Sign in to follow this  
The Solution

GM says Orlando still a contender

Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer

10:06 PM EST, January 18, 2008

quote:

Known as a straight-shooter brimming with perhaps more confidence than his players, Orlando Magic General Manager Otis Smith was asked if his slumping team is a contender. He answered the question with a question.??"Was Cleveland?" Smith said.??The Cavaliers of the Eastern Conference shockingly rode a 50-32 record and superstar LeBron James into the NBA Finals last season, losing the title series to the San Antonio Spurs in a sweep.

quote:

Smith realizes the Magic have to recapture their mojo in the second half and avoid a repeat of last season's fading finish to be taken seriously. They look to change the script, beginning tonight at Amway Arena against the rising Portland Trail Blazers.

quote:

Last season, under coach Brian Hill, they started 14-6 and stumbled to a 40-42 finish.

??This season, the Magic started 16-4, responding to their new driven coach, Stan Van Gundy, and looking like a sure thing to win the weak Southeast Division. But they are 8-13 in their past 21 games, creating doubt.

Van Gundy applauds the team's effort against a challenging schedule, especially their 16-9 road record, but adds, "Over the last 21 games, it's been a real struggle. We need to get back to playing better basketball. We're probably legitimately somewhere in between those two swings.

for complete article, go to - http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-magic1908jan19,0,1893515.story

Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer

10:06 PM EST, January 18, 2008

quote:

Known as a straight-shooter brimming with perhaps more confidence than his players, Orlando Magic General Manager Otis Smith was asked if his slumping team is a contender. He answered the question with a question.??"Was Cleveland?" Smith said.??The Cavaliers of the Eastern Conference shockingly rode a 50-32 record and superstar LeBron James into the NBA Finals last season, losing the title series to the San Antonio Spurs in a sweep.

quote:

Smith realizes the Magic have to recapture their mojo in the second half and avoid a repeat of last season's fading finish to be taken seriously. They look to change the script, beginning tonight at Amway Arena against the rising Portland Trail Blazers.

quote:

Last season, under coach Brian Hill, they started 14-6 and stumbled to a 40-42 finish.

??This season, the Magic started 16-4, responding to their new driven coach, Stan Van Gundy, and looking like a sure thing to win the weak Southeast Division. But they are 8-13 in their past 21 games, creating doubt.

Van Gundy applauds the team's effort against a challenging schedule, especially their 16-9 road record, but adds, "Over the last 21 games, it's been a real struggle. We need to get back to playing better basketball. We're probably legitimately somewhere in between those two swings.

for complete article, go to - http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-magic1908jan19,0,1893515.story

Here are the key quotes from the article for me:

quote:

Can they be considered a contender?

"I think so. We got a great group. We have to play harder every night," Howard said. "Defense -- that's the biggest thing. I'm always going to say we are trying to win a championship. I'm not going to stop saying it."

Riding the trio of Howard, Lewis and HedoTurkoglu in a loosey-goosey offense that features the 3-point shot, Orlando is the NBA's seventh highest scoring team (103.5) and No. 6 in field goal percentage (46.2).

With so many offensive-minded players, it's really no surprise the defense has suffered, especially after the club lost Tony Battie to an injury before the season. The Magic have dropped to No. 20 in points allowed (100.7) after being in the top 10 early in the season -- and, not coincidentally, can't always hold big leads. Turnovers haunted the team last season, and the Magic have climbed to No. 21 in the league at 15.24 miscues per game. They are also No. 23 in free-throw percentage (72.2).

As I stated in a thread earlier this week, our defense is slipping and needs to be corrected quickly if we are gonna be contenders again.

I also forgot to make note of the fact that we have now slipped to Number 21 in the league in turnovers again. You know, that little problem we had last year?

I agree we need another big,to start,and slide Shard back to his natural spot,and bring turk off the bench(keep him) and I think things will pick back up,no way we finish 40-42. Take a look at my Channing Frye thread what do you think?

Are Otis and Brian Schmitz talking again?

I get the impression Otis wants to make sure the fans understand the organization is satisfied with the players we have and not to expect any trades or player acquisitions until after the playoffs.

That's what it feels like. I don't know about u guys,but I can't take another otis interview,he's gotta be the most clueless person i've ever seen, giving D!2 a B score the ther night was a joke.

I agree with Erik.

Let's get C. Webber to give us another big body.

Let's get better in defense and lower those turnovers. Our PGs really need to be more consistent. I must say, overall, Nelson and Arroyo have improved this year. I only hope they continue to improve the second half of the season.

Here's some quotes from their website on article...

Bill Walton

Sanford, FL

Right now this Magic team is ready to make a run at the NBA Championship. They have to stop listening to the critics and reading all the negativity and just go out there and get it done.

They have to get back to the basic fundamentals of protecting the basketball, guard it with their lives, and not let anyone get anywhere near it. Also there can't be anymore defensive breakdowns. The rotations have to be better and the energy level needs to pick up.

When they have a big lead they need to go out there and go for the jugular and finish teams off. Watching the scoreboard to see if you might be on SportsCenter later, simply put, is not gonna get it done.

This team needs to band together, trust each other, and play like there is no tomorrow. If they can do that then I believe they have a legitimate shot at winning it all.

____________________________________________-

Nanningbob

Comments: 58

Nanning, China

I agree some people are overly negative towards this team but we are not ready for a championship run. We need a rebounding/defensive PF and a strong defensive PG either as a starter or backup before we can start talking championship level. Last year we picked up the needed 'get into the playoffs' experience. Now they need to learn what it takes to win in the playoffs experience. I see them getting out of the first round and into the second. If they get Detroit the second round I believe they will be done. Detroit is simply too good at the guard positions for our guards to handle. If they get anyone else in the second round they have a chance to get to the Conference finals but they need a good PF to do that. Without picking up a good defensive PF they also could get upset in the first round.

"Bill Walton"--"Right now this Magic team is ready to make a run at the NBA Championship. They have to stop listening to the critics and reading all the negativity and just go out there and get it done."

J-otown

Kissimmee, FL

Otis is one of the worst executives in the Nba. His common sense is pretty horrible. I am not going to list all his stupid mistakes as a gm but you guys already know the deal. He is just not competent to perform well in this job and make decisions.

This team is not a championship team but more of a 2nd round nba team. Without defense and our flaw lineup, we won't go very far.

1. We need Power Forward.

2. One of our shooting forwards need to hit the bench.

3. Our guards are back up level at best.

4. No true shooting guard.

Sixx

Winter Springs, FL

"You got to get hot at the right time."

I guess if we don't do well in the playoffs, we just didn't get hot at the right time. ummmmmm...what?

Maybe we could do something to improve the team rather than hoping we get hot at the right time?

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/orlando-sentinel/TVP8578TFH3V0UPTS

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_Magic:

I will believe that when we get a legit PF and start playing Shard at his natural position.

Agree

Of course this team is a contender! We are 3rd in the East!

As for the Cleveland comment: I do believe that the 2007/2008 Orlando Magic are way better than the 2006/2007 Cleveland Cavaliers. But ultimately that means nothing because I'm still wondering today how Cleveland made it to the finals....