Sign in to follow this  
chosen12

To what degree do we hold Otis and the RDV ownership accountable?

Directly after the T-Mac trade and the explosion of the 03 team, the Magic ownership (Vanderwiede) took out a full page of the Orlando Sentinel promising a greater commitment from ownership, management and the players. The question is, what did we get (if anything) since that promise was made, and who else besides Otis needs to be accountable?

There are a couple of directions you can take, positve ex; Everyone held up their end of the commitment, or the negative ex; we have been deceived once again. If you are undecided or on the fence, that also counts, but who has dropped the ball since the...... GREAT COMMITMENT OF 2003?

Directly after the T-Mac trade and the explosion of the 03 team, the Magic ownership (Vanderwiede) took out a full page of the Orlando Sentinel promising a greater commitment from ownership, management and the players. The question is, what did we get (if anything) since that promise was made, and who else besides Otis needs to be accountable?

There are a couple of directions you can take, positve ex; Everyone held up their end of the commitment, or the negative ex; we have been deceived once again. If you are undecided or on the fence, that also counts, but who has dropped the ball since the...... GREAT COMMITMENT OF 2003?

Ownership is to blame.

It's not that they aren't trying to keep the promise. It's that they are simply incompetent.

The re-hiring of Brian Hill, and the drafting of Fran Vasquez despite Otis' objections, are primary indicators.

DeVos is DeVoid of any NBA ownership skills.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

Ownership is to blame.

It's not that they aren't trying to keep the promise. It's that they are simply incompetent.

The re-hiring of Brian Hill, and the drafting of Fran Vasquez despite Otis' objections, are primary indicators.

DeVos is DeVoid of any NBA ownership skills.

Isn't it ironic that an organization built upon multi-level management and marketing could be that clueless about management? As for the promise, from what you have stated, all we got out of it is Otis?

well, as far as the Brian Hill signing is concerned, RDV is accountable, coz he thought it was a move that could bring back the Magic spirit in the community, but who would fauly him when it is a business move at that time?

Exactly. All we got out of it was Otis.

The best thing about the Magic organization is its General Manager. The owner, coach, and president are entirely different stories. (in that order)

Ownership should take responsibility for the Brian Hill hire because I think Devos is the only one that really approved of it. As for the other stuff like drafting Fran I really dont know if Devos has any input into those decisions. He doesn't even seem like a basketball guy so my guess is he didn't have anything to do with it.

I've said it before but I think Otis has done a very good job. If what I've heard is true drafting Fran was Brian Hill's decision and to a lesser degree Twardzik. The only move that I question a little bit is signing Bogans. Even that I can understand because JJ was hurt when we drafted him and left us with Dooling and a often injured Hill to play shooting guard.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

well, as far as the Brian Hill signing is concerned, RDV is accountable, coz he thought it was a move that could bring back the Magic spirit in the community, but who would fauly him when it is a business move at that time?

I definitely fault him for that, even as a business move. He simply doesn't get it. If you want to have a successful NBA franchise, you simply need to focus on one thing: winning.

Instead, he chose to go with a PR move instead of hiring a quality head coach.

Fault him for that? Yep !!!

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

O.K. I am in total agreement about the coach, but what did we get out of all the promise's??? What was accomplished, and are the lies still rolling in, or do we trust Otis (and only Otis) to come through for us?

Next Fendi, if BHill remains the coach, is that considered a promise fulfilled or denied??

If ownership allows Otis to do his job then in my mind they are holding up their end of the bargain. Devos has shown the willingness to spend money to put a winner on the court. Obviously, it usually hasn't worked out the way we hoped but I can't question the intention.

I will say that if Napoleon returns next season I will have to question ownerships desire to put a winner on the court. It will be clear to me that they are only concerned with getting a new arena deal and the rest is rhetoric.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

I will say that if Napoleon returns next season I will have to question ownerships desire to put a winner on the court. It will be clear to me that they are only concerned with getting a new arena deal and the rest is rhetoric.

Same question emory889, is that considered promise fulfilled or denied?? I think it is denied, and with his recking ball managerial style, could have also placed the new arena in jepordy as well!!!