Sign in to follow this  
the notorious S.A.C.

trade dwight for oden straight up.

when i saw this i just started laughing...paused for a breath...and continued laughing...dwight has more upside then oden both offensively and defensively

quote:
Originally posted by lemonice1:

quote:
Originally posted by the notorious S.A.C.:

you want stockton to malone for 10 years....exactly...ZERO CHAMPIONSHIPS...

When you say he hasnt proven a thing...I assume you wouldnt trade howard for some guy who graduated LSU a few years ago just because he hadnt played a nba game ...or some guy from wake who hadnt played a game...or some guy guy from phi slamma jamma...talents like oden, shaq, and duncan and hakeem dont come around too often and while howard is a total stud there are other reasons to make the trade.

...oden is much more of a sure thing than dwight was 3 years ago, not just according to me but according to any draft site you want to check out. Orlando was debating an undersized okefor vs dwight in a weak class unti the end but we would definately have opted for durant or oden if they were in that class over dwight. Now throw in 8 million for a free agent ta boot and its a done deal. Throw in 3-4 years of having a stud at less than a mid-level exemption and it makes total financial sense. Plus not strapping yourself to a grant hill max contract to protecet the franchise from catastrophic injury and it makes more sense...if we have to wait a couple years for him to blossom its not like this franchise hasnt been in rebuild for 10 years. besides brian hills stupidity may have gotten into dwights head and set him back 5 years.

This reminds me of the Chicago Bulls trading Elton Brand to the Clippers for the rights to Tyson Chandler. How did that turn out for the Bulls?! LOL!

OUCH!!!! That hurt..... LOL

quote:

Are you referring to the tyson chandler who sits ahead of dwight in rebounding and is essentially equal in blocked shots per game?

I'm referring to the Tyson Chandler that has a career average (6 yrs in the league) of 7.5 pts, 8.5 rbs, 1.5 blk, and 60% from the foul line. That's the same Tyson Chandler that the Bulls refused to resign after averaging 5 pts and 9 rbs.

Compare that to the man the Bulls originally traded him for, Elton Brand. Brand's career averages are 20.3 pts, 10.2 rbs, 2.1 blks, 73% from the foul line, etc.

My point was simply to remind you of the trade the Bulls made years ago... trading a promising young player (Brand) for a raw talent (Chandler). That trade didn't work out well for the Bulls. The trade you are proposing (Howard for Oden) seems similar to me, although Howard and Oden have more upside than Brand and Chandler.

I bet you would be hard-pressed to find one GM (besides Isaih) that would trade Howard for Oden. Matty Goukas has said many times that Oden worries him because he has heard from several NBA insiders that Oden doesn't really like to play basketball. Seems risky to me...

Now trading Bosh straight up for Howard? Hmmm....

We can all post trades of established talents for potential so nice job even though chandler appears to be finally developing.

Your example is a poor one however...and you still just dont get it.

Since you seem to like examples let me show you how oden and 8-10 million cap space for howard works and try to follow this one if you will

There was a team a few years ago...that traded an talented and established 27 year old starting center (who would go to the all star game) for an 18 year old kid who had only played in high school and wasnt even drafted in the top 10. Granted, brand was better than this center, but at the time oden would have been drafted 13 picks higher than the high school kid who was sure to get eaten up when he finally played nba level competition. The team that traded the veteran also got rid of enough salary to even pick up some high dollar free agent to pair with him the kid and help bring his game along. The 8-10 million from not having to sign howard to a max deal vs oden could be very similar to hellp bring in a high level free agent. Are you seeing the whole picture yet?

The unproven kid from high school would team up with the the talented center acquired with the cap money acquired from the trade to win three championships and the orlando magic would flounder away the next ten years wondering how jerry west got the money to sneak shaq out of orlando and how kobe got picked up for vlade and some cash.

I know its a reach to see it but if we did have front office talent like the lakers had in 1996 maybe we could take the chance for greatness rather than a stab at another 10 years of mediocrity. Unfortunately the front office here is about as smart as a rusted nail and could never pull this off.

Again, no GM in the league would trade Howard for someone completely unproven such as Oden.

You have this opinion of Oden that is completely unjustified. Saying he's better than when Duncan came out of college is ludicrious.

I hope Oden is everything you think he is. The NBA always needs better centers, and watching Howard and Oden develop should be fun.

quote:

And how many championships has brand brought the clippers?

It almost seems like you are inferring that Brand is the reason the CLIPPERS have not won a championship. WOW... I guess Garnett, Malone, Barkley, etc were the reasons their teams never won championships.

I respect your opinion Sac, but this is the most ridiculous statement I've read thus far from these boards since I saw a "Start Pat Garrity" thread. Why on earth would you trade a proven big man in the NBA for talent that's more raw than sushi. Greg Oden, to me, is a carbon copy of Tyson Chandler the way that he's playing right now. If you placed Dwight against any college team out there he would bring down the hoop and shatter the backboard.

Also, some members are saying that Oden is only 18. And? Dwight's only 21, and he's constantly facing double/triple teams!

One last statement, others are saying that Oden has a more polished offensive game then Dwight? Are you even awake yet? How can you say that a college player who averages nearly 16 points a game at the college level has a better offensive game than one who is averaging nearly 18 points in the NBA!

I guarantee that if Dwight decided to go to college (UNC was his choice) instead of joining the pros he would have averaged monster numbers at the collegiate level. Oden also averages many blocks because he mostly catches inexperienced and ****y college guards that try to drive the lane. I've seen MANY of his games.

Seriously, the guy hasn't even set a foot on an NBA court yet, and you're labeling him with more overall potential than Dwight? Simply ridiculous.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

Also, some members are saying that Oden is only 18. Ridiculous.

Excuse me? Oden is only 18? Sorry, when I was watching the tourney this year I would have bet next months salary he was a 40 year old man.

One of those dominant centers that surfaces every 10 years." NBAdraft.net.

This is a good place to start to see what draftniks think of Oden. They havent been so complimentary of a player since Shaq. Maybe you should take up discussion with them and tell the people who do this for a living they dont know what theyre talking about. CNNSI, ESPN, Hoops hype all share the opinion Oden is the best #1 since shaq.

Oh I was mistaken the difference between Odens cap figure and howards may be 12-14 million. I notice no one seems to comment on that part of the trade. It is a significant connsideration that merits looking at. We can all rah rah our own dwight because its all our team has but the business of the NBA is about cap space AND players. Oden gives a talented player and boat loads of cap room. Whats the risk we do great with #1 picks....its the rest we screw up on!