Sign in to follow this  
mepot

Brighthouse/FSN Thread

Any input on Dish Network vs Direct TV? Quality?

Its going to cost me 3-400 startup with Direct TV (HD DVR's) and Dish Network has everything included. Just wanted to make sure before going with DN.

Thanks and Go Magic!

Scott

I had DirectTV installed three weeks ago and I will never go back to cable. Besides FSN (which was my reason for switching) the HD quality and equipment puts Brighthouse to shame, more and better channels and I am even saving a few bucks.

I was a Time Warner/Brighthouse customer for 20 years plus and while I still have Road Runner, Brighthouse couldn't pay me to go back even if they did add FSN. Simply put, the "dish" puts cable to shame.

Addressing the recent posts by WPMagic, Jareth, D-Guy, SKirk, and Brutalfacts....

It sounds like several of you are pleased with DirecTV and you also have the HD-DVR. Not sure how many of you saw my thread in the off topic section about this issue...

http://orlandomagiczone.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1511015081/m/9401051264

I am needing input on how the HD-DVR service is....

WP and Brutalfacts, it sounds like your situations are similar to mine. If you can give me some more input, I might be willing to do it. But I second SKirk's question about Dish vs. DirecTV. Having to pay 300 bucks to rent an HD-DVR box doesn't appeal to me.

I don't have satellite because of the trees in my backyard, but my friends have it. I know what you're talking about with your brighthouse hd-dvr. My hd dvr from comcast does the same thing for switching from hd to sd channels, it usually is only like a second or two.

I definitely get blue screens when I change from dvr to hd(usually because it's changing from HD to standard definition tv), but it is no longer than 2 maybe 3 seconds as well.

As far as what I've heard/seen/experienced with my friend's HD dvr direct tv setup. LOTS of HD channels, I mean a ton. Cable should be ashamed. Around the same price I pay for 20 or so HD channels and they get like 80 HD channels(along with a crapton of channels I don't really care for). Granted they do have on problem, 4% of florida direct tv users cannot get local channels in HD(abc, nbc, cbs, fox) and they just happen to be in that 4%. Other than that their dvr seems to hold more than my comcast box but functions just fine. So the only thing I have on them is I get to watch the bucs in HD and they don't. A small victory...

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

Addressing the recent posts by WPMagic, Jareth, D-Guy, SKirk, and Brutalfacts....

It sounds like several of you are pleased with DirecTV and you also have the HD-DVR. Not sure how many of you saw my thread in the off topic section about this issue...

http://orlandomagiczone.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1511015081/m/9401051264

I am needing input on how the HD-DVR service is....

WP and Brutalfacts, it sounds like your situations are similar to mine. If you can give me some more input, I might be willing to do it. But I second SKirk's question about Dish vs. DirecTV. Having to pay 300 bucks to rent an HD-DVR box doesn't appeal to me.

Alright LoD, here is what I know.

I'm a Tivo guy. I love it, and the Bright House DVR was nothing close to it. It loaded slowly, looked crappy (the interface and box itself), and only kept one week worth of program info.

The DirectTV DVR isn't Tivo either, but it's a hell of a lot closer. It keeps program info for at least two weeks in advance, is scary fast to load and work, and looks badass (both the interface and the box itself).

I paid $199 for the DirectTV DVR. Yeah, that is pretty expensive, but I made a mistake. When I called and got DirectTV I did not try to haggle them for a better price. LoD, if you call them up and tell them you are interested in switching from cable, but can't justify the price of the DVR, I guarantee they will be willing to throw some deals at you to get you to switch.

When I made the switch, they installed everything the next day, and this is what I got.

-One HD DVR for $199

-Two standard receivers for $4.99 each a month ($10.00) total

-All the HBO's, Max, and Starz free for 3 months

-All the XM radio stations... Way better than Music Choice

-All the local channels

-FSN!!!

-The NFL Network (even though I don't watch it, much less know what channel it is, but I know some of you actually like the NFL)

-Many, many more HD channels like CNN HD and others.

My bill looks like this:

49.99 for all the channels

10.00 for the two standard boxes

-----

5.00 Taxes...

-----

65.00 For all of the above

45.00 - I kept Bright House's internet because there isn't a faster OR better priced option, even though it is pretty slow in our area because of the high volume of usage.

-----

Now, before, when I had Bright House, I was paying something like 125.00 for the total package, so I am actually saving 15.00. This deal, however, only lasts for one year. After one year, the 49.99 package goes up 20.00 to 69.99 a month. So, when all is said and done, I'll be paying 5 to 10 dollars a month for DirectTV... But it's worth it!

well the prob. for me is that i have 5 rooms with tv's so i need 5 recievers and and because satellite bandwidth is low i would need like 3 satellite dishes so four now i have to stay with bright house . i hope all you guys enjoy watching all the magic games.

You don't have to buy receivers. You can just rent them for around 10-15 a month each. I know you end up paying more but you can upgrade to different stuff later on.

What about satellite HD quality? What's this about "down-rezzing"?

And if it rains? Sat-lovers seem to say it's never a problem but then I go to their house and it's a problem.

I'd like to get sat but.....