Sign in to follow this  
threedee

how does this start compare to last years?

We are on par to potentially match or break last years opening mark. I was wondering how the teams we have played this year stack up to those we played last year during our 13-4 run? I've been a little reluctant to get too excited because it seems like this team traditionally gets off to a great start before a collapse. I want to see if there's reason to be optimistic that that won't happen, beyond the coaching change and the addition of lewis. In other words, I think SVG will prevent it from happening. However, do we have reasons to be optimistic beyond that, based on the schedule? It seems like we've had a somewhat tough schedule so far, with the majority of our games on the road. Was last year's start against easier teams and/or were there less road games? What happened, did we just fizzle out last year? Get exposed by quality opponents? Were there injuries? I guess I blocked it out.

We are on par to potentially match or break last years opening mark. I was wondering how the teams we have played this year stack up to those we played last year during our 13-4 run? I've been a little reluctant to get too excited because it seems like this team traditionally gets off to a great start before a collapse. I want to see if there's reason to be optimistic that that won't happen, beyond the coaching change and the addition of lewis. In other words, I think SVG will prevent it from happening. However, do we have reasons to be optimistic beyond that, based on the schedule? It seems like we've had a somewhat tough schedule so far, with the majority of our games on the road. Was last year's start against easier teams and/or were there less road games? What happened, did we just fizzle out last year? Get exposed by quality opponents? Were there injuries? I guess I blocked it out.

Last year a couple of things happened. The crazy amount of turnover's finally bit us and the team stopped playing hard.

I think this year is different because for the most part the t/o's are down and they are playing hard the whole game. You don't see guys goofing around on the bench when we are playing poorly.

Last year we were not mentally tough at all, if we gave up a lead we folded. I can't remember the last time we played like we are now. We just need to stop giving up leads.

Losing Ariza really hurt the team last year after our great start.

You have taken away a lot of options on why it won't happen when you say "beyond the coaching change and the addition of lewis". The coaching change itself made us much less likely to take a dive like last year. And Lewis has been pretty clutch at the end of the games.

Last year we were not prepared for the easy teams. That is who beat us after our good start. I don't think SVG will let that happen again. And D12 is a tougher player this year, with a bit of an edge to him. He won't let it happen either.

There is a different feel to this year, although i felt good about last years start, but I think the difference to this start THIS year, compared to last year is that HEDO, a guy I don't give much props to is playing CONSISTENT----DARE I say that word with Hedo in the same sentence, sigh. I think compared to last year Hedo was lights out one game and then a JV player the next, so far he has brought a decent performance to every game and has hit some big shots, and another thing is hes kept his turnovers down quite a bit, this is what i think beyond SVG and Rashard, is what has helped win games this season, and of course, D12 being even bigger and better then the seasons before.

First of all the schedule was much easier with a lot of very bad teams on it. 7-0 on the road is impressive for any team right now.

Last year you could also tell that the turnovers and lack of a crunch time scorer were going to catch up with us. Once teams started zoning us and packing the lane we had no way to score consistently.

The offensive scheme was flawed to create space for our best player and Grant Hill was not a good match with Dwight.

The advantage that team had was it had no problem rebounding, if we can keep the rebounding margins even this team will continue to win.

Last year Coach Hill focused on defense in the preseason and the team really seemed to get the message in the first few games. They were impressive defensively. They also, I think, were under the radar so much teams fell asleep on them and the Magic stole some wins. Then the defense started slipping, teams realized the Magic had potential to win games, and Coach Hill's lack of offensive coaching skill doomed them. This year the whole team is playing better and they have a better coach and a new all-star. I hope they keep this up! Go Magic.