Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Article: Marion or Haslem?

Want to shore up the "4?" This article suggests that both players are available: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=7323. I honestly believe acquiring either would give us a championship-caliber team. Will Riley deal with us? We have the pieces to make it happen ... expirings, picks, and a young talent (JJ). Go Magic!

Want to shore up the "4?" This article suggests that both players are available: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=7323. I honestly believe acquiring either would give us a championship-caliber team. Will Riley deal with us? We have the pieces to make it happen ... expirings, picks, and a young talent (JJ). Go Magic!

Well it makes sense if the heat deal Marion mainly because the trade of Shaq for Marion and Banks really didnt give them any cap relief, and realistically, im sure Marion probably doesnt want to stay with this team. Riley will probably step down at the end of the year and this team is in serious rebuilding mode.

Interesting article and Id love Marion here, I think hes more skilled than AK and Haslem.

Interesting article...but then again its hoopsworld.

I doubt the heat give up shaq to get Marion and then straight up trade him without seeing what he could do for them first. I think the main reason Miami did this trade was because if it didn't work out for miami this year, then Marion could become a free agent this summer and all that money would come off of their books anyway.

I highly doubt they trade marion, I think they would be more apt to trade Haslem before Marion goes. We'll have to wait and see how the cookie continues to crumble!

Nick - If they keep Marion, only to let him go at the end of the season, then it hurts them.

Natmayo - Their 'rebuilding mode' is not to 'serious'.

The Heat can clear enough cap space to sign two max contract players this summer. This would require letting Marion go, and possibly moving Blount and/or Haslem.

Couple this with their top draft pick from this season and their 'rebuilding mode' is only one season long (this season). Next year they could have three legit All-Stars and a top draft prospect.

So... if the Heat are planning on this move, why keep Marion now? He will only help them win games, and the more games they win, the worse off they are in the draft.

I think they were seriously considering buying Shaq out after this season, until the Suns came a callin'. Now they have marion instead of Shaq, and Marion will generate more interest in trade talks than a broken, beat down Shaq in his twilight years.

Move Marion, continue to tank the season, make big bold moves over the summer and come out swinging a'la Boston this season. I think THAT is the Heats plan.

I'll also add this nugget: Hoopsworld was way ahead of the curve in publishing the Shaq to Suns rumor. Trust me, I have loathed Hoopsworld in the past. Yet after that grand slam of reporting, I'm now reading their stuff.

I know Otis has targeted Haslem but now that Shawn is available, too, things might change. We'll see. I'd be pleased with either.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

Nick - If they keep Marion, only to let him go at the end of the season, then it hurts them.

The Heat can clear enough cap space to sign two max contract players this summer. This would require letting Marion go, and possibly moving Blount and/or Haslem.

Couple this with their top draft pick from this season and their 'rebuilding mode' is only one season long (this season). Next year they could have three legit All-Stars and a top draft prospect.

So... if the Heat are planning on this move, why keep Marion now? He will only help them win games, and the more games they win, the worse off they are in the draft.

I think they were seriously considering buying Shaq out after this season, until the Suns came a callin'. Now they have marion instead of Shaq, and Marion will generate more interest in trade talks than a broken, beat down Shaq in his twilight years.

Move Marion, continue to tank the season, make big bold moves over the summer and come out swinging a'la Boston this season. I think THAT is the Heats plan.

My post agreed with what your saying somewhat. It would make sense to trade Marion because they really didnt get any cap relief with this trade. I do think its gonna be tough to get free agents to play there for the simple reason that the allure of playing for Pat Riley is probably gone as hes prob not gonna be the coach of this team after this year. I do think that playing with DWade will help in that, but they have a lot of pieces that would have to go as well. Blount is still making alot of money and they would prob have to get rid of him, and core wise they dont have a lof of real talent on that team besides Wade. So I think even if they get a big name free agent, and a top pick, they are 2 years away from getting back into the race.

quote:

With all do respect homie, how do you figure? 16.4 Mil coming off the books this summer is a lot of added cap space to go after a big free agent this summer? If they do a trade now, they're going to be getting some sort of salary back which takes away from that 16.4 mil they could have freed. Unless I'm missing something here, I don't see how either he ends up being a good fit for your team, or you take almost 17 mil off your books in the offseason hurts the heat.

quote:

The only way the heat would be hurt by keeping Marion is that more than likely they would no longer be able to tank the season, as you have correctly pointed out. But...at the same time, it's Marion...you can't just trade him for a bag of rocks and a kit kat bar.

Getting rid of Shaq for Marion was one of the biggest heists I've ever seen. To get rid of Marion, I'm sure Riley would want expirings, young stud(s), and picks.

Read below. Marion doesn't sound like a player that will be traded again this season.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-...eb08,0,6345867.story

Heat coach Pat Riley plans to quicken the pace. He figures newly acquired Shawn Marion won't give him any other option.

"Right now," Riley said, "when you take a look at our team, we have become younger, we have become more flexible."

"He's going to have to adjust a little bit to us and we'll have to adjust to him," Riley said. "But I'm sure we'll find a common ground for the rest of the year."

Riley acknowledged the challenge of rebuilding again is somewhat daunting.

"It's scary," he said, "because sometimes it doesn't work.

"I've been through this before. I know what my job is. It changes year to year, and decade to decade. But now we know what direction we're going to go, so that gives me some peace."