Sign in to follow this  
Jagsfreak27

Magic Going All In For Chris Paul's Backup?

Clippers fan here.

Wow, this whole rumor got way out of control.

First, it was NEVER being reported in full. It was never Bledsoe + Butler for Afflalo. Instead, it was always one of two possibilities: Bledsoe + Butler (that part was correct) for Afflalo and either Nicholson, or a protected 2015 first-round pick. It was never, not even for a moment, a discussion of Bledsoe and Butler for Afflalo and nothing else. See for example:

http://www.hoopsworl...dy9QXeAwblHX.99

Second, Clippers decided against the deal, and will be hanging onto Bledsoe to see if they can get a better offer, or else just play him as starting SG and/or heavy backup minutes between PG and SG. See for example:

http://www.orlandopi...e-arron-afflalo

So, I hope we can put this "Bledsoe & Butler for Afflalo" rumor to rest. Butler and Afflalo are pretty close to being a push alone (Afflalo is a tad better but Butler is an expiring and both are pretty average players), and it would have meant you'd be getting Bledsoe for free. That's not going to happen, as Bledsoe is highly valued around the league and Clippers have received a ton of interest in him.

Bledsoe+Butler for Afflalo is fair. We have all the leverage here, the clippers need exactly arron afflalo to complement chris paul. Afflalo is 27 years old, and signed through his prime years. Although we will eventually need a PG, we can sit on our hands until one falls to us. You guys OTOH are in win now mode.

I don't think Bledsoe is as highly sought after as you think. If that were the case I think he'd have been traded by now. Also, Afflalo and Butler are on clearly opposite career paths. Butler is 33 and going down fast production and injury-wise, while Afflalo is young and ready to contribute as a 3rd/4th option on a championship team.

Clippers fan here.

First, it was NEVER being reported in full. It was never Bledsoe + Butler for Afflalo. Instead, it was always one of two possibilities: Bledsoe + Butler (that part was correct) for Afflalo and either Nicholson, or a protected 2015 first-round pick. It was never, not even for a moment, a discussion of Bledsoe and Butler for Afflalo and nothing else. See for example:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-let-the-trade-rumors-begin#jT9Fdy9QXeAwblHX.99

Second, Clippers decided against the deal, and will be hanging onto Bledsoe to see if they can get a better offer, or else just play him as starting SG and/or heavy backup minutes between PG and SG. See for example:

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2013/6/19/4446884/nba-trade-rumors-orlando-magic-los-angeles-clippers-eric-bledsoe-arron-afflalo

So, I hope we can put this "Bledsoe & Butler for Afflalo" rumor to rest. Butler and Afflalo are pretty close to being a push alone (Afflalo is a tad better but Butler is an expiring and both are pretty average players), and it would have meant you'd be getting Bledsoe for free. That's not going to happen, as Bledsoe is highly valued around the league and Clippers have received a ton of interest in him.

butler is not close to affalalo. There is a 5 year difference in age. Butler hasn't been good in a while. His biggest asset is his contract.

Now, let us back up. Bledsoe is exciting but he is not yet a pg. He has a long ways to go. He is not the best passer and he is not the best dribbler. There is not much to go on for bledsoe and how he will project as a starter. He is real close to a bigger Nate Robertson - that can play some defense.

I am ok with bledsoe & Butler for Afflalo & ONE of a late 1st/Nicholson/Jones with a 2nd. I really dont want to give up Nicholson but bledsoe does have some promise. If the clips ask for more, I am drafting Victor/burke and trading dallas or the wolves for there pick to get MCW or Dennis/CJ. There also some promising PG next year and we have two picks.

I would think there would be a chance we trade dallas that 2015 future 1st for there pick this year and we use AA to move up and get both burke and Victor.

Bledseo is good but at a reasonable cost. BTW, Burke is already a better pg than Bledseo. He is just not the athlete or defender that bledseo is now.

Clippers fan here.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-let-the-trade-rumors-begin#jT9Fdy9QXeAwblHX.99

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2013/6/19/4446884/nba-trade-rumors-orlando-magic-los-angeles-clippers-eric-bledsoe-arron-afflalo

I'm 99.9% sure you don't know ****. Thanks for stopping by and sharing the same **** we've been speculating on for about a month now. The exact trade parameters you mentioned (Nicholson or a protected 1st potentially being part of the deal), and seem to be under the impression is some sort of breaking news, has been discussed on this forum for days. Of course the Clips want a better deal, they'd be stupid not to...doesn't mean they're getting it.

butler is not close to affalalo. There is a 5 year difference in age. Butler hasn't been good in a while. His biggest asset is his contract.

Now, let us back up. Bledsoe is exciting but he is not yet a pg. He has a long ways to go. He is not the best passer and he is not the best dribbler. There is not much to go on for bledsoe and how he will project as a starter. He is real close to a bigger Nate Robertson - that can play some defense.

^

THIS

What are the Two of the biggest skills or characteristics you look for in your PG?

Ball-handling/ Dribbling(under pressure)?

Passing?

or maybe

Leadership?

being an extension of the coach?

I don't believe, after three NBA seasons, that you can say any of those are strengths when talking about Bledsoe.

He's still a project, which means his ceiling is probably a lot lower than people think.

Is he a great athlete? yes.

Will he be anything other than a starting PG for a bad team/ Backup for a good one? Probably not.

We can get a backup PG in this draft or the next, and keep a valuable trade asset (AA) to get a better haul. I don't think we need to give up any draft picks, or Nicholson for a guy who probably isn't a starting PG.

Clippers fan here to give some clarity on Bledsoe because I can tell you guys are split on this. I'll give some pros, cons and numbers.

Pros

Elite defender: When I say elite I mean best defensive PG in the NBA last year. He surpassed Bradley, Paul and Rondo in that regard. Extremely difficult to score on 1 on 1, even for players bigger than him due to his great wingspan for his height (6'1 tall but 6'8 wingspan). He's the NBA's best shot blocking guard, 2nd best in steals rates of any player in the NBA.

Elite rebounder: Eric Bledsoe's offensive rebound rate led all NBA guards and his defensive rebound rate is fantastic for his size as well. As a starter for 12 games when CP3 went down he averaged 6 rebounds a game.

Upside: His athleticism is on par with Rose and Westbrook at the PG spot so the tools will always be there. More important though is if you look at his progression he's improved really well in every which way since he's been in the league. Shooting, defense, playmaking, turnover rate, efficiency all up. Prior to his hip injury the last two months of the season his stats were insane. In fact his PER 36 number combinations haven't been matched since young Michael Jordan. Think about that for a second.

Cons

Shooting: His shooting has improved across the board to where he's at which was at 45/39/83 a very good set of shooting numbers. That being said he's a very streaky shooter who's awful in the midrange game. He's a respectable spot up shooter now but pretty much has zero ability to create shots for himself. He either slashes to the rim or catches and shoots.

Turnovers: Although his turnover rates continue to improve a lot, he's still very reckless and prone to turnovers at times. Much like Westbrook he inexplicably drives into 2-3 defenders in the paint getting stripped or losing it out of bounds.

I hope this info helps and all I will say is trust me Bledsoe has huge upside and is an incredible fit for the Magic. You guys will LOVE his game. His motor and heart are amazing and he NEVER gives up on plays. He's constantly making huge momentum changing and game busting plays that blow your mind such as chasedown blocks, tip dunks over centers. Things that swing momentum quickly. You guys probably remember his 27 point, 6 rebound, 6 steal, 3 block, 3 assist game vs the Magic?

• Upvote 3

Clippers fan here to give some clarity on Bledsoe because I can tell you guys are split on this. I'll give some pros, cons and numbers.

Pros

Elite defender: When I say elite I mean best defensive PG in the NBA last year. He surpassed Bradley, Paul and Rondo in that regard. Extremely difficult to score on 1 on 1, even for players bigger than him due to his great wingspan for his height (6'1 tall but 6'8 wingspan). He's the NBA's best shot blocking guard, 2nd best in steals rates of any player in the NBA.

Elite rebounder: Eric Bledsoe's offensive rebound rate led all NBA guards and his defensive rebound rate is fantastic for his size as well. As a starter for 12 games when CP3 went down he averaged 6 rebounds a game.

Upside: His athleticism is on par with Rose and Westbrook at the PG spot so the tools will always be there. More important though is if you look at his progression he's improved really well in every which way since he's been in the league. Shooting, defense, playmaking, turnover rate, efficiency all up. Prior to his hip injury the last two months of the season his stats were insane. In fact his PER 36 number combinations haven't been matched since young Michael Jordan. Think about that for a second.

Cons

Shooting: His shooting has improved across the board to where he's at which was at 45/39/83 a very good set of shooting numbers. That being said he's a very streaky shooter who's awful in the midrange game. He's a respectable spot up shooter now but pretty much has zero ability to create shots for himself. He either slashes to the rim or catches and shoots.

Turnovers: Although his turnover rates continue to improve a lot, he's still very reckless and prone to turnovers at times. Much like Westbrook he inexplicably drives into 2-3 defenders in the paint getting stripped or losing it out of bounds.

I hope this info helps and all I will say is trust me Bledsoe has huge upside and is an incredible fit for the Magic. You guys will LOVE his game. His motor and heart are amazing and he NEVER gives up on plays. He's constantly making huge momentum changing and game busting plays that blow your mind such as chasedown blocks, tip dunks over centers. Things that swing momentum quickly. You guys probably remember his 27 point, 6 rebound, 6 steal, 3 block, 3 assist game vs the Magic?

Thanks for sharing this...very insightful (no sarcasm). I don't think anyone is under the impression that Bledsoe is going to come in and be an All-Star or anything ridiculous. He does have lots of work to do, but the beauty is on this team he will get the opportunity and there's plenty of time to learn because we're still 2-3 years away from anything resembling contention.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for sharing this...very insightful (no sarcasm). I don't think anyone is under the impression that Bledsoe is going to come in and be an All-Star or anything ridiculous. He does have lots of work to do, but the beauty is on this team he will get the opportunity and there's plenty of time to learn because we're still 2-3 years away from anything resembling contention.

Yup. Ideally you guys want to be subpar one more year to get a top 5 pick in next year's loaded draft. Bledsoe needs time to develop and as you said you guys can afford it. Long term many analysts feel he has top 10-15 PG in the league potential which.. when you consider how strong the PG crop is, that's very good. People constantly throw out "well he's unproven" but probably didn't watch his magnificent defense and 22 PER playoff run last year how he completely changed the Memphis series. Nor do they know that he AVERAGED 14.5 ppg, 6 rpg, 5 apg, 2.5 spg, 1.5 bpg in the 12 games CP3 was out. That's well above average starting PG numbers and what's more is they came in our toughest stretch and longest road trip of the season. Those are Kyle Lowry type numbers with more defense.

Yes the Clippers absolutely could use Afflalo and as a 3rd option for us instead of a 1st for you guys he will thrive but the proposed trade of Bledsoe and Butler for Afflalo and Nicholson seems very fair for both parties and mutually beneficial. We can argue about if an extremely protected future 1st is fair or not but quite honestly I think your team is going to explode in 2-3 years so it won't matter really.

Interesting points being brought up here but it is true.

Nate Jones ‏@JonesOnTheNBA 18m

You have to remember where the current Orlando GM comes from. He was in OKC where they once drafter a raw, freakishly athletic PG

Nate Jones ‏@JonesOnTheNBA 19m

Hennigan probably believes if he gets Bledsoe in Orlando's San Antonio/OKC like program he can turn Bledsoe into a PG like OKC did w/ Russ.

not saying he will turn into westbrook but kind of has the same athletic ability and swagger.

Nate JonesNate Jones ‏@JonesOnTheNBA 19m

The things Bledsoe is good at now cannot be taught. They figure they can teach him how to run a team.

Interesting points being brought up here but it is true.

Nate Jones ‏@JonesOnTheNBA 18m

You have to remember where the current Orlando GM comes from. He was in OKC where they once drafter a raw, freakishly athletic PG

Nate Jones ‏@JonesOnTheNBA 19m

Hennigan probably believes if he gets Bledsoe in Orlando's San Antonio/OKC like program he can turn Bledsoe into a PG like OKC did w/ Russ.

not saying he will turn into westbrook but kind of has the same athletic ability and swagger.

Nate JonesNate Jones ‏@JonesOnTheNBA 19m

The things Bledsoe is good at now cannot be taught. They figure they can teach him how to run a team.

Very true. His natural gifts are off the charts.