Sign in to follow this  
Franchise408

Denton: Now Retired, Hill Didn't Deserve Criticism While With Magic

This too.

I still think the notion that Grant "owed" us to stay with the Magic is quite ridiculous.

And people make a lot of assumptions about how Phoenix would have made a sign & trade deal, but would they really? An older vet with a bad history of injuries? And you think another team would wanna be giving up something to acquire that?

I somehow doubt the demand for Grant Hill would have been high enough that would could have insisted on a sign & trade.

Do you "owe" him enough loyalty to feel "ashamed" when your fellow Magic fans booed him?

Do you "owe" him enough loyalty to feel "ashamed" when your fellow Magic fans booed him?

I don't owe Grant anything, just like he doesn't owe me anything. But it embarrasses me to be a Magic fan when we boo Grant Hill and that is the image that I become associated with. Booing him because of some imaginary "debt" that he didn't owe us in the first place.

I hate Grant's ankle just as much as the next Magic fan, but I'll respect a guy who does everything he can to get back on the court, in a league where players are faking injuries to get off the court. I'll respect a guy who does everything he can for the team, even if it's not much, when that same team's beloved "superstar" is trashing the team and organization, his team mates, and admitting to quitting on his team and not putting forth the effort, and continuing to whine and cry when that same organization gives in to his demands and gives him everything he wants, trading him to the team he wants to go to to play with the center he wanted to play with.

This thread isn't about T-Mac, but as far as I'm concerned, McGrady is on the same list right alongside Shaq and Dwight of superstars who aren't deserving of my respect.

But in regards to Hill, I put Grant Hill on the same list right alongside Darrell Armstrong, Nick Anderson, Dennis Scott, and plenty of other guys, who earned my respect for their time put into this organization.

• Upvote 1

I don't owe Grant anything, just like he doesn't owe me anything. But it embarrasses me to be a Magic fan when we boo Grant Hill and that is the image that I become associated with. Booing him because of some imaginary "debt" that he didn't owe us in the first place.

I hate Grant's ankle just as much as the next Magic fan, but I'll respect a guy who does everything he can to get back on the court, in a league where players are faking injuries to get off the court. I'll respect a guy who does everything he can for the team, even if it's not much, when that same team's beloved "superstar" is trashing the team and organization, his team mates, and admitting to quitting on his team and not putting forth the effort, and continuing to whine and cry when that same organization gives in to his demands and gives him everything he wants, trading him to the team he wants to go to to play with the center he wanted to play with.

This thread isn't about T-Mac, but as far as I'm concerned, McGrady is on the same list right alongside Shaq and Dwight of superstars who aren't deserving of my respect.

But in regards to Hill, I put Grant Hill on the same list right alongside Darrell Armstrong, Nick Anderson, Dennis Scott, and plenty of other guys, who earned my respect for their time put into this organization.

So Hill earned your respect by sitting on the bench the whole time in a suit because he was injured? I think some Magic fans are upset that Hill cost the team $93 million and really restricted the team from bringing in other talent. Now I do not believe that Hill "owed" the Magic anything after his contract was up, so I am not upset about that.

Wow, that's pretty esteemed company for a guy who pretty much contributed nothing to the franchise over 7 years. I think the correct response to Grant Hill is essentially indifference. I personally don't even acknowledge him as a former player in as much as he rarely played, could not be depended on, and didn't contribute anything positive (granted through no fault of his own) to the franchise.

I guess my main issue is with the extremism of the statement that you are embarrassed by your fellow Magic fans. You are basically taking exception with the vast majority of fans that have been following this team since 1989 or from whatever point since then. To say that fans booing Hill makes you embarrassed as a fan is disconcerting. Magic fans throwing objects at players, using inappropriate language, making hurtful comments, destroying property, etc., are reasons to be embarrassed to be a fan of the team. But even then, to be embarrassed to be a Magic fan is still extreme. Maybe I'm over analyzing your words, but it seems to me that it would be more appropriate to be "embarrassed by the behavior of some of your fellow fans." But it shouldn't make you embarrassed to be a fan of the team. Sorry for the nitpicking, and again, just giving my opinion.

I guess my main issue is with the extremism of the statement that you are embarrassed by your fellow Magic fans. You are basically taking exception with the vast majority of fans that have been following this team since 1989 or from whatever point since then. To say that fans booing Hill makes you embarrassed as a fan is disconcerting. Magic fans throwing objects at players, using inappropriate language, making hurtful comments, destroying property, etc., are reasons to be embarrassed to be a fan of the team. But even then, to be embarrassed to be a Magic fan is still extreme. Maybe I'm over analyzing your words, but it seems to me that it would be more appropriate to be "embarrassed by the behavior of some of your fellow fans." But it shouldn't make you embarrassed to be a fan of the team. Sorry for the nitpicking, and again, just giving my opinion.

Whenever I go to a game and people around me are using inappropriate language, I am embarrassed to be a fan of the team. I understand people like to heckle the opposing players and they might get really excited when cool things happen for our team, but when they use naughty words while doing those things, that's where I draw the line.

Whenever I go to a game and people around me are using inappropriate language, I am embarrassed to be a fan of the team. I understand people like to heckle the opposing players and they might get really excited when cool things happen for our team, but when they use naughty words while doing those things, that's where I draw the line.

Good for you!

So Hill earned your respect by sitting on the bench the whole time in a suit because he was injured? I think some Magic fans are upset that Hill cost the team $93 million and really restricted the team from bringing in other talent. Now I do not believe that Hill "owed" the Magic anything after his contract was up, so I am not upset about that.

And that was Hill's fault how? It's not like he was going out, purposefully snapping his ankle in half to not play.

He earned my respect for the work he put in to get put back on the court. His tries may have been ultimately unsuccessful, but I'll respect a guy who gives his all to the team, even if it doesn't work out. Hill is one of those guys, and why I list him with Anderson, Armstrong, and Scott, and guys like him. Yea, Anderson, Armstrong, Scott, etc. were infinitely more successful in what they achieved while in a Magic uniform, but I respect Hill for his dedication and perseverance.

It's the reason why I don't care what T-Mac accomplished in a Magic uniform, I don't respect him.

I think you are definitely over analyzing here.

It's not like I sit around all day everyday thinking "Geez, I'm so embarrassed to be a Magic fan cuz we booed Hill that one time", but it was embarrassing for me that Hill was booed by the Magic fanbase.

I'm embarrassed to be a fan of all of my teams at some point or another. I was embarrassed to be a San Francisco Giants fan when during the Barry Bonds days the fans would rather see a Barry Bonds homerun than a team win (a direct quote from one of the Bay Area radio guys: "I would rather see the Giants lose in a game where Barry Bonds hits a home run, than to see the Giants win and he doesn't hit a home run"). I was embarrassed to be a San Francisco 49ers fan when Candlestick Park, on national television, began chanting "We Want Carr!"

Quite frankly, sports fans can be huge morons sometimes. And I'm pretty sure I've been one at times too.

• Upvote 1