Sign in to follow this  
mongoose

Why are we so afraid to blame Dwight Howard for the team's struggles?

Nowhere have I read we should be blaming our LEADER of the team, and outright best player, D12. It's always, Otis this, or SVG that. If Dwight's as good as he is, he should realize that he should be carrying our team, taking charge, and leading us back to playing +.500 ball.

When the Lakers struggle, it's clearly because of Kobe, when the Cavs struggle, LeBron gets them back in it, when the Spurs struggle, they feed Duncan. Why aren't we looking at Dwight Howard and saying HE'S the guy that needs to take charge?

Is it because we all like him too much? Perhaps. But blame is due where blame is due, and he has not been as dominant on the offensive end as he was earlier in the year. Sure, Rashard also hasn't been hitting his shots, but I'm sure he'll start coming around and scoring up around 20 ppg again.

But quit the talk about firing Otis or making trades to help Dwight. THIS is the team. THIS is what we have to work with. We don't need to change the lineup all the time or worry about who's playing. Dwight's our man, we assigned him to be the leader of the franchise and dammit, he better pick his game up.

Nowhere have I read we should be blaming our LEADER of the team, and outright best player, D12. It's always, Otis this, or SVG that. If Dwight's as good as he is, he should realize that he should be carrying our team, taking charge, and leading us back to playing +.500 ball.

When the Lakers struggle, it's clearly because of Kobe, when the Cavs struggle, LeBron gets them back in it, when the Spurs struggle, they feed Duncan. Why aren't we looking at Dwight Howard and saying HE'S the guy that needs to take charge?

Is it because we all like him too much? Perhaps. But blame is due where blame is due, and he has not been as dominant on the offensive end as he was earlier in the year. Sure, Rashard also hasn't been hitting his shots, but I'm sure he'll start coming around and scoring up around 20 ppg again.

But quit the talk about firing Otis or making trades to help Dwight. THIS is the team. THIS is what we have to work with. We don't need to change the lineup all the time or worry about who's playing. Dwight's our man, we assigned him to be the leader of the franchise and dammit, he better pick his game up.

I understand what you are getting at but how much more is he supposed to do? We are one of the top rebounding teams in the league, if you take away Dwight we are probably dead last. He erases all of the perimeter D errors and aside from free throws he's a high percentage scorer down low.

I'll give you that he needs to improve at the line but geez cut the man some slack, I'm not afraid to blame him, I can't think of a reason to blame him. Without Dwight this team is Minnesota or worse.

While i do think the Dwight is somewhat responsible, i do not think he is the leader yet. I think he is still in learn mode, and trying to soak up as much as he can. I even think part of the problem is that we don't have a real leader on this team.

I have said in the past few games that D12 along with Rashard and Hedo are not performing up to potential. I do expect that to be the exception and not the rule as far as the rest of the season is concerned. my .02

I see where your coming from, but it is hard to blame Dwight. You have to remember, the kid is still growing, as opposed to a guy like Shard or Hedo who have both been in the league far longer and are older than him.

The thing I notice about Dwight is this. If he scores 10 points in a game, he also grabs 20 rebounds. If he scores 30 points in a game, he grabs maybe 10 rebounds. Sometimes his game is very up and down. But you have to like that on a bad night, he can still get you 19 points and 8 rebounds.

Good point about Dwight mongoose. I guess because he is so young, the fact that he hasn't reached his peak yet (which is nasty), and we know he isn't going anywhere for a long time, gets him a free pass.

Dwight's D has been just as solid as ever. His FT % is equally crappy. The only knock I see on him right now is he is starting to complain a lot. Granted, I think Dwight should be getting the superstar calls just like Kobe, I don't like to see him complaining while the ball is heading the other way down the court. He just needs to let Stan do the complaining and get back and play defense.

You're right, Dwight is the leader and he should take on a lot of the responsibility, but I don't see him as contributing to that crappy December... I just see a worse month if he wasn't around.

quote:
Originally posted by mongoose:

If Dwight's as good as he is, he should realize that he should be carrying our team, taking charge.....

Not making free throws is crucial, especially in close games. The statistic that say we have lost all of our games when Dwight has shot less than 50% from the free throw line is very telling.

Can't really blame Dwight. He needs a few more seasons before he can overcome constant double and triple teams.

On the flipside, his defense and rebounding have been astounding. The more he learns to dominate in those areas even when he isn't involved on offense, the better we'll become. He's learning, growing, getting better.

He needs to quit whining so much to the officials, though - that's a big problem right now imo and is a big distraction.

Aside from not only not making free throws, it's apparent that our offense is only in full swing if he's being dominant down low. It brings double teams, if not triple teams, freeing up the shooters and what not.

But I'm not only talking about his play on the court. I'm talking about extra-curricular off the court, like the media. No one wants to look at him as the man who needs to bring the lift this team needs. We're so quick to put blame elsewhere. For him to mature, he needs to realize that it's on his shoulders. Judging by what he reads I'm sure, this is not obvious.

There is only that much he can do, already putting up "Hall of fame" type of numbers. He is still learning a lot and trying to be a better leader. I think he made a big leap this year and I expect him to make some even bigger leaps in the following years.

Sure he has some off nights, but when his 13pts/8reb is considered an off game, I don't think there is much to blame.

Go Magic!

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

He needs to quit whining so much to the officials, though - that's a big problem right now imo and is a big distraction.

Yeah noticed that, but last month or so, I must say I haven't seem him even once stand and complain during game time that would cause him to be slow on defense.