Sign in to follow this  
mongoose

Why are we so afraid to blame Dwight Howard for the team's struggles?

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:As an example, I kid you not, I actually saw Dooling chase Rashard Lewis out of the post. At least I think I did, because I couldn't believe my eyes. Is there any excuse for that? Ever!?

Once the Magic figure out where their bread is really buttered on both ends of the court, the family car will roll on smoothly down the road. Until that time, the Orlando Magic are a traffic accident waiting to happen.

Your eyes did not deceive you. Dooling, right-hand dribbling the ball up to his armpit as usual, waved Rashard off with his left hand and proceeded to do his usual iso-jumper. I believe it was 2nd quarter of the Nets game when this occurred.

Wholeheartedly agree with your family car analogy.

Rashard should get the most blame right now; when you get signed to a contract like that, don't play with Ray Allen anymore; it all means a break out year. It seems like Rashard took a step back.

We need 24 PPG from Rashard; he's not going to average 18 ppg on jumpshots only, he needs to slash and post up on guys smaller than him.

Its really hard for us to blame Howard for anything cause hes our biggest contributor. Besides he hasnt grown into being our leader yet so until he does that SVG and Otis will still remain taking the blame. Somebody is gonna have to step up and take that leadership role soon. I guess were still searching for that guy but it probaly will be either Nelson or Howard or even both of them. Lewis i just dont see him getting in the face of anybody, he plays too soft so i doubt if he has it in him to take on a role like that. But i would love to see Howard or Nelson step up and take the blame for the team losing. Or we just might have to trade for a leader. Ive been suggesting Elton Brand for Lewis alot and im sticking with that. When Brand come back he just might be the pf we need. Also hes considered a leader. Its sad that we would have to trade for one but Lewis just isnt stepping up at all. I just wish Lewis played with some aggression and fire but he doesnt. We need a leader bad. Howard just might not be ready for that role yet.

quote:
Originally posted by mongoose:

Nowhere have I read we should be blaming our LEADER of the team, and outright best player, D12. It's always, Otis this, or SVG that. If Dwight's as good as he is, he should realize that he should be carrying our team, taking charge, and leading us back to playing +.500 ball.

When the Lakers struggle, it's clearly because of Kobe, when the Cavs struggle, LeBron gets them back in it, when the Spurs struggle, they feed Duncan. Why aren't we looking at Dwight Howard and saying HE'S the guy that needs to take charge?

Is it because we all like him too much? Perhaps. But blame is due where blame is due, and he has not been as dominant on the offensive end as he was earlier in the year. Sure, Rashard also hasn't been hitting his shots, but I'm sure he'll start coming around and scoring up around 20 ppg again.

But quit the talk about firing Otis or making trades to help Dwight. THIS is the team. THIS is what we have to work with. We don't need to change the lineup all the time or worry about who's playing. Dwight's our man, we assigned him to be the leader of the franchise and dammit, he better pick his game up.

Why don't I blame Dwight? Coz he basically is the reason why we have a winning record. Aside from Hedo and Dwight, everyone else can step it up a bit on the heart department.

Management can help with getting us another big guy who can help rebound.

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

quote:
When the Lakers struggle, it's clearly because of Kobe, when the Cavs struggle, LeBron gets them back in it, when the Spurs struggle, they feed Duncan. Why aren't we looking at Dwight Howard and saying HE'S the guy that needs to take charge?

Mongoose, you answered your own question.

Kobe gets his own shot, or gets his teammates involved better than their PG would. LeBron gets his own shot, or gets his teammates involved better than their PG would. Duncan gets fed and goes to work.

So what's the Magic's problem?

No one feeds Dwight!!!

Here's an analogy for you. The Magic franchise is a family car. Dwight Howard, Rashard Lewis, and Hedo Turkoglu are and should be driving the car. They're in the front seat.

Everyone else on the roster are the bratty kids in the back raising hell and causing a ruckus. Keyon Dooling hogging the ball, Keith Bogans getting blown away on defense, Jameer Nelson with untimely, dumb turnovers, juice box cartons being thrown at the driver's head, kicking the back of the chair, and so on and so on. Meanwhile, the "family car" is swerving all over the road.

Dwight, Shard, and Hedo need to take some control over the freggin' car. They need to take control of the team. They're our Big Three for a reason. They need to be more demanding of the ball and of effort on the defensive end, and people like Keyon Dooling need to stop believing they're 118 million dollar players who should take the off-balance contested shot everytime down the floor and certainly at the end of every quarter.

As an example, I kid you not, I actually saw Dooling chase Rashard Lewis out of the post. At least I think I did, because I couldn't believe my eyes. Is there any excuse for that? Ever!?

Once the Magic figure out where their bread is really buttered on both ends of the court, the family car will roll on smoothly down the road. Until that time, the Orlando Magic are a traffic accident waiting to happen.

Duncan gets fed but he also has a great bank shot for 12 feet out. When D12 start hiting those shots we have no mcompetition.

For some reason I thought this was going to be a Dwight hating thread, but you bring up some excellent points.

Yes he is the best player on this team and yes he should put the weight on his shoulders. But we give him a pass because he's 22 and he does almost everything well aside from a jump shooting/free throw stroke.

But I don't the recent poor play is fault, or at least not mostly. We need some kind of miracle play from Adonal and Auggie to help as bigs, and Rashard needs to show up. Lewis does not look like the same guy I watched in Seattle, maybe I was mistaken, but I hope we can attribute his sub-par play to his injury.

We have to get over it; Howard is awful at free throws. That may not ever change and it certainly won't this year. But Dwight is such a force on both sides of the court he makes up for it. He's not perfect, so I do think everyone else needs to step up.

quote:
the mediocre coaching has gotten so bad that some fans are now blaming Howard

sad

More like the players have played so bad that people will turn to blaming the coaching. You never thought of that did you. Why? Because you're narrow-minded.

quote:
Originally posted by mongoose:

quote:
the mediocre coaching has gotten so bad that some fans are now blaming Howard

sad

More like the players have played so bad that people will turn to blaming the coaching. You never thought of that did you. Why? Because you're narrow-minded.

I agree it's the players, but I don't think it is Dwight's fault. Sometimes it is like he is playing by himself; which is apparently a bad thing, because when he actually DOES play by himself(free throws) he sucks.

^ And not only that, he needs to get the energy and intensity levels up. He knows what he's good at, but it's time for him to excel in those areas when the team isn't playing well. Missed shot by Rashard? I better see Dwight right there for the tip slam.