Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

2008 Draft deep at PF:

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

Hansbrough comparison on nbadraft.net is a fan favorite of ours, Mr. Udonis Haslem.

ZOMG!!1!

Although, it may be unfair to compare Tyler to the god that is Haslem.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by 30Assists:

I think with Shard and Hedo in there, we've got the mid- to long-range covered. Plus, with Jameer coming in, I think the last thing we need is another guy that plays outside the post and is out of position when his 15-footer misses.

So you don't think that our current spacing situation optimally allows Dwight to work unencumbered in the paint? You don't think spacing is necessary? You don't recognize te necessity of spacing? You'd prefer to have another big body in the paint clogging things up? You'd prefer that another big defender was within close range of doubling Dwight with D12's limited interior passing capabilities?

Clog the paint with two guys on the court at the same time with no outside shot (Dwight and whom ever) and you are going to take away the ability of Hedo and Lewis to drive to the basket. It was a long time coming, but now Lewis is starting to be more than just a spot up shooter, we wouldn't want to force him and Hedo back into this role would we?

A solid 15 foot jumper would fix this. Team rebounding would make up for him being out of position, that and the beast that is Dwight.

If you target a guy without an outside shot I would have to think he would mostly play relief minutes for Dwight, not along side him.

quote:
So you don't think that our current spacing situation optimally allows Dwight to work unencumbered in the paint? You don't think spacing is necessary? You don't recognize te necessity of spacing? You'd prefer to have another big body in the paint clogging things up? You'd prefer that another big defender was within close range of doubling Dwight with D12's limited interior passing capabilities?

Okay, not sure where I said any of that, but I'll respond with this:

Hedo can shoot threes and drive. Rashard can shoot threes and drive. Jameer can shoot threes and drive.

I mention those three because, if we add a PF, that's the likely starting lineup (Hedo at SG, 'Shard at SF, and 'Meer at the PG, natch).

This is what I've seen in the games so far: Dwight's down low, Hedo has the ball. Shard's probably somewhere around the free throw line or three-point line - understandable because then he has the option of a step-back three, or driving by his (likely slower) guy.

Jameer's likely at the top of the key or moving around that area: there for an outlet pass. Of course, Hedo's out there, too.

Evans is running around like a mad man, but typically settles down somewhere from mid- to long-range.

So the shot goes up, doesn't really matter who shoots it. Unless it's a Dwight dunk, it probably has about a 50% chance of going in (or less 46-ish, let's say).

This is where my point comes into play: Dwight's guy boxes him out if he has any talent whatsoever. All the other guys just have to turn around - 'Shard and Hedo don't even try to hit the board because they'd have to clear 15-20 feet to do so: not worth the effort at that point. 'Meer might get a weak-side board, but that's rare.

Orlando is ranked 28th in Offensive Rebounds, so I'm not exactly talking out my butt, here.

So here we go: Dwight's just gotten the ball in the paint. Another year older and wiser, Dwight's presumably become better at passing out of the inevitable double team that's coming.

So you have the three aformentioned players standing (or moving) on the outside, probably around or beyond the three-point line to open as much space as possible for Dwight. So where's the fourth guy?

Am I saying that Dwight should give him a piggyback ride around the court? No. Am I saying that he should post up on the same side as Dwight? No.

I'm saying that he should be on the weak side, near the post, so that his defender can't just leak off and go get Dwight. So that if Dwight's being doubled, he's being double by a big and a small, as opposed to two bigs.

This guy should have a respectable mid-range game, but doesn't need to have a shot that stretches much further than the free throw line. He needs to be able to QUICKLY get in and get a board, if necessary.

Will this cut into Dwight's rebound totals for a season? Probably. Will we win more games because the other team doesn't get all the offensive boards? Probably.

I don't have a problem with a guy who does the Doleac or Horace Grant thing - an honest 10-15 foot shot to keep defenses honest, but I want the dude down low more often than not, in position to get the rebound so that we get a fresh 24 and another chance to score when we inevitably miss.

The spacing issue is an interesting 1.

You can create plenty of spacing with ball & player movement. Ei, Utah & Detroit. So, yes, I think Dwight could play with a PF who has no outside shooting ability, as long as that player can make teams pay for doubling off him.

The flip side of this however is that I'm not sure our coach is willing to make the necessary adjustments to allow Dwight to play next to a legitimate PF.

But, I find it difficult to imagine Hendrix fitting the mold of PF who opens up the floor for Dwight.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

DJ Augustine is a spitting image of Meer

I wonder if we can solve pf in draft, sign Duhon in offseason, and with Vet min get another center, would we be set?

My ideal offseason would be to resign Dooling and Evans. Trade JJ and our first round pick to move up and select Hansbrough in a draft day deal (if Hansbrough falls to us than we can keep JJ). Then use our MLE to target a SG like Pietrus, combined with using our BAE to bring in another big body (Turiaf? Gomes? Herrmann?), then use a vet min to sign a 3rd string PG to replace Arroyo.

Jameer/Dooling/?

Pietrus/Bogans

Turk/Evans

Shard/Hansbrough/Cook/Fran or ?

Dwight/Battie/Foyle/Gortat

I'm in favor of anything that puts Jameer on the bench behind a true PG who defends & we need front court help!

I think Duhon & Pietrus' values are at an all time low and I would try to get greedy. I also like Azubuike, Diop, & Wright. If Otis could squeeze any 2 of these players out of the MLE, I'd be thrilled.

I really don't see Maggette opting out and taking less to return to Orlando, but it's not entirely unthinkable. He & Dunleavy have never seen eye to eye & his parents still live here.

Draft, how about a compromise, we draft Hansbrough in the first round, acquire a second and draft Dorsey!

I see a more Haslem/Shaq marriage. Haslem can hit a 10-15 footer, but usually bangs down low and beats the crap out of the other team's PF, and outhustles them. That's all I want.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

DJ Augustine is a spitting image of Meer

I wonder if we can solve pf in draft, sign Duhon in offseason, and with Vet min get another center, would we be set?

My ideal offseason would be to resign Dooling and Evans. Trade JJ and our first round pick to move up and select Hansbrough in a draft day deal (if Hansbrough falls to us than we can keep JJ). Then use our MLE to target a SG like Pietrus, combined with using our BAE to bring in another big body (Turiaf? Gomes? Herrmann?), then use a vet min to sign a 3rd string PG to replace Arroyo.

Jameer/Dooling/?

Pietrus/Bogans

Turk/Evans

Shard/Hansbrough/Cook/Fran or ?

Dwight/Battie/Foyle/Gortat

my ideal offseason would be yeah resign dooling and evans. draft a haslem type PF, draft random 3rd stringer for 2nd round (PG probably). (then as much as i like turk) trade turk and nelson + fillers to CHI for hinrich and nocioni(after nelson new contract kicks in). convince maggette to play for us with the MLE.

line then would be:

pg: hinrich, dooling, 3rd PG

sg: maggette, evans, jj?

sf: lewis, nocioni?, cook

pf: nocioni, rookie PF, cook,

c: dwight, battie, foyle, gortat

i think chi might consider this as hedo has been tearing it up and kirk has been lately shooting horribly. kirk has been in a slump but he still can provide all NBA defense at pg and is a good distributor. we wouldnt need hedo dominating the ball then. nocioni is a tougher brian cook, what we exactly need at the pf position.

highly unlikely but i like that lineup, thats why its just a dream i guess=)

quote:
Originally posted by noypi_magic:

my ideal offseason would be yeah resign dooling and evans. draft a haslem type PF, draft random 3rd stringer for 2nd round (PG probably). (then as much as i like turk) trade turk

I stopped reading right here

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:

my ideal offseason would be yeah resign dooling and evans. draft a haslem type PF, draft random 3rd stringer for 2nd round (PG probably). (then as much as i like turk) trade turk

I don't blame you.

quote:
Originally posted by DLO:

quote:

quote:

I don't blame you.

haha, lolz. thats why i put the: as much as i love turk.

well i really do hate trading turk but i think we would be getting very nice pieces in return. hinrich and nocioni. hinrich would solve all and i mean all problems at the pg. hes tall, sees the floor, good at penetrating and dishing and is a superb defender( the best wade defender). well he has been slumping this season and i guess overpaid, thats why i believe he is available. and well nocioni hes a tough brian cook. who doesnt love a tough brian cook? that would be the perfect compliment to dwight.

well for CHI if they dont/cant resign deng then turk would be their man. and well other than that i really dont know why chicago will do this deal. lolz.

and yeah dear turk, please forgive for everything i have done this day.=)

quote:

Draft, how about a compromise, we draft Hansbrough in the first round, acquire a second and draft Dorsey!

Perfect! How about you and I contact the Magic front office and schedule a meeting with Otis to become part time consultants for the scouts?

quote:

quote:

Perfect! How about you and I contact the Magic front office and schedule a meeting with Otis to become part time consultants for the scouts?

In all seriousness, Otis has promised Junkie a personal interview with him in the near future. Perhaps you guys can go with him???