Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Magic Acquire Brian Cook and Maurice Evans From L.A. Lakers

Ok, Im sure this has been said earlier in the thread, but I cant handle reading the same thing over and over for 24 pages so Ill ask again.

Will Cook and Evans be playing for us in San Antonio tomorrow? I dont know how long these things take to complete, if not, when will they be joining the team? I know they arent gonna just right in and get playing time, but I am asking more to find out when they will start practicing with the team to get involved.

thanks

EDIT: dang it... now I have to update my sig =/

quote:
Originally posted by Blackhennie:

cook played good when there was shaq on the lakers. we have howard and cook value can show again. ariza will be a unrestricted free agent at the end of the year, no one would have given up much more. because they could lose him for nothing.

I know you really believe that, but you are dead wrong.

There are teams with player they A. Want to dump or B. Are going to lose regardless ala RaSheed Wallace.

Ariza is the type of player who could facilitate such a deal. Umm, hasn't he already been that player once?

This deal is stupidity compounded.

I'm laughing at posters on this board claiming Cook is a good fit when most making that claim haven't even seen the scrub play.

quote:
true, LOL

For ToughBreak, who loves to praise everything moronic about the Magic, Otis didn't take us from 21 wins to this.. if you actually stop and think a LiL before you write...

Let's start at his choice for a coach that he took a month to make, Donovan.. great flop that turned out to be.

Yeah Otis is definitely a genius (sarcasm)

You attack me in your posts but you never offer any substantial facts or ideas to back your attacks up. Not sure how I came to praise everything about the Magic (I was a vocal critic of letting Darko go, and I thought we over-paid for Lewis).

And other than Hocky-man's genius draft of MeerWard, how exactly hasn't Otis gotten us to where we are today? Was the Donovan situation ugly? Yes. But how was it Otis's fault? The man signed a contract. Has Otis found an execellent coach? Sure seems that way so far.

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

Ok, Im sure this has been said earlier in the thread, but I cant handle reading the same thing over and over for 24 pages so Ill ask again.

Will Cook and Evans be playing for us in San Antonio tomorrow? I dont know how long these things take to complete, if not, when will they be joining the team? I know they arent gonna just right in and get playing time, but I am asking more to find out when they will start practicing with the team to get involved.

thanks

EDIT: dang it... now I have to update my sig =/

Yes, Denton posted it in his blog. They'll be dressing out in the Magic Blue!!

1. I'm sure we could of gotten more for Trevor Ariza and a 2.6 million dollar get out of jail free card.

2. Stan Van Gundy makes me feel better about everything. For example, God help Brian Cook if he thinks he's going to be lazy in one of HIS practices.

3. Hopefully Brian Cook does one thing right: mark the end of Pat Garrity's long overdone days in the Orlando Magic rotation. PLEASE!

4. The one thing that gives me hope is: Maurice Evans. I just have a real gut feeling that the IQ of Evans will be raised by a REAL coach in SVG (unlike Mr. Jackson) and he will challenge Keith Bogans over time for the starting job. Either way I think Evans and Bogans will take 99% of the rotation time at SG.

5. The biggest key that's not being talked about isn't just that Ariza and Evans is a pretty lateral move based on just production, but that Evans is a SHOOTING GUARD while Ariza was a SF. We were a team with too many SFs and PGs, with not enough good SGs or big men of any decent quality.

This trade at least did one thing, and that's deal with our roster imbalance.

Conclusion: I don't think this trade is fantastic, but its good enough. Now hopefully Garrity, Dooling, and their expiring contracts get traded near the trading deadline. I think at this point, Carlos (backup PG) and Redick (injury insurance/extended rookie contract) are worth keeping unless there's a trade that blows your socks off.

quote:
1. I'm sure we could of gotten more for Trevor Ariza and a 2.6 million dollar get out of jail free card.

2. Stan Van Gundy makes me feel better about everything. For example, God help Brian Cook if he thinks he's going to be lazy in one of HIS practices.

3. Hopefully Brian Cook does one thing right: mark the end of Pat Garrity's long overdone days in the Orlando Magic rotation. PLEASE!

4. The one thing that gives me hope is: Maurice Evans. I just have a real gut feeling that the IQ of Evans will be raised by a REAL coach in SVG (unlike Mr. Jackson) and he will challenge Keith Bogans over time for the starting job. Either way I think Evans and Bogans will take 99% of the rotation time at SG.

5. The biggest key that's not being talked about isn't just that Ariza and Evans is a pretty lateral move based on just production, but that Evans is a SHOOTING GUARD while Ariza was a SF. We were a team with too many SFs and PGs, with not enough good SGs or big men of any decent quality.

This trade at least did one thing, and that's deal with our roster imbalance.

Conclusion: I don't think this trade is fantastic, but its good enough. Now hopefully Garrity, Dooling, and their expiring contracts get traded near the trading deadline. I think at this point, Carlos (backup PG) and Redick (injury insurance/extended rookie contract) are worth keeping unless there's a trade that blows your socks off.

Good post Sky.

quote:
Originally posted by D-BoFats:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Sorry Soul, but you must be kidding, right?

This team has an abundance of shooters that are all too eager to launch from the perimiter. meanwhile, this team is burdened by an inability to play tough defense and grab rebounds.

So we just traded away a player that ranks above average in our weakest areas for a guy that ranks above average in our areas of strength. How does that make sense?

No, we traded a player that wasn't being used for two role players that happen to fit perfectly in SVG's offense.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Look, people. I know everyone loves Ariza because he's young and dunkarrific, but the Magic just got deeper and more experienced. I'll take it.

quote:
Originally posted by Tough Break There:

Was the Donovan situation ugly? Yes. But how was it Otis's fault? The man signed a contract.

Billy D. backing out of the deal isn't what made it a bad choice. Best case, it showed very questionable judgement to go in that direction to begin with. He backed into a 2nd chance and I'll give him credit for making the most of it. I'm not ready to put SVG in the Hall of Fame just yet, but he appears to be the right coach for this team.