Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

Armstrong Plans to Return...

I'm not sure if this should here since he's a fan favorite or around the NBA forum.

However, I found this article that talks about Armstrong playing one more year. There's no mention of him and Orlando, but Otis has to get this guy back. He's a stand up guy, all heart, and can teach our young guys a thing or two about passing and defense. He would be an IDEAL backup, either 2nd or 3rd, and a good player/coach type.

quote:
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Darrell Armstrong will hold off trading in his sneakers for a suit and tie for at least one more season.

After saying a number of times he was leaning toward putting off retirement, the veteran Indiana Pacers guard made it official Friday that he'll return for another season, his 14th.

"The best thing about this year is I'm playing 12-to-15 minutes a night and my body feels good," Armstrong said. "That's the biggest thing. I still have my energy. I always told myself if I can't pick up full court and defend guys the way I've always done, it's time for me to leave the game."

Armstrong, the Pacers' most energetic player, went into Friday's game at Orlando, where he spent his first nine seasons, averaging 5.3 points and 2.2 assists in 15 minutes a game.

"Guys like Darrell come along once or twice a decade," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "We've been fortunate to have two guys in our franchise, him and Reggie Miller, that have played at a high level well into their late 30s. I have no doubt Darrell will be great for at least another year, maybe even longer."

Armstrong, the league's third-oldest player, thought he would play just one season of the three-year contract he got in the Pacers' sign-and-trade deal with Dallas last summer. The final two years of Armstrong's contract are non-guaranteed. He didn't rule out playing two more years, which would make him 40 when he retires.

"Twelve to 15 minutes and if I can be effective like I am now, yeah," Armstrong said. "I don't want to be dragging it on and not doing anything on the floor, just taking a roster spot. You can give that to somebody else."

Armstrong told New Jersey's Clifford Robinson, the second oldest player in the league, earlier this week that he doesn't plan to retire until Robinson decides to hang it up.

"He may be in this for a while," Carlisle said, laughing. "Cliff is planning to play four or five more years."

I'm not sure if this should here since he's a fan favorite or around the NBA forum.

However, I found this article that talks about Armstrong playing one more year. There's no mention of him and Orlando, but Otis has to get this guy back. He's a stand up guy, all heart, and can teach our young guys a thing or two about passing and defense. He would be an IDEAL backup, either 2nd or 3rd, and a good player/coach type.

quote:
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Darrell Armstrong will hold off trading in his sneakers for a suit and tie for at least one more season.

After saying a number of times he was leaning toward putting off retirement, the veteran Indiana Pacers guard made it official Friday that he'll return for another season, his 14th.

"The best thing about this year is I'm playing 12-to-15 minutes a night and my body feels good," Armstrong said. "That's the biggest thing. I still have my energy. I always told myself if I can't pick up full court and defend guys the way I've always done, it's time for me to leave the game."

Armstrong, the Pacers' most energetic player, went into Friday's game at Orlando, where he spent his first nine seasons, averaging 5.3 points and 2.2 assists in 15 minutes a game.

"Guys like Darrell come along once or twice a decade," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "We've been fortunate to have two guys in our franchise, him and Reggie Miller, that have played at a high level well into their late 30s. I have no doubt Darrell will be great for at least another year, maybe even longer."

Armstrong, the league's third-oldest player, thought he would play just one season of the three-year contract he got in the Pacers' sign-and-trade deal with Dallas last summer. The final two years of Armstrong's contract are non-guaranteed. He didn't rule out playing two more years, which would make him 40 when he retires.

"Twelve to 15 minutes and if I can be effective like I am now, yeah," Armstrong said. "I don't want to be dragging it on and not doing anything on the floor, just taking a roster spot. You can give that to somebody else."

Armstrong told New Jersey's Clifford Robinson, the second oldest player in the league, earlier this week that he doesn't plan to retire until Robinson decides to hang it up.

"He may be in this for a while," Carlisle said, laughing. "Cliff is planning to play four or five more years."

Its either Travis Diener or Armstrong? Travis is the only point guard I see leaving.

I think this would be a good idea if we want our young guys to learn a lot, but can we be sure that he'll be able to play like he is now for another season?

Whenever I think of Darrel Armstrong I can't help but think of his layup in the 1996 dunk contest lol.