Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

ESPN's John Hollinger tells 2 reasons why Orlando trades

Orlando's trade for Brian Cook and Maurice Evans Tuesday is quite interesting, not so much for the significance of the players involved as for what it means about where the teams are headed. The trade sent the duo from L.A. to Orlando for Trevor Ariza, a high-flying wing player who is only 21 years old and has a great future as an energy guy in the Ruben Patterson mold.

From L.A.'s perspective, this deal was a no-brainer. They give up two guys who weren't playing while adding a true 3 -- a position the Lakers needed to bolster. And Ariza is another athletic young player who can become part of the nucleus headed by Farmar-Turiaf-Bynum if and when Kobe Bryant finally gets a new address. In terms of value this was a deal they couldn't pass up -- Ariza's upside is far greater than Cook's, and Evans was disposable.

So why'd Orlando do this? Two reasons, both of which make sense.

First of all, they're dead serious about surrounding Dwight Howard with shooters. Ariza can't shoot, so he didn't really have a role on this team. Cook, on the other hand, can shoot like nobody's business -- he's a career 39.2 percent 3-point shooter. It's the only reason he's in the league, in fact. And since he can also play the frontcourt, an area where the Magic find themselves a body short after losing Tony Battie for the season.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3121...Login02=stateChanged

Orlando's trade for Brian Cook and Maurice Evans Tuesday is quite interesting, not so much for the significance of the players involved as for what it means about where the teams are headed. The trade sent the duo from L.A. to Orlando for Trevor Ariza, a high-flying wing player who is only 21 years old and has a great future as an energy guy in the Ruben Patterson mold.

From L.A.'s perspective, this deal was a no-brainer. They give up two guys who weren't playing while adding a true 3 -- a position the Lakers needed to bolster. And Ariza is another athletic young player who can become part of the nucleus headed by Farmar-Turiaf-Bynum if and when Kobe Bryant finally gets a new address. In terms of value this was a deal they couldn't pass up -- Ariza's upside is far greater than Cook's, and Evans was disposable.

So why'd Orlando do this? Two reasons, both of which make sense.

First of all, they're dead serious about surrounding Dwight Howard with shooters. Ariza can't shoot, so he didn't really have a role on this team. Cook, on the other hand, can shoot like nobody's business -- he's a career 39.2 percent 3-point shooter. It's the only reason he's in the league, in fact. And since he can also play the frontcourt, an area where the Magic find themselves a body short after losing Tony Battie for the season.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3121...Login02=stateChanged

Junkie hooked us up...leave it be...

Great article and i like the way the ESPN guys are thinking now... i just hope them and Otis are right..

They way i look at it,

Ariza was bearly an impact in our success thus far...with Cook and Evans it gives us more depth and even more of a possible chance..

quote:
Originally posted by spenny:

Did i miss something? Wernt we sposed to post the first 3 paragraphs of an article/blog etc or have I just been away for to long.

Were you a tattle tale in elementary school?

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

quote:

Did i miss something? Wernt we sposed to post the first 3 paragraphs of an article/blog etc or have I just been away for to long.

Nope. i just wasnt sure. I really couldnt give a s***. I didnt want to post my own article an then get ripped on for pasting the whole thing.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

This is the same John Hollinger who was ripping Otis all summer long who now seems to be giving him praise.

We all knew all the magic haters would jump on the bandwagon sooner or later. These are the same people who will jump off IF we loose 2 or more games straight.

Nyce article. With the way our off-season went, and the season is going so far, it makes for a great storybook championship yeah. I have a feeling and I will be subscribing to Sports Illustrated to get my free Orlando Magic Championship gift.

People are still overreacting on this board. Otis isn't the best GM, but he's done well in trades. He has the benefit of the doubt. Now, just get someone to do our drafts and handle our FA negotiations and we're set.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

What was the second reason? I don't have insider! lol

The second reason was that He (Hollinger), other experts, and Otis think the Magic may have a legit chance to contend THIS YEAR and this move was to soley shore up our bench. Ariza spot was being wasted. Championship teams have depth and that's something we were lacking.

This trade fills two holes (backup SG and front court).

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

quote:

Nope. i just wasnt sure. I really couldnt give a s***. I didnt want to post my own article an then get ripped on for pasting the whole thing.

wow thanks alot *** now i cant read the rest