Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Schmitz is ready to blow up the Magic; Otis says Brian "will" be back(blog)

I can't believe nobody has posted this. Maybe things are getting so bad with our team that everybody is jumping ship!(lol) I hope not. And I'm sorry to have to rain on everyone's parade. It seems everything concerning the Magic lately is negative.

quote:

Magic Need A Major Overhaul

Posted on Apr 2, 2007 12:20:21 PM

The Magic have wanted to inject some stability into their roster and front office after the carousel of coaches and players spinning through town recently.

(T-Mac out, Steve-o in.

(Doc Rivers and Johnny Davis out; Brian Hill in.

(Steve-o out; Ariza in.

(Cato out, Darko and Carlos in.

(GM John Weisbrod out, Otis Smith in.)

But this summer, they need to try to make more major changes.

1. They need to try to acquire a true point guard. It's not all Jameer Nelson's fault. He is just not built to be a traditional point, and thus the turnovers and his trouble running the offense. He's really a scoring guard, but there aren't any 5-10 shooting guards.

The Magic don't feel Carlos Arroyo is the answer, either.

They probably can't pry Chauncey Billups from the Detroit Pistons, but maybe an unspectacular free agent-to-be like Steve Blake --- a pass-first point --- could at least direct traffic and make teammates better.

2. They need a go-to guy. Hard to get both a point AND a scorer for the end of games or when you are in a tight spot. But Nelson, as much as he tries, can't always be that option at the end of games. Grant Hill, at 34, can't bring it every night. Hedo Turkoglu is too streaky (and might want to take a seat behind Trevor Ariza.)

And Dwight Howard is too young and offensively raw for go-to duties.

3. They need another big, another veteran preferably. This situation could really be crucial if the Magic decide to let Darko Milicic go as a free agent or they author a sign-and-trade to find a point guard or scorer. If they keep Darko, he will eat up a good portion of their cap room, which means the same team, basically, comes back.

4. Brian Hill bashers want a new coach. But unless there is a sea change at the top, the Magic are not going to overrule GM Otis Smith, who told me a few weeks ago that Hill will be back next season.

5. The Magic need Howard to resculp his offensive game. He might be better served staying home or going to Pete Newell's big-man camp than traipsing around this summer with Team USA and posing for pictures.

The list goes on, but the Magic better go back to the drawing board.

I also thought I would post this for everyone that's on the Vince Carter wagon like me that's hoping he can boost our scoring from the wings.

The Nets had a season ticket get together where they promised the people that they had the best chance to get Carter and that they planned on bringing the big three back next year.

Here it is:

quote:
Nets owner Bruce Ratner and president Rod Thorn have both publicly stated their desire to sign Vince Carter should the star guard do as expected and opt out of the final year of his contract once the season ends.

Now the Nets' general manager has said the same.

Speaking to a group of season ticket- holders before the Nets beat the 76ers at the Meadowlands on Saturday night, Ed Stefanski made it clear that the three key men in the organization are all on the same page.

"Personally, I would like to sign Vince Carter," Stefanski said. "He is one of the best players in the NBA."

Stefanski told the fans that the Nets will have a better chance of signing Carter than any other team, especially since Ratner has told him and Thorn that he'd be willing to go over the luxury tax if that's what it takes. Ratner said the same to reporters several weeks ago.

While there is speculation that the Nets could sign Carter and then trade him, or trade one of the team's other big stars, such as Richard Jefferson and possibly even Jason Kidd, Stefanski hinted that the Nets would like to keep that group together.

"I'd like to see us with the Big Three healthy," Stefanski said.

Among other topics, the GM also said that one of the Nets' offseason priorities will be to add an athletic big man to the roster.

See, I'm just full of good news today!(sarcasm)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/2007/...ants_vince_back.html

I can't believe nobody has posted this. Maybe things are getting so bad with our team that everybody is jumping ship!(lol) I hope not. And I'm sorry to have to rain on everyone's parade. It seems everything concerning the Magic lately is negative.

quote:

Magic Need A Major Overhaul

Posted on Apr 2, 2007 12:20:21 PM

The Magic have wanted to inject some stability into their roster and front office after the carousel of coaches and players spinning through town recently.

(T-Mac out, Steve-o in.

(Doc Rivers and Johnny Davis out; Brian Hill in.

(Steve-o out; Ariza in.

(Cato out, Darko and Carlos in.

(GM John Weisbrod out, Otis Smith in.)

But this summer, they need to try to make more major changes.

1. They need to try to acquire a true point guard. It's not all Jameer Nelson's fault. He is just not built to be a traditional point, and thus the turnovers and his trouble running the offense. He's really a scoring guard, but there aren't any 5-10 shooting guards.

The Magic don't feel Carlos Arroyo is the answer, either.

They probably can't pry Chauncey Billups from the Detroit Pistons, but maybe an unspectacular free agent-to-be like Steve Blake --- a pass-first point --- could at least direct traffic and make teammates better.

2. They need a go-to guy. Hard to get both a point AND a scorer for the end of games or when you are in a tight spot. But Nelson, as much as he tries, can't always be that option at the end of games. Grant Hill, at 34, can't bring it every night. Hedo Turkoglu is too streaky (and might want to take a seat behind Trevor Ariza.)

And Dwight Howard is too young and offensively raw for go-to duties.

3. They need another big, another veteran preferably. This situation could really be crucial if the Magic decide to let Darko Milicic go as a free agent or they author a sign-and-trade to find a point guard or scorer. If they keep Darko, he will eat up a good portion of their cap room, which means the same team, basically, comes back.

4. Brian Hill bashers want a new coach. But unless there is a sea change at the top, the Magic are not going to overrule GM Otis Smith, who told me a few weeks ago that Hill will be back next season.

5. The Magic need Howard to resculp his offensive game. He might be better served staying home or going to Pete Newell's big-man camp than traipsing around this summer with Team USA and posing for pictures.

The list goes on, but the Magic better go back to the drawing board.

I also thought I would post this for everyone that's on the Vince Carter wagon like me that's hoping he can boost our scoring from the wings.

The Nets had a season ticket get together where they promised the people that they had the best chance to get Carter and that they planned on bringing the big three back next year.

Here it is:

quote:
Nets owner Bruce Ratner and president Rod Thorn have both publicly stated their desire to sign Vince Carter should the star guard do as expected and opt out of the final year of his contract once the season ends.

Now the Nets' general manager has said the same.

Speaking to a group of season ticket- holders before the Nets beat the 76ers at the Meadowlands on Saturday night, Ed Stefanski made it clear that the three key men in the organization are all on the same page.

"Personally, I would like to sign Vince Carter," Stefanski said. "He is one of the best players in the NBA."

Stefanski told the fans that the Nets will have a better chance of signing Carter than any other team, especially since Ratner has told him and Thorn that he'd be willing to go over the luxury tax if that's what it takes. Ratner said the same to reporters several weeks ago.

While there is speculation that the Nets could sign Carter and then trade him, or trade one of the team's other big stars, such as Richard Jefferson and possibly even Jason Kidd, Stefanski hinted that the Nets would like to keep that group together.

"I'd like to see us with the Big Three healthy," Stefanski said.

Among other topics, the GM also said that one of the Nets' offseason priorities will be to add an athletic big man to the roster.

See, I'm just full of good news today!(sarcasm)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/2007/...ants_vince_back.html

I keep looking at the Sixers roster while considering Summer trade possibilities. Ander Miller sure looks like an intriguing prospect to run our offense. Iggy could be our answer at the SG spot.

Anybody think that Philadelphia would ponder a Jameer Nelson & Darko Milicic for Ander Miller & Ander Iguodala trade.

They would get a hometown kid and a center piece big man while we would get 13 assists per game from Dre & Iggy. Not to mention, Ander is scoring 18 points per game this season while snatching 5 boards.

The possibilities are mind boggling.

The sixers have played much better wihout AI. There's no way they'll give up Iguadala.(did I spell that right?)

Iguodala was disappointing the 76ers and probably available before the IA trade. He's playing far to well now.

A trade involving Miller & Nelson may interest Phily. Nelson needs to be matched with a player like Iguodala if he has any hope of succeeding as a starter.

But, isn't Larry Brown with Phily now? I don't see Jameer as his type of playa???

I am only thinking in terms of the hypothetical now. Those things that are certain are way too depressing.

Therefore, the only way I can enjoy my day while being a Magic fan is to come up with ridiculously impossible trades that will improve our team and my overall outlook.

I don't know if anybody read the bottom part of my opening post about Vince but I'd like to ask a question for anyone that could respond.

As I've always maintained on these boards I am not great at salary cap talk or the understanding of it. I guess it's to much math.(lol)

Here's my question, if Jersey is gonna throw all this money at Vince how the heck are we gonna be able to compete with the dollars it sounds like they are gonna throw at him?

And one more. I know Vince wants to play here but is it realistic to think he would take a "paycut" to play here?

Please let your answers be positive, I can't stand any more negativity associated with my team!(lol)

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Is this for real? Is he saying that the Magic top brass wouldn't mind seeing Brian go but they would have to OVERRULE Otis?

I can only assume one of these is true.

1. I read it wrong.

2. Otis is crazy and delusional, and incompetent, and knows nothing.

3. This is a smoke screen by the team.

4. Brian Schmitz doesn't know what he's talking about.

5. All of the above.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

I don't know if anybody read the bottom part of my opening post about Vince but I'd like to ask a question for anyone that could respond.

As I've always maintained on these boards I am not great at salary cap talk or the understanding of it. I guess it's to much math.(lol)

Here's my question, if Jersey is gonna throw all this money at Vince how the heck are we gonna be able to compete with the dollars it sounds like they are gonna throw at him?

And one more. I know Vince wants to play here but is it realistic to think he would take a "paycut" to play here?

Please let your answers be positive, I can't stand any more negativity associated with my team!(lol)

I think that New Jersey is posturing. They probably are willing to offer him more money per year for a shorter term. But we can likely offer him more money overall with a more lengthy contract.

NJ: 2-3 years for 30-40 million

Orl: 4-5 years for 40-50 million

The more I think about it, I don't know what the heck we should do. Vince would be great, but we will part with 2-3 key players to acquire him (unless he is willing to take a drastic pay-cut...or, Pat & Dolling both opt out). Should we consider players like Matt Carrol, Jason Kapono, Mo Pete, etc, that will be much more affordable and won't dominate the ball as much? Or, is Dwight really 2-3 years away from being a dominant player anyway and therefore we should get the biggest scoring option available to plug the hoel at SG?

Also, what are we going to do with our draft picks? Arroyo? Turk? Bogans? Gortat? Augie?

We have waaaaaayyyyyy too many questions and not nearly enough answers.