Sign in to follow this  
MilitaryMagic

When Nelson returns, what do we do with him?

I like what Legler wrote. If possible, without giving up Hedo, Rashard, or Dwight, I would trade for a taller, proven pg. Here are some that fit the category that might be available in a trade: Andre Miller, Kirk Hinrich, and Jason Kidd. If we had any of these pgs running the show, we would be a much better and more consistent team.

I say we should just pick a starting pg and just stick with him through good and bad times. Since Otis has already picked his guy then SVG should give Nelson his 40mpg like all the other starters get. Stop taking him out early.

Jameer is our best PG when he is "on". Problem is, all too often he is off.

If Jameer brought the same intensity to every game and was at least somewhat consistent, I would support him as our hands down starter in a moment. Fact is though, Jameer doesn't ever seem dedicated to playing defense, and since he has struggled with his shot for two seasons now while not possessing the ability to run an offense if he's not scoring, I just don't like how Jameer fits within our TEAM strategy.

We have played some of the best, fundamentally sound basketball I've seen in years during the last two games. Is it a complete coincidence that Jameer has been out? I don't think so.

I have been extremely pleased with the combination of Arroyo & Dooling at the PG spot because it has resulted in our rotation looking very complete & productive. These tow guys have just led our team to two of their biggest victories of the season. IMO, they deserve to continue filling identical roles even once Jameer is healthy.

No matter who gets the starting nod or the backup nod (and you've heard me saying this for 2 years now), IMO we only need to give 2 of our PGs significant minutes. SVG can't continue to give them each anywhere from 15-30mpg inconsistently. And yes Dooling is a PG no matter what you think about his ball handling skills.

-----------------------------

Jameer is one of those guys that when he is playing his best, the team looks dominant, but when he doesn't bring his A game, he weighs down the entire team because he still is going to attempt 12-15 shots while not playing an ounce of defense. With him, it's either an A game or an F game.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommaco:

START HIM AND DEMAND LEADERSHIP!

meer is going to break out. he needs weight on his shoulders and he will then excel!

How long do we have to wait? How long do you give him?

I will have to agree with Smack again (darn you!!!!lol)

Nelson is on 1 out of every 10 games. When he is on, its great, beautiful basketball. But we can't have him 1 out of 10 games. We need the consistency night in and night out...

He has had the chance to show us what he can do now for what, over 2 years, and we are still hoping and holding on to potential with no results...

I don't think its really based on stats or numbers...

Putting up good numbers doesn't mean he fits the team and makes them better. In the beginning of the season, first 10 games or so, he was being a PG. not scoring much, looking for others and kept the ball moving around, making the offense look to work with a flow, everything seemed to work fine. After that it looked choppy. He was still getting good assist numbers, but the ball stopped moving around...

Arroyo didn't have a great game, if you look at the numbers against detroit. but if you see the game it all was flowing pretty good. Most things were not forced it just worked out.

I think that's the main difference I see between the guys right now...the offense just moves and flows better with the PG right now..

quote:
Originally posted by SauceMoney:

Ok what would be considered a good game from Nelson?

It doesn't matter. He is a horrible PG. I have no idea how we got off to such a good start with such a marginal talent running the show.[/sarcasm]

We will be (and are) better off when the PG position has stability. As Smack as said, pick one... either Carlos or Jameer, give them the bulk of the minutes, and use Dooling as the back up. Bench the other one... or trade him.

Carlos is doing a great job of boosting his value.

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

I don't think its really based on stats or numbers...

Putting up good numbers doesn't mean he fits the team and makes them better. In the beginning of the season, first 10 games or so, he was being a PG. not scoring much, looking for others and kept the ball moving around, making the offense look to work with a flow, everything seemed to work fine. After that it looked choppy. He was still getting good assist numbers, but the ball stopped moving around...

Arroyo didn't have a great game, if you look at the numbers against detroit. but if you see the game it all was flowing pretty good. Most things were not forced it just worked out.

I think that's the main difference I see between the guys right now...the offense just moves and flows better with the PG right now..

Thats because were playing with a different game plan now. When Nelson was playing we used to just settle for 3s all game. Nobody moved around or cut to the basket. Everybody just stayed parked at the perimeter watching Howard. Now their not just settling for the 3s and actually have a good cutter in the lineup now. Nelson has settle for his shot at all this season. I just feel like Nelson play is based on SVG gameplanning. His offensive strategies were terrible. It was to basic and i doubt any pg would have success in that type of offense.