Sign in to follow this  
FanSince1990

Can JJ be a point guard?

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

JJ struggled with his ballhandling at Duke. Late in games Duke would spread the floor and give the ball to JJ because of his great free throw shooting ability. JJ did ok in this position but if a good defensive guard started pressuring him he turned the ball over more times than not. I guarantee he would struggle at this level against superior athletes.

As it has been said before just because he is a little smaller and can shoot doesn't mean he can play PG. He isn't quick enough off the dribble to break pressure and his ball handling isn't good enough either.

Notice that I thought this was an idea that could be tried, and I put forth a few reasons why it could make sense.

Now you and others here are talking like you guys know for sure it won't work! Part of the psychic friends network? Have a crystal ball?

Until coach tries this (fat chance Brian Hill will do it), we simply do not know how it would work. Nobody knows.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Undisputed4:

Its not hard to be a point guard in the NBA. No one really presses.

But his talent that got him here is his scoring.

Thats only because most PG's are very good at breaking pressure and it compromises the defense if the pressure is broken. If opposing coaches sense weakness in the guards handling ability they will release the hounds I assure you. I don't know if you've noticed or not but Diener gets pressured all the time when he's in the game.

Good point. Although i havent really seen Diener play.

Pressured? (I have seen him play and I havent seen that). Nelson gets pressured into turning the ball over enough times, and Arroyo into taking shots outside the flow of the offense, so what'd be the difference?

If he got "pressured" is because the opposing coach knows he's basically a rookie, since he rarely plays.

quote:
If he got "pressured" is because the opposing coach knows he's basically a rookie, since he rarely plays.

Whether he played or not, he'd still be "a rookie." Technically at least.

I just don't see JJ having the ball handling ability to bring the ball into the front court. I really like JJ but, as a pure shooter, he fits into a very small niche in the NBA and I think he's best suited to play off the ball. The best thing JJ can do for this team is hold other teams accountable for a shooter, where anytime they leave him open, he makes them pay. He doesn't have to bring the ball up the court for that to happen. He also does not need to start for that to happen.

It's hard to tell by listening to the game on internet, but on another board, someone said JJ played a little PG during the game against Dallas and seemed to do very well. It seemed to be only a play or two but is it possible Hill is trying him out in that position?

quote:
It's hard to tell by listening to the game on internet, but on another board, someone said JJ played a little PG during the game against Dallas and seemed to do very well. It seemed to be only a play or two but is it possible Hill is trying him out in that position?

Putting anywhere else at PG other than Jameer would've been the only smart thing Brian Hill ever did BUT, we know that won't happen.

Don't believe it, I saw the game and it was only a few posessions including one where JJ distributed the ball nicely, and gave an assist to Jameer for a 3-point shot (one would've thought it'd be the other way around!). It probably made people talk (my idea is not really as crazy as some here imagine).

quote:
Don't believe it, I saw the game and it was only a few posessions including one where JJ distributed the ball nicely, and gave an assist to Jameer for a 3-point shot (one would've thought it'd be the other way around!).

Interesting. Didn't see the game. Don't know if its an idea that I like but its got to be encouraging since it would be the first demonstration that Bhill is even capable of thinking outside the box.

quote:
Originally posted by FanSince1990:

quote:

JJ struggled with his ballhandling at Duke. Late in games Duke would spread the floor and give the ball to JJ because of his great free throw shooting ability. JJ did ok in this position but if a good defensive guard started pressuring him he turned the ball over more times than not. I guarantee he would struggle at this level against superior athletes.

As it has been said before just because he is a little smaller and can shoot doesn't mean he can play PG. He isn't quick enough off the dribble to break pressure and his ball handling isn't good enough either.

Notice that I thought this was an idea that could be tried, and I put forth a few reasons why it could make sense.

Now you and others here are talking like you guys know for sure it won't work! Part of the psychic friends network? Have a crystal ball?

Until coach tries this (fat chance Brian Hill will do it), we simply do not know how it would work. Nobody knows.

I don't need a crystal ball to know that Redick would struggle at the PG position. I saw him play limited point guard at Duke and it didn't work. He doesn't possess the ball handling ability or the speed to break pressure defenses and set up a offense. If he struggled with it at the college level he will struggle with it at the NBA level.

You're right though it hasn't been tried yet so no one knows if it would work. We haven't tried Keith Bogans at the PG yet either maybe he's the answer to our PG problems. Hopefully that's enough sarcasm to realize how ridiculous that comment is.

quote:
Originally posted by FanSince1990:

quote:

Putting anywhere else at PG other than Jameer would've been the only smart thing Brian Hill ever did BUT, we know that won't happen.

Don't believe it, I saw the game and it was only a few posessions including one where JJ distributed the ball nicely, and gave an assist to Jameer for a 3-point shot (one would've thought it'd be the other way around!). It probably made people talk (my idea is not really as crazy as some here imagine).

JJ making one assist to Jameer doesn't mean he should be playing PG. Are you sure you watch basketball? I feel like screaming duh at you for even having to tell you that.

quote:
You're right though it hasn't been tried yet so no one knows if it would work. We haven't tried Keith Bogans at the PG yet either maybe he's the answer to our PG problems. Hopefully that's enough sarcasm to realize how ridiculous that comment is.

While we're at it, Augustine could be the answer at point guard....we never tried it! It could work!

OR Darko he's shown improvement over the last several weeks. I mean, it may be a rocky beginning but Darko's SHOWN us that given a little playing time he can learn a position. Maybe he'll be the next Dirk! With BETTER handle! AND a better jumpshot!

Or we could just run Grant Hill as point forward as he's done before and watch him play less of a role in the scoring and more of a leadership role where he excels. It could work. Realistically Grant Hill is the headiest player on the team and he's made some pretty clever passes this year. The reliability issue would arise, though, when Hill had to sit 1 in 5 games.

Let's just draft a point guard.