Sign in to follow this  
Live or Die Magic

The Beer Thread

Ok, so I am in the Houston airport on Saturday at Noon, standing at an airport bar watching the bar TV show the NFL draft. I'm not even from Houston and I already know that Mario Williams is going #1 to the Texans. Well, there is the group of guys who are from Houston who apparently don't know, cuz when the pick is announced, they all yell and act like "What? Holy crap, why didn't we take Bush?" It was all I could do not to make a wise-*** comment.

Oh, and yes, I had a beer in my hand.

It's probably best that you did not. In times of distress there is no telling what a sports fan will do. Kinda like when you back an animal into a corner and let me tell you if the Bucs ever drafted Mario Williams over Reggie Bush I might just burst into flames.

Well, the comment would have been something like:

"Hey, I hear George Dubya forced the Texans to take Williams. He doesn't want a bigger Bush in Texas than him."

Of course, that probably wouldn't have gone down well either. Those Texans take their statehood seriously. There is actually an unofficial state motto there: "Texas, its like a whole nother country!"

Oh yeah, here's another good one....so we are flying from Houston to Dallas and as we are on our approach to Dallas, we can see the beautiful downtown Dallas from our starboard side. I have a window seat and as we pass by downtown, I start humming the "Dallas" theme out loud. After a few seconds someone joins me, then another joins me, next thing you know, there's like 6 or 7 people humming the Dallas theme. Good times. Too bad there wasn't a beer handy.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

Oh yeah, here's another good one....so we are flying from Houston to Dallas and as we are on our approach to Dallas, we can see the beautiful downtown Dallas from our starboard side. I have a window seat and as we pass by downtown, I start humming the "Dallas" theme out loud. After a few seconds someone joins me, then another joins me, next thing you know, there's like 6 or 7 people humming the Dallas theme. Good times. Too bad there wasn't a beer handy.

LOL! I love it when complete strangers get your sense of humor and join in.

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_Magic:

Ha ha thats some good stuff, normally drink is involved in those situations, obviously just some happy Texans!!

Oh man, Texans are awesome! This was my third trip to Texas and I have been to all three major cities (SA, Houston, and Dallas). They are the same in all three cities. Just extremely friendly. But it cracks me up how big a deal it is to BE in Texas. I mean, they have Texas bumper stickers all over the place and even the beer bottles all have Texas written on them.

Name the last time you read or heard someone say "Proud to be a Floridian!"

quote:

quote:

Ha ha thats some good stuff, normally drink is involved in those situations, obviously just some happy Texans!!

Oh man, Texans are awesome! This was my third trip to Texas and I have been to all three major cities (SA, Houston, and Dallas). They are the same in all three cities. Just extremely friendly. But it cracks me up how big a deal it is to BE in Texas. I mean, they have Texas bumper stickers all over the place and even the beer bottles all have Texas written on them.

Name the last time you read or heard someone say "Proud to be a Floridian!"

I have been to Dallas on business before a couple of years back and it was just crazy, as you say, in your face, they really love the fact they are Texans, I think its awesome!

quote:

I have been to Dallas on business before a couple of years back and it was just crazy, as you say, in your face, they really love the fact they are Texans, I think its awesome!

Remember the scene in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" when he sticks his head out the phone booth and yells "The Stars at night, are big and bright!" Then all these Texans in hats stop and say "Deep in the heart of Texas."

Well, it was all I could do not to do that. It would have been great.

quote:

quote:

Remember the scene in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" when he sticks his head out the phone booth and yells "The Stars at night, are big and bright!" Then all these Texans in hats stop and say "Deep in the heart of Texas."

Well, it was all I could do not to do that. It would have been great.

If you had done that you would have been my idol. I would have immediately built a shrine in your honor. If I go to Texas that will be the first thing I do when I get off the plane. I am also going to try it while pumping gas at a gas station and in public restrooms.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

If you had done that you would have been my idol. I would have immediately built a shrine in your honor. If I go to Texas that will be the first thing I do when I get off the plane. I am also going to try it while pumping gas at a gas station and in public restrooms.

Hey wait, I thought I already was your idol! Oh wait, I'm confusing Penny and P.t....oh, heck, I don't have the heart anymore.

Yeah, if I had had a beer or two in me at any point, I definitely would have done it. I had other co-workers with me most of the time, including the VP of the company.