Sign in to follow this  
Franchise408

Denton: Now Retired, Hill Didn't Deserve Criticism While With Magic

First off, Geddy Lee may have sang them, but those are Neal Peart's words.

And my observation about your opinions was not specific to the Grant Hill issue.

Oh my!

Well the same basic reasoning could apply to any number of things where information is lacking, and most of the things people form strong opinions about lack adequate information. Are you saying that's a bad thing?

Yes. What I'm making fun of is 30 assists calling the other guy obtuse for reaching a different conclusion. Marc and I disagreed on the interpretation of events earlier in this thread and we discussed differing opinions without insulting each other.

As for your second paragraph, I get that you're criticizing me, but I'm not sure what you mean by that. I don't know what being an all time QB means in this context. Please explain.

I called him obtuse for reaching the conclusion that Magic fans had no right to boo Grant Hill. Not understanding why people, specifically Magic fans, would boo Grant Hill is...obtuse.

I stand by that.

If you're a Grant Hill fan and love the guy and think he carried the Magic team from the bench or whatever, fine: I see things differently. If you don't think I have a right to that opinion, especially on a board dedicated to fans of a team he shafted? That's dumb, or stupid, or obtuse: take your pick.

Grant ate up tons of cap space, his one All Star appearance was a van vote artifact more than any stats he put up that year. With Grant, it's more the juxtaposition between this "OMG HE'S SUCH A SUPER AWESOME GUY AND IS THE GOODEREST PERSON IN THE UNIVERSSSSSEEEEEE!!!!"-crap compared with his: "thanks for the $93 million check for me to rehab my ankle! Suck it, Orlando!"

Shaq played out his contract. PLAYED out his contract. He actually stepped on the court for more than one season. He earned his paycheck and then pushed on. I didn't like him slamming the team, the city, his teammates, and continuing to do so LONG after he was gone, but...hey - he won when he left and backed his huge mouth up.

Dwight...not so much. Hill was at least better than Dwight, but even there, Dwight at least carried the team in some equivalence of his paycheck. Hill never did. And when he had the opportunity to help the team that had given him $93 million dollars to spend most of it with his doctors far, far away from Orlando, and never going on IR, costing the team even more, he hopped off to another team.

Do you at least understand why Hill might not have a shrine taking up a quarter of my house?

I called him obtuse for reaching the conclusion that Magic fans had no right to boo Grant Hill. Not understanding why people, specifically Magic fans, would boo Grant Hill is...obtuse.

I stand by that.

If you're a Grant Hill fan and love the guy and think he carried the Magic team from the bench or whatever, fine: I see things differently. If you don't think I have a right to that opinion, especially on a board dedicated to fans of a team he shafted? That's dumb, or stupid, or obtuse: take your pick.

Grant ate up tons of cap space, his one All Star appearance was a van vote artifact more than any stats he put up that year. With Grant, it's more the juxtaposition between this "OMG HE'S SUCH A SUPER AWESOME GUY AND IS THE GOODEREST PERSON IN THE UNIVERSSSSSEEEEEE!!!!"-crap compared with his: "thanks for the $93 million check for me to rehab my ankle! Suck it, Orlando!"

Shaq played out his contract. PLAYED out his contract. He actually stepped on the court for more than one season. He earned his paycheck and then pushed on. I didn't like him slamming the team, the city, his teammates, and continuing to do so LONG after he was gone, but...hey - he won when he left and backed his huge mouth up.

Dwight...not so much. Hill was at least better than Dwight, but even there, Dwight at least carried the team in some equivalence of his paycheck. Hill never did. And when he had the opportunity to help the team that had given him $93 million dollars to spend most of it with his doctors far, far away from Orlando, and never going on IR, costing the team even more, he hopped off to another team.

Do you at least understand why Hill might not have a shrine taking up a quarter of my house?

First, we all need to get off this idea that if someone disagrees with your opinion that means they think you don't have a right to hold that opinion. That's a ridiculous idea, and one that hasn't been promoted in this thread. Continuing to bring it up isn't contributing anything. You have the right to boo and you have the right to hold whatever opinion you want about anyone. This shouldn't be something that we need to discuss.

Second, you're making strawmen all over the place here. It's possible to think Hill doesn't deserve boos while also not worshiping him. If you want to continue characterizing the other side that way, that's fine, but you might as well just say that your argument doesn't stand on its own and needs to be buttressed by making a ridiculous caricature of the other side that makes it look better by comparison. Because that's exactly what posts like that communicate.

But yeah, call the guy whatever you want and stand by it. Similarly to your strawmen, it just makes your argument look weaker. There may be legitimate arguments for why people should boo Grant Hill, but they're not coming from the guy who's exaggerating everything and name calling people who disagree.

To answer your question, yes, I do understand why you feel the way you do. I just disagree with it. That's all. I don't think you're an idiot, I don't think you shouldn't be allowed to boo, I just disagree with your assessment of the situation.

As I said when Marc and I were discussing this earlier, if it turns out that the sign and trade situation went down the way he said it did, then I'll be more sympathetic to your position. But I don't know how that actually went down and I don't think anyone here does either. All the other reasons given I find to be either petty or insufficient to warrant booing.

Holy hyperbole Batman.

First, we all need to get off this idea that if someone disagrees with your opinion that means they think you don't have a right to hold that opinion. That's a ridiculous idea, and one that hasn't been promoted in this thread. Continuing to bring it up isn't contributing anything. You have the right to boo and you have the right to hold whatever opinion you want about anyone. This shouldn't be something that we need to discuss.

Second, you're making strawmen all over the place here. It's possible to think Hill doesn't deserve boos while also not worshiping him. If you want to continue characterizing the other side that way, that's fine, but you might as well just say that your argument doesn't stand on its own and needs to be buttressed by making a ridiculous caricature of the other side that makes it look better by comparison. Because that's exactly what posts like that communicate.

But yeah, call the guy whatever you want and stand by it. Similarly to your strawmen, it just makes your argument look weaker. There may be legitimate arguments for why people should boo Grant Hill, but they're not coming from the guy who's exaggerating everything and name calling people who disagree.

To answer your question, yes, I do understand why you feel the way you do. I just disagree with it. That's all. I don't think you're an idiot, I don't think you shouldn't be allowed to boo, I just disagree with your assessment of the situation.

As I said when Marc and I were discussing this earlier, if it turns out that the sign and trade situation went down the way he said it did, then I'll be more sympathetic to your position. But I don't know how that actually went down and I don't think anyone here does either. All the other reasons given I find to be either petty or insufficient to warrant booing.

You pretty much said everything I was going to say, so no point in rehashing.

Then go post it on the Grant Hill Fanpage.

And...actually you know something? this isn't worth my time. Enjoy your Grant Hill fixation, continue to wonder why anyone would boo the guy, and go Magic.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I fail to see how he is wrong considering he is giving his opinion, something you claim everyone is allowed to give. But since this thread is devolving to the point that moderators are giving negative reps, I'm locking this one up.