Sign in to follow this  
richnba

ESPN: How the East will end up, Magic predicted out in 5 against Detroit

-- This Orlando team is still not ready for title contention. Detroit's frontcourt is too much for this Orlando team -- Antonio McDyess, Rasheed Wallace, Jason Maxiell, Amir Johnson and now Theo Ratliff. They have too many big guys they can throw at Howard, who's bedeviled by poor free throw shooting (59.8 percent).

The Magic's other problem here is no adequate matchup for Chauncey Billups -- Carlos Arroyo and Jameer Nelson are smaller point guards. Hedo Turkoglu should have been an All-Star, but the Pistons still have Tayshaun Prince and Richard Hamilton. This series is a matchup made in heaven for Detroit. (Pistons in 5)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080312

-- This Orlando team is still not ready for title contention. Detroit's frontcourt is too much for this Orlando team -- Antonio McDyess, Rasheed Wallace, Jason Maxiell, Amir Johnson and now Theo Ratliff. They have too many big guys they can throw at Howard, who's bedeviled by poor free throw shooting (59.8 percent).

The Magic's other problem here is no adequate matchup for Chauncey Billups -- Carlos Arroyo and Jameer Nelson are smaller point guards. Hedo Turkoglu should have been an All-Star, but the Pistons still have Tayshaun Prince and Richard Hamilton. This series is a matchup made in heaven for Detroit. (Pistons in 5)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080312

I have no problem with anyone picking the Pistons in 5, but I do have a problem with someone making that prediction who obviously has no clue as to the make-up of this team, or it's historical problems with Detroit.

Hey Jon, the front court is the LEAST of our worries. It's the BACKCOURT that's our Achilles heel.

Heck, even someone like Brian Schmitz is smart enough to know that !!!

Mike Bianchi? No, he's probably not smart enough....

Well, at least we got the credit that we would beat the Wizards! They could have easily said something like, 'With the return of Arenas and Butler, the odds favor the Wizards.' So at least we get that nod right?? Someone saying the Pistons beating us in a 7 game series is certainly understandable, but us only winning one game?? I think at least 2 goes in our favor. We're better than last year, but then again, the Pistons have a good bench, an aspect of our team that I don't particularly like. I'm thinking the deciding point between the 2 teams this year is going to be based more on the bench output. So here's hoping we can hang.

-Charlius-

I can see us getting past the second round, analyst and fans alike are still looking at the Pistons as the team that malled us last year, we showed this year we can beat them, if Detroit comes to this series expecting a easy road to the Conference finals, and play conservative to be rested for Boston we will surpise them.

If Cleveland can do it, we sure as hell can.

I for one believe in Magic!!!!!

Magic in 7 against Detroit, this season has been about destroying the past, we have ended many ah streak this year, so lets end one more if we get Detroit, why cant we be the team that ends their 5 years streak of East dominance

I think if we play against Boston and Detroit. Chances of us winning is 50-50. DH can shut down KG easily.

As for Cleveland, it is a one man team, they always keep the game close and let LBJ take over in the 4th quarter to get a win.

Boston and Detroit can always out score them at the first 3 quarters and then double team LBJ at 4th to foce him to give up the ball in every pocession. I would think it is easy to shut that team down when you know that's the only way they gonna win.

A lot of people fail to recognize that we were swept last year because B Hill refused to utilize Dooling's defensive prowess at the PG to match up with Billups, and instead opted to play Jameer 35 minutes straight up. One of the reasons we have been successful against Detroit this year is because, not only has SVG utilized Dooling to defend Billups, but has also matched up Bogans and Evans on Billups.

I must say though, Detroit is a much better, much deeper team than they were last year. They've improved 6-12 in their rotation. Their bench is downright scary.

Maxiell, Johnson, Stuckey, Afflalo, Rattliff, Hayes, Dixon, Herrmann are pretty tough coming off the bench.

Seriously? I hope the Magic just run over the other Eastern teams. We've beat Detroit and Boston already this year, I see no reason why we couldn't continue to do so. Especially with our road record.

I think Detroit would have to many bigs to throw at Dwight plus they are allowed to be way more physical in the playoffs.

The key on offense will be how efficient the Magic's shooters can be and if Dwight can make 70-80% of his free throws so they do not break out the Hack-A-Superman trick.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

I must say though, Detroit is a much better, much deeper team than they were last year. They've improved 6-12 in their rotation. Their bench is downright scary.

Maxiell, Johnson, Stuckey, Afflalo, Rattliff, Hayes, Dixon, Herrmann are pretty tough coming off the bench.

I have to agree with you there - that bench is really good.

Our only chance against Detroit is if we shoot lights out, hit 'em early, make them run. Honestly, I think Stan could figure something out and we could steal one of the first 2 games in Detroit. If that happens - we could win in 7.

I have this weird feeling that we're going to be in the East Finals.. I don't know. It could just be wishful thinking, but.. Everybody keeps ignoring this team, I love it. The more they ignore us - the better I feel about our guys being ready. Motivation is your best friend in the playoffs.