Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Magic Acquire Brian Cook and Maurice Evans From L.A. Lakers

I think that we could wind up okay out of this deal. Unfortunately our team philosophy became much more oriented to having a ton of shooters spread out on the floor for dwight and ariza just didn't fit that.

I'm glad we got Evans as a replacement, but worry a bit about Cook. I just hope this trade does something to give him a spark because he could be great with a little work.

quote:
Originally posted by TheDarkSide:

I am still waiting for some one to take me up on this bet, and none of you are doing it. The Lakers will have an awesome team again one day with Ariza and Bynum. Can you imagine Ariza and Kobe in practice, and Kobe getting him to work on his shot. The Lakers got another Bryant on their hand if that happends.

Because it's a stupid assed bet!!! Who cares who'll be an all-star first. Ariza was not going to ever be an all-star while playing on our team. That is what you seem to be missing. Lewis is our small forward. He's playing the 4 now and it's working out real well. I'm not sure you have noticed.

If we ever get a regular 4, then Lewis will move to the small forward position. In the meantime, Hedo is our starting 3 and doing a great job at it.

So how's Ariza ever going to be an All-Star coming off the bench?

He may be an all-star someday, but it would not have been with the Magic, even if we didn't make the trade.

I try to stay away from telling people they don't know what they're talking about. You don't seem to mind since you said earlier that if anyone thought Ariza was a bench player you didn't think they had ever watched a basketball game in their life.

Let me tell you, I am a happy comcast customer and I've seen our first 12 games. Ariza was a bench player for a 10 and 2 team. That's good enough for me.

Chosen12, lol everyone is freaking out like we lost a huge part of our defense.

Ariza didn't play enough to give us a defensive presence. Evans is similar to Ariza and according to laker fans is a good defender.

Ariza averaging 10 minutes a game doesn't put us in 9th for (ppg) scored on us. It also doesn't put us 3rd in opponents Field goal percentage against us.

Stop being delusional guys, lets get real.

I am sure I am about to make some points that everyone already made but here is my take on everything....

Trevor has tremendous upside if he can ever learn how to shoot. Unfortunately in the SVG system that is the most important attribute you can have. Stan does not like to play guys who cannot shoot and that reduced Trevor to a situational defensive replacement. I loved watching Trevor posterize people and use his freak athletic skills but quite honestly I do not know what type of player he can become if he never learns to shoot. There are plenty of great athletes in the NBA who never turn into good all-around basketball players.

What I really think this trade boils down to or at least most of it is money. Knowing alot of teams could use a guy like Trevor he will probably demand something around the mid-level. The Magic have other issues to fill and are not going to pay that type of money to a guy SVG relegated to a defensive replacement role. I too think in time that they probably could have gotten something better but they probably did not want to take on to long of a contract. Evans expires and Cook has only 2 years after this one.

As for Cook and Evans I really have never seen them play. I have always heard though that Phil is very hard on young players and this could have led to Cook's confidence being shot. Like Trevor when a guy feels he is underutilized he tends to lose confidence in his abilites.

As for grading it out or anything like that I will have to wait to see how these guys play before passing judgement. On paper it looks like the Lakers got the better end of the deal but only time will tell.

For you Laker fans reading the board good luck with Trevor and hopefully this is a trade that can benefit both teams.

Yah every thing is ok until some one gets Hurt. You know we let Darko walk, an then Tony got hurt. How did that work out for us? You have to take that into factor. Their is no Reason why Ariza couldnt get 25 minutes a game.

I guess no one remembers the Mobley trade either...Hum

Here's another thought, and I'm not saying this because we traded Trevor and I want the Magic to look good.

Has anybody besides me noticed that since last season when Trevor hurt his knee in the Golden State game he hasn't been rearly as effective or explosive?

quote:
Originally posted by Sain:

Chosen12, lol everyone is freaking out like we lost a huge part of our defense.

Ariza didn't play enough to give us a defensive presence. Evans is similar to Ariza and according to laker fans is a good defender.

Ariza averaging 10 minutes a game doesn't put us in 9th for (ppg) scored on us. It also doesn't put us 3rd in opponents Field goal percentage against us.

Stop being delusional guys, lets get real.

Sain,

I'm glad to see you have picked up the pace and stopped being our oldest living rookie!!!

I've always liked your posts, glad to see more of them.

quote:
The fact is Ariza is in his young 20's and is a freak of nature. He is worth more then Cook and Evans, and we got jacked. If Ariza does get a shot he will be better then T Mac Or Kobe, because he plays defense, gets rabounds, and follows up garbage shots. He is a better athlete then those two.

Here are some videos of him last year:

Here is his rookie mix tape on the Knicks, andits really awesome:

Ariza will be an All Star one day, and Cook and Evans never will.

You can't prove that he will be an all star on day. Highlight tapes mean nothing, go watch any players highlight tapes and they will look good. Did you see evans? Very Similar to Ariza but he can shoot (according to the youtube video's which you seem on basing your whole argument on)

And if he gets a shot he can even be MJ and if he gets bigger he can dominate like Shaq.

Thats a great trade. I think the Lakers walk out as the bigger winner but it's also a benefits Trevor, Brian Cook and not so much Maurice Evans. But the Magic get a body and the Lakers get a beast.

quote:
Originally posted by TheDarkSide:

Their was no reason for this trade to go down. We have one of the top records in the NBA, and we will win our division. No on expected us to win the championship, and these two players dont help us at all to win one. We traded a lot of upside and a freak of nature for Cook who is a younger Tony Battie, and another PG " We got a PG Jam"

We Could Have Traded Ariza to the Kincks for David Lee.

We could have traded Ariza and JJ to the Pacers for J.O'neal.

We should have traded Ariza and JJ to the Lakers and got back Bynum in the deal.

Their was no reason to panic here.

This reminds me of the season Puck Head made the trade Mobley for Christie, we had the best record in the NBA and it screwed up our team. It may not screw up our team now, but in the future we will regret trading t mac 2 for nothing.

The big difference is that Cuttino was very important and doing well at the time, while Ariza has been a non-factor this season.

I am still uncertain about this trade, but to put Ariza in the class of T Mac is overstating it a bit, I think.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Here's another thought, and I'm not saying this because we traded Trevor and I want the Magic to look good.

Has anybody besides me noticed that since last season when Trevor hurt his knee in the Golden State game he hasn't been rearly as effective or explosive?

Yes, but I attributed it to a lack of PT since the injury. I somehow doubt Trevor is damaged goods though.