Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Do the Magic need to make a trade?

I'd much rather trade Dooling than J.J. First of all, J.J. just got his contract extended and costs the Magic chump change. Secondly, Dooling's contract is expiring so he makes much better trade bait for other teams to take than J.J. does.

Either Arroyo or Dooling needs to go for a big. And the one that remains can be Jameer's backup.

But yes yes, we know that Smack pretty much thinks nothing of J.J. If the Magic ever gave him.. I dunno.. MINUTES.. then I'm absolutely positive he'd prove everyone wrong. And I've been positive about ever since the minute we drafted him. Thing is, I'm sure he has been too.

In short, I agree with Knappy on this one. I'd rather let either Garrity, Arroyo, or Dooling go before J.J. Heck I'd rather let Bogans go before JJ or Dooling, but everyone seems to have fallen in love with the guy this season for some reason. I don't think he's anything really special at all unless he's standing in the corner of the court waiting for a pass to come his way.

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

i like turk, but no...jameer's shooting is streaky at best. shard is a good freethrow shooter, but not as good as jj, who is a career 90% shooter from the line. and, he can hit the three better too. besides, even though i loved shard last night, he is likely to miss some amount of games every season due to injury. and it will be nice to have a sharpshooter step in. especially one that scraps and has the IQ necessary to stay relevant in a game that is dominated by more athletic people. he will make his worth known. what kind of pf would you expect to get for jj? you really think he would fit the team better? unless if he is a 90% shooter from the stripe and a 40% shooter from beyond the arc, we are taking two steps back.

This is way too funny. You question Shard's durability by comparing him to JJ??? Mr herniated disk? Mr. broken hand? Mr. I can't stay healthy in the preseason, two years in a row? Mr. 43 professional games played?

No, I don't think a PF can be had for JJ straight up. Which is why I stated that he should be packaged with Arroyo. Their salaries combined are 6 million. Any MLE PF will fit in just fine.

I'm actually paying JJ a compliment by suggesting that he should be part of a trade because he has value.

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

I'd much rather trade Dooling than J.J. First of all, J.J. just got his contract extended and costs the Magic chump change. Secondly, Dooling's contract is expiring so he makes much better trade bait for other teams to take than J.J. does.

Either Arroyo or Dooling needs to go for a big. And the one that remains can be Jameer's backup.

But yes yes, we know that Smack pretty much thinks nothing of J.J. If the Magic ever gave him.. I dunno.. MINUTES.. then I'm absolutely positive he'd prove everyone wrong. And I've been positive about ever since the minute we drafted him. Thing is, I'm sure he has been too.

In short, I agree with Knappy on this one. I'd rather let either Garrity, Arroyo, or Dooling go before J.J. Heck I'd rather let Bogans go before JJ or Dooling, but everyone seems to have fallen in love with the guy this season for some reason. I don't think he's anything really special at all unless he's standing in the corner of the court waiting for a pass to come his way.

Typically young guys prove they deserve playing time in practice. It has already been chronicled that Bogans destroyed JJ in the preseason practices.

And who knows. Maybe if JJ could stay away from the night clubs and the bars long enough to stay healthy we would see a different side of this.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

Typically young guys prove they deserve playing time in practice. It has already been chronicled that Bogans destroyed JJ in the preseason practices.

And who knows. Maybe if JJ could stay away from the night clubs and the bars long enough to stay healthy we would see a different side of this.

We could discuss this all day and night, but the one thing that won't make me change my stance on this is their contracts, especially since we should be able to agree they're all somewhat equally talented.

Plus its not just what WE want to do, it's what OTHER TEAMS are willing to do. Anyone is more likely to take an expiring contract over one that isn't so they can get it off the books and free up cap space.

I seem to remember a lot of crying about how we got nothing for Darko. Do we really want to be doing that next summer when Carlos, Keyon, or Godforbid both leave for absolutely nothing? Besides, why have Jameer, Dooling, and Carlos on your roster when you only enough minutes for two of the three anyway?

We have 3 expiring contracts. We've got J.J. locked up, we've got him on the cheap, and oh by the way, he's the greatest scorer in ACC history. Unless someone offers Otis a deal that royally blows his socks off, there's just no reason to trade Redick. Period.

2 of our 3 expiring contracts are guards. We have one guard too many. We need (at least) one big. Teams want expiring contracts.

I mean, do the math?

quote:

quote:

J.J. is a partier? I didn't know that. Maybe somebody can shed some light on it if anybody knows something. Anyway, I totally agree, trying to play the nightlife and being an NBA athlete usually don't mix. Unless your Michael Jordan!(lol)

quote:

We could discuss this all day and night, but the one thing that won't make me change my stance on this is their contracts, especially since we should be able to agree they're all somewhat equally talented.

Plus its not just what WE want to do, it's what OTHER TEAMS are willing to do. Anyone is more likely to take an expiring contract over one that isn't so they can get it off the books and free up cap space.

I seem to remember a lot of crying about how we got nothing for Darko. Do we really want to be doing that next summer when Carlos, Keyon, or Godforbid both leave for absolutely nothing? Besides, why have Jameer, Dooling, and Carlos on your roster when you only enough minutes for two of the three anyway?

We have 3 expiring contracts. We've got J.J. locked up, we've got him on the cheap, and oh by the way, he's the greatest scorer in ACC history. Unless someone offers Otis a deal that royally blows his socks off, there's just no reason to trade Redick. Period.

2 of our 3 expiring contracts are guards. We have one guard too many. We need (at least) one big. Teams want expiring contracts.

I mean, do the math?

Ok. Let's do the math. But remember, you aksed for it.

JJ is currently being paid 2 million this season. That's $47,619.00 per game (applied to last years stats). Dooling is getting paid 3.6 million this season and plays a different position than JJ and provides something that JJ can't (not even in his dreams), defense. So Dooling gets paid slightly more at $53,939.00 per game.

So what do they contribute when they are on the court? Redick gets paid $3,215.00 per minute. Dooling gets paid far less at $2480.00 per minute. Redick gets paid $7936.50 per point scored. Dooling gets paid far less at $6833.00 per point scored. Redick gets paid $38,461.50 per rebound. Dooling gets paid slightly more at $41,395.00 per rebound. Redick gets paid 166,666.00 per steal. Dooling gets paid far less at 68,461.50 per steal. Redick gets paid $57,143.00 per assist. Dooling gets paid far less at $31,785.00 per assist.

So as you can see, yes, we can go on all day about this. But for my money, Dooling seems to be the much better bargain when you factor in exactly what he is contributing (not just total dollars & cents). The fact that he fills a role on this team not able to be filled by any other player on the roster, a defensive minded PG, is just further proof that he is less expendable than JJ.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

J.J. is a partier? I didn't know that. Maybe somebody can shed some light on it if anybody knows something. Anyway, I totally agree, trying to play the nightlife and being an NBA athlete usually don't mix. Unless your Michael Jordan!(lol)

DUI ring a bell?

There isn't any one of us that hasn't gotten behind the wheel of a car after a few beers. He just happened to get caught in a campus checkpoint. Any other evidence?

quote:

DUI ring a bell?

Except that happened before he even joined the Magic. I don't think there were any similar incidents since then. If you know something else then we might have a case to talk about. Otherwise it was a really inappropriate-provocative comment that has nothing to do with current situation besides causing arguing.

Smack, I know you have hated JJ since Otis picked him. In fact I am almost shocked you did not bring up Ronnie Brewer scoring 18 for the Jazz on opening night.

But why trade away a shooter (you can never have enough) on a cheap rookie contract? Especially, when him and Arroyo are will likely to only net you a Jerome James like player?

I hate seeing Garrity play at all, but there are not many decent bigs on the market and few teams will trade one for a couple back up guards. Teams generally won't go against the small for big rule.

Personally, I would love to see what the Dooling/JJ tandem could do with the second unit. They had some nice games and chemistry together last year with Dooling taking on the harder defensive match up and JJ spreading the floor for Dooling's dribble penetration.

quote:

Not sure if I'll get in trouble for this or not. But since you're all calling me out...

jj.jpg

Taken a few months ago.

And what's that band on his left wrist? Looks like he had just had some blood drawn...hahahahahahaha!