Sign in to follow this  
Franchise408

Denton: Now Retired, Hill Didn't Deserve Criticism While With Magic

Okay, I'm up to 99% positive that Franchise408 is Grant Hill: no one could possibly be this obtuse.

Count me in the obtuse area because I agree with every single thing the guy has said. I don't understand how Hill can be so universally reviled among Magic fans and put in the same area as Shaq and Dwight in the hatred leveled at him.

Oh and as for the whole "He contributed nothing to the franchise over 7 years" thing? That's slightly false. He did cost the Magic several years of bad cap space, but I'm really surprised most Magic fan's keep forgetting he had an all-star season in 04-05, and then followed up as a solid starter in helping Orlando get back to the playoffs for the first time in 6 years. He also was very active in charity events throughout Orlando and dedicated a lot of his time to the city. So again, the idea that he "contributed nothing" is false, and bugs me.

Count me in the obtuse area because I agree with every single thing the guy has said. I don't understand how Hill can be so universally reviled among Magic fans and put in the same area as Shaq and Dwight in the hatred leveled at him.

Oh and as for the whole "He contributed nothing to the franchise over 7 years" thing? That's slightly false. He did cost the Magic several years of bad cap space, but I'm really surprised most Magic fan's keep forgetting he had an all-star season in 04-05, and then followed up as a solid starter in helping Orlando get back to the playoffs for the first time in 6 years. He also was very active in charity events throughout Orlando and dedicated a lot of his time to the city. So again, the idea that he "contributed nothing" is false, and bugs me.

You reached a different conclusion than the majority of the board, therefore you're obtuse. That logic checks out.

Also, I'm smarter than you because I called you obtuse instead of an idiot or something like that.

Not sure anyone said he was as bad as Shaq or Dwight. Those two guys will always be A and B in the "players deserving of scorn." Hill is way, way below them. Again, my issue is mainly with the idea that anyone would be embarrassed if Hill is booed. So what!?

Also, the "all-star" season? Big deal. He was coasting off of his Detroit laurels at that point. In fact, I remember it being a minor controversy that he was selected at all.

As for the active in the community angle. I agree with you there. He was one of the best we've had. Having said that, many of our 2nd round picks that only spend a single season with us and make far less than a million dollars are also very active in the community and participate in charity events while their with our franchise.

You reached a different conclusion than the majority of the board, therefore you're obtuse. That logic checks out.

Also, I'm smarter than you because I called you obtuse instead of an idiot or something like that.

Is this board not still intended to be a forum for discussion among people with differing opinions?

Of course, most of us come with our opinion vs. being an "all-time QB" and siding where he likes at a given time.

Not sure anyone said he was as bad as Shaq or Dwight. Those two guys will always be A and B in the "players deserving of scorn." Hill is way, way below them. Again, my issue is mainly with the idea that anyone would be embarrassed if Hill is booed. So what!?

Also, the "all-star" season? Big deal. He was coasting off of his Detroit laurels at that point. In fact, I remember it being a minor controversy that he was selected at all.

As for the active in the community angle. I agree with you there. He was one of the best we've had. Having said that, many of our 2nd round picks that only spend a single season with us and make far less than a million dollars are also very active in the community and participate in charity events while their with our franchise.

Whenever I saw him play against Orlando I saw some people react with just as much scorn as they ever did for T-Mac and Shaq (Dwight hadn't left yet). I wouldn't say I was embarrassed (wrong term to use) but more dissapointed in my Magic brethren, as I felt we are a far better fan base then that. But it of course is every fan's right to boo who they want, when they want. I just don't find it very classy.

I remember the minor controversy too. I found that silly, he was most definitely deserving. Dude averaged 19 points on over 50% shooting after being essentially gone for 5 years and his ankle now a tribute to the Star Wars line: "More machine now then man." And again, he also played a large role in helping young guys like Dwight and Jameer get this team back to the playoffs for the first time in 6 years. He averaged 14 points and played over 75% of the season. So I still feel like he contributed in a positive way to this franchise.

Well yes of course, but you can make that argument for any person who contributes to charity. It doesn't lessen that contribution however.

Is this board not still intended to be a forum for discussion among people with differing opinions?

Of course, most of us come with our opinion vs. being an "all-time QB" and siding where he likes at a given time.

Yes. What I'm making fun of is 30 assists calling the other guy obtuse for reaching a different conclusion. Marc and I disagreed on the interpretation of events earlier in this thread and we discussed differing opinions without insulting each other.

As for your second paragraph, I get that you're criticizing me, but I'm not sure what you mean by that. I don't know what being an all time QB means in this context. Please explain.

Yes. What I'm making fun of is 30 assists calling the other guy obtuse for reaching a different conclusion. Marc and I disagreed on the interpretation of events earlier in this thread and we discussed differing opinions without insulting each other.

As for your second paragraph, I get that you're criticizing me, but I'm not sure what you mean by that. I don't know what being an all time QB means in this context. Please explain.

It was a not perfectly used metaphor for coming in and picking a side simply for the sake of the argument vs. really having an opinion.

It was a not perfectly used metaphor for coming in and picking a side simply for the sake of the argument vs. really having an opinion.

In the words of Geddy Lee, "if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

My Grant Hill opinion being neutral does not disqualify it from being an opinion. There are more than two sides to any issue.

To put it another way, I take the "not guilty" position on Grant Hill as opposed to either guilty or innocent.

So I reject the guilty position on the grounds that the things being said in support of it are not sufficiently supported by facts, but I'm not taking the innocent position either because the possibility exists that those facts, if known, could actually support the guilty position.

Not guilty is still a valid opinion though.