a fantastic job staying with Childress who is faster and taller. He kept a body on him and kept him off the offensive boards. Can't ask for too much more than what he did out there last night.

I pretty much agree with this sentiment.

But so much for the Official JJ Redick Appreciation Thread. Might as well rename it to some title like every other JJ ambush/bashing thread.

It's a shame, I haven't had been the biggest fan of Keyon Dooling playing point guard or Keith Bogans' overrated existence on the court period. But when they DO do things well I do my best to recognize it and praise them for it. Heck I even do that with Pat Garrity for goodness' sake and I've wanted him off the team for years.

I wish all Magic fans would feel that way. In the end they aren't Laker players, Heat players, or Raptor players. They're Magic players and at the end of the day we should support our team and hope they do well... and be HAPPY when they do well. Except of course for some people around here it's all about b***hing, moaning, and complaining no matter how well the team or the individuals on the team do, but that's not gonna stop me from thinking that our fans should be more supportive than that. Especially when the Playoffs are about to start.

I'm not saying our guys should get a free pass and everything's rosy, I'm saying our guys should be treated fairly and objectively based on what they do on the court and that you should always root for them to succeed.

Alright , I've wanted to say that for a while... rant over.

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

If you can provide me instances where JJ proved over and over again he didn't belong on the court i'll take your side.

How about two different NBA coaches that have decided JJ hasn't earned minutes.