Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Do the Magic need to make a trade?

Billy D. did us a great favor. I believe that the team would not have been as promising as it is if he had decided to honor his contract.

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

if we put him on the market...i promise you, every title contender will try to get him. because(answering your question too emory), at the end of the game, when the other team is over the limit and looking to foul...who would you pass the ball in to? think about it smack. you are underrating jj hardcore. he has a niche, and would be a number 1 sub for many teams. go through some video of championship teams and see who gets put on the line at the end of the games...steve kerr? derek fisher? brent barry? all 80%+ free throw shooters that arent exactly all around players. do some research, instead of using bias.

I'm biased? Why don't you do some research and put a tad bit of thought into your posts. At the end of a close game, you really think JJ is worht not having a PF, just so we can get JJ to the free throw line? You think Jameer, Shard, Turk, aren't plenty capable of hitting free throws?

FYI, they're all better than 80% free throw shooters.

There is no way in he11 that you pay JJ 2 million per season to hit free throws a couple games a year. Especially when you have a gaping hole in your frontcourt that can't be filled without a trade, even by a resurgent Pat Garrity.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

I wouldn't object at all to a second unit featuring Dooling at the PG and Redick at the SG. This way Dooling can cover whichever guard is the biggest scoring threat.

I just don't like the role Arroyo plays with this team and would love to find mor eminutes for Ariza. So if it's a deal including Arroyo & Garrity, fine.

The one thing I loved seing last night was SVG's rotation. We had a starting scoring threat on the court at all times. Last season I got sick of watching B Hill unload our entire bench all at once while resting all 5 starters.

I agree again - but I will soon disagree probably as I have a tendency to do. I really like the idea of moving Arroyo and Garrity if we could get a decent big even with a draft pick. I would only want to let JJ go if we were getting a really good player in return otherwise I don't think we would need to give him up.

quote:
Originally posted by Knappy:

Interesting analysis and good comments. I agree with your analysis - I don't want to see Garrity out there for those kind of minutes and I agree you keep him to 5 to 8 minutes or less and I think you need to get Ariza out there for 25 minutes - maybe SVG just doesn't know what he has yet in Ariza and Garrity - one being good and one being bad - he hasn't figured that out yet.

I have to admit I was shocked to see Garrity play so much and Ariza so little. Especially considering we needed rebounding help (an Ariza specialty) and Garrity was struggling with his shot.

Were they showcasing Garrity?? The thing is I don't want to find a long term solution to a temporary problem. Battie will be back, Augie and Gortat will have another year and Otis will make his best pitch at Fran finally coming over.

I would prefer to wait on the injury exception and try to go after C-Webb, Brown or Jackie Butler.

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

quote:

I really like the idea of moving Arroyo...

really? I wouldn't have imagined that...lol

Maybe I can start a little controversy here. I just think Arroyo brings a similar game to the Magic that Nelson does with the same limitation being size. I think Nelson is a better player -I think Arroyo can play, but I don't think he is as good as Nelson and I don't get excited about him leading our team.

Other than his huge fan base I don't know how much he helps - I mean he helps, but I think Dooling can fill the backup PG role and he brings us a defensive dimension and some size that Jameer and Arroyo don't have. Moving Arroyo could help us fill some holes that we have. If we didn't have those holes we could look at keeping Arroyo (the Magic will probably keep him anyways), but I think we are thin with bigs and he could help us fill a need. I don't know if the Magic would be able to resign Arroyo next year as a backup - he won't be happy with it and he'll want more money than what the Magic will probably offer.

We need a big and I don't see the Magic ponying up $4m + for Arroyo next year so why don't we try to get something for him now when we need a big. We can probably get a vet PG at the league minimum as a backup. I know many will disagree, but a lot of those are Arroyo fans. If Nelson gets hurt then I'll want Arroyo and injuries are always possible. Moving Arroyo would make us thin at PG and we would have to pick someone up. As long as Jameer is ok we would be ok.

And, I am ok with keeping Arroyo as a backup because I think he can play. I just don't think we'll keep him next year and he has trade value. It is tough to put Jameer and Carlos out there together because of the size we lose, but I think we might see it a bit.

Carlos was also probably affected last night by Jameer's agreement - a clear signal to Carlos the direction being taken by the franchise - I just don't see Carlos satisfied as a backup.

This is not meant to be a Carlos bashing - I just agree with Smack that he is expendable and has possible trade value and a need could be met for the Magic shoring up a thin front line.

Lets also not forget that some of the best basketball the team played last year was toward the end of the season when Dooling was getting the lions share of minutes as the backup PG.

Of course, then Arroyo cried in the papers and was moved back into that role for the playoffs.

I like how Knappy said it though. Dooling brings a different dimension to the position that neither Arroyo or Jameer can. Meanwhile this same dimension can be fulfilled by both Bogans & Ariza at the 2 spot.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

if we put him on the market...i promise you, every title contender will try to get him. because(answering your question too emory), at the end of the game, when the other team is over the limit and looking to foul...who would you pass the ball in to? think about it smack. you are underrating jj hardcore. he has a niche, and would be a number 1 sub for many teams. go through some video of championship teams and see who gets put on the line at the end of the games...steve kerr? derek fisher? brent barry? all 80%+ free throw shooters that arent exactly all around players. do some research, instead of using bias.

I'm biased? Why don't you do some research and put a tad bit of thought into your posts. At the end of a close game, you really think JJ is worht not having a PF, just so we can get JJ to the free throw line? You think Jameer, Shard, Turk, aren't plenty capable of hitting free throws?

FYI, they're all better than 80% free throw shooters.

There is no way in he11 that you pay JJ 2 million per season to hit free throws a couple games a year. Especially when you have a gaping hole in your frontcourt that can't be filled without a trade, even by a resurgent Pat Garrity.

i like turk, but no...jameer's shooting is streaky at best. shard is a good freethrow shooter, but not as good as jj, who is a career 90% shooter from the line. and, he can hit the three better too. besides, even though i loved shard last night, he is likely to miss some amount of games every season due to injury. and it will be nice to have a sharpshooter step in. especially one that scraps and has the IQ necessary to stay relevant in a game that is dominated by more athletic people. he will make his worth known. what kind of pf would you expect to get for jj? you really think he would fit the team better? unless if he is a 90% shooter from the stripe and a 40% shooter from beyond the arc, we are taking two steps back and only one step forward, which would be rebounding(hopefully).

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

quote:

I really like the idea of moving Arroyo...

really? I wouldn't have imagined that...lol

Maybe I can start a little controversy here.

not from me...I can care less....all the arguments good or bad will end up in nothing...

but you see how I trimmed the quote down?...I'm just messing with you....

i know i dont need to say this, you can just go back to the preseason stats, but jj contributes beyond free throws smack...its just where he will excel in situations with playoff implications...that and the ability to hit 3's with his eyes shut.