Sign in to follow this  
Emory889

Are HDMI cables worth it?

Emory, I am also recent to the HD club and had similar questions about HDMI verses the YPbR cables. I have both and have used both and HDMI is superior. The fact that HDMI will run both the sound and video through the same single connection is reason enough.

However, I did not spend the money for a Monster cable. I got one at Costco for $50 bucks. It also came with pretty much any other cables I would need for hooking up audio and video to any of the various components (stereo receiver, DVR, and DVD player), so it was a great buy.

I had to laugh hearing everyone making over the Discovery channel because I was the same way. My favorite was "Sunrise Earth." I bought the HD package from Brighthouse and pretty much stick with those channels and the network HD channels.

I also have seen the difference between HD and regular cable on my TV. The main reason is the size of most HDTVs. A low resolution image is being stretched too big and begins to look grainy. The Magic games are the worst!

Finally, I also did what Marc_Acres did and left the coaxial connected so I can switch back and forth between the regular feed and the HDMI feed. All you need is standard "s" cables for the audio.

Anyone with a Brighthouse HD box ever have trouble with "blips" in the feed or "blue screens" when on the HD channels?

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

Yes, HDMI cables improve the quality of movies and the graphics of gaming dramatically. I have one as well, and yes it makes a very large difference. I would say go for it. I bought mine for $89.99 at target and it looks great.

I hate retail stores when it comes to cables. Curcuit City had a regular USB cable for $35 (I needed one for my printer). They jack up the prices on cables way too much. I'm suprised that people actually buy them. This is when amazon and ebay are really good sites to use. If you do decide to by a HDMI cable go to Amazon or Ebay. You can buy one for about $10, and that includes shipping. Just be sure you have the right type.

For example,

Here's a HDMI cable that sells for $80 (according to amazon) and if you buy a new one on amazon it'll cost you $9.10 which includes the shipping. The only downside is that you have to wait 3-7 days for it to come to your doorstep, but hey you lived without it this long whats one more week?

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Super-Resolution-Cable-Abacu...id=1174791699&sr=8-1

You're right Magic31. I have a friend who works at Best Buy, who gets pretty good deals on merchandise. However, any accessory, such as cables, he gets for like 5 bucks. Basically, he gets 5% over wholesale on everything, so that shows you how much these cables actually cost.

quote:
Originally posted by Magic31:

For example,

Here's a HDMI cable that sells for $80 (according to amazon) and if you buy a new one on amazon it'll cost you $9.10 which includes the shipping. The only downside is that you have to wait 3-7 days for it to come to your doorstep, but hey you lived without it this long whats one more week?

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Super-Resolution-Cable-Abacu...id=1174791699&sr=8-1

Thanks Dude! I'm going to buy one off of Amazon today.