Sign in to follow this  
~O~

Somebody just Slammed on a *****

You're so far over the deep end, GJG. You take like 3 small quotes out of my entire post and base my entire opinion off of those?

How about the part of my post where I explain that Dwight receives the ball in the low post, or tries to, ever possession (true story) and that he gets triple teamed (true story) while Bynum often times faces single coverage while the defense shifts over to Bryant (true story).

quote:
His role in the high post is no different than Dwights in the pick and roll and Bynum spends far more time twiddling his thumbs on the weakside when the play isn't being run for him than he does in the high post, which is run through the PF in that offense the vast majority of the time.

You're so wrong about the high post - the only time Dwight isn't in the low post is when he's out setting screens - and then he bee-lines right back to the basket afterwards. Bynum DOES have a just-inside the free throw line jumper, if you haven't seen him take / make that shot then you haven't been watching enough NBA on TNT / ESPN. Bynum isn't constantly posting up on the low post like Dwight is.

And to subquote you:

quote:
Bynum spends far more time twiddling his thumbs on the weakside when the play isn't being run for him than he does in the high post,

DUH exactly. So their only low post presence is AWAY from the ball on a lot of plays whereas our lost post presence is nearly ALWAYS looking for the ball. When Bynum shifts over to the weakside, he takes one defender over there with him and the rest of the defenders are all focused on perimeter players. Instead of players jamming up the paint, it creates an open floor.

Between spending time in the high post (I'm telling you, Bynum will camp out around the FT line), setting screens, and shifting to the weakside, he doesn't spend nearly as much time in the low post calling for the ball and attracting multiple defenders down to the basket.

quote:
quote:

If teams are shifting over to guard Kobe they aren't going to be hounding the baselines - they're going to drive Kobe towards the baseline. This change of focus allows Ariza to get behind the defense a lot easier, right?

How is this any different than when Hedo & D12 are running pick and roll? When Dwight on one block, Ariza would be on the weakside ready to dive or crash the boards. Ariza was effective in this role last year in a stagnant offense. The improved movement in our offense this year would create more open lanes. You guys act like D12 is camped out in the paint most of the time like Yao and that's not the case this year.

Dude, it's KOBE BRYANT. Are you seriously saying that a Hedo / D12 pick and roll is the same as a Kobe / Bynum pick and roll? Are you so blind to not see that teams give Hedo the green light to waltz into the lane while they place all their focus on preventing D12 from getting the ball? A Kobe / Bynum pick and roll is completely different, teams try to trap Kobe and force him to get rid of the ball - instead of a second defender jamming up the paint, a second defender is outside of the paint attempting to cut off Kobe Bryant before he even gets into the paint.

quote:
This is theoretical BS that ignores the reality of actually playing the game. Like the notion Kobe draws the defense outside.

Wow... are you seriously telling me that there is no contrast in focus between having Dwight as your primary threat and Kobe as your primary threat? You telling me that there isn't a difference between teams collapsing on Dwight and teams trapping and playing Kobe on the perimeter?

I mean, fck man, Kobe isn't drawing double teams in iso sets initially, but once he puts the ball on the floor teams try to get a 2nd man to cut him off at least 10-12 feet away from the basket to prevent him from even getting into the lane. Dwight gets doubled like 4-6 feet from the basket because he never leaves the lane except to prevent 3 second calls. Tell me that doesn't leave more space under the basket for the Lakers

No matter how you try to slice this stuff up, it doesn't change fact of how our system, with Dwight, is totally different than the Lakers' system, with Kobe. Focus on paint versus focus on perimeter. Eyes looking at the basket versus eyes looking out around 20ft from the basket to see what Kobe is doing.

Finally my comment about Ariza's two games wasn't even directed at you, it was a general comment. But I'm glad to see you're on the "SVG's Offensive System Blows Donkey Butt" bandwagon, because the system and vision of SVG / Otis is failing miserably now. Dwight still can't drive an offense like Shaq. Hedo isn't a superstar. Until they change it up and run an offense that more evenly accentuates our other offensive talents we'll continue looking bad.

Well so much for positivity.. I guess I should of known better.

Call me crazy but I think this thread should of been used to celebrate Ariza stepping up and having a nice game. It would be out of the oridinary, instead of p***ing and moaning like we always do in every other thread.

I hate that Ariza is finding success in LA. The pieces we got back for him aren't doing anything good for us. Evans is having his worst shooting year and Cook is having his worst year period.

No positivity there for me, just frustration that makes me want to argue with people.

At least he's posterizing Grant Hill. That's nice to see.

Nice post Hutch... I can only assume Grant got to the spot late because the picture clearly shows grants feet outside of the circle... that must have been on offensive foul right? lol