Sign in to follow this  
mepot

Brighthouse/FSN Thread

We have to stay on these people still the issue is resolved. I know with last week being opening week they took ALOT of heat and hopefully people will continue to put the heat on them. I don't want any of the 3 involved falling into a sense of complacency and think that we the fans are just going to give up.

I intend on continuing my full fledged pestering until they get me FSN.

In Tampa we have FSN and the guide indicated that the game was going to be on, but we ended up with a football preview on Friday night and CO vs. Mizzou on Saturday. I wrote bright hose and they replied apologizing for this and indicating that it was FSN's choice not to show the game. They gave me FSN's number so I can call them, which I intend to do. - 954-832-9555. Give them a call too.

I called FSN...and they, of course, blame the corporates at Brighthouse. The guy actually suggested I go to a local bar and watch the games. And, to be happy with the 42 games in Sun Sports...

The Orlando Magic started all of this by agreeing to show half the games on FSN Florida. They knew full well at the time that Bright House (75% of the Orlando cable market) did NOT carry this station. Months went by and nothing was agreed upon.

Alex Martins needs to be fired, plain and simple. This is a digrace to the franchise, and to every Magic fan who has Bright House cable.

This is the answer I got from Anez, after I emailed him yesterday:

Hey Dana...

Thanks for the email...

Ouch...hurtful words!

I have said many times all parties involved are to blame here...The

Magic for not seeing the future...FSN for not having better relations

with Brighthouse...and Brighthouse for failing to answer the questions..

Tomorrow night (Tues) on Inside Magic from 6-7:30, I plan on having all

the parties involved on the program to explain what the heck is going on

here...Hope you'll tune in and I hope the public forum puts the heat on

all of them...

Only thing I can continue to do is to try to put public pressure on all

parites to get this done...It's ridiculous that fans like you are

continually caught in the middle...

sa

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 7:37 AM

To: Anez, Scott (CXR-Orlando)

Subject: Why???

Dear Scott: Can you reasonably explain why the Magic ownership, sold the

Magic games without taking into consideration that almost the entire

Central Florida Magic fans won't be able to watch our team????

This is embarrasing, don't you think? And I know you will find a way to

justify this, and putting the blame on somebody else, and not the Magic,

as usual.

DANA R. RIVERA

Just spoke to Brighthose Tampa as well as a phone call to FSN.

Brighthose told me that FSN was demanding a $12 hit from every customer in the region if they bought the games. Brighthouse told them to hit the road. The rep from Brighthose informed me this happend with Sunsports and the Lightning a year or 2 ago and SunSports was demanding alot of money. Sometime did go by and they reached a agreement for A LOT less money.

I then called FSN programming department to bark.

The very sexy cute girl voice made it hard to me to yell at her so i was forced to talk nice just because she sounded so sexy. She told me they were working really hard because they want the deal to happend more than we do. They are losing money every game they are not getting a deal done. She was very hopeful the deal would get done and they the affiliates are metting every hour on the hour about the situation.

As many of you know I have been trying to give you details about the discussions between all parties involved. I am taking the info I am getting and trying to read between the lines a little. This is where each party is at:

Brighthouse - is asking FSN to price there per subscriber cost to that of SUN which is about one third of what they are asking for now. They are not flexible to anymore negotiations above that cost. In fact Brighthouse feels that this issue has already cost them customers and revenue, sort of a damaged already done type of deal. In fact there is some talk that the Brighthouse offer as an expiration timeframe, but I am not sure of that detail. (My source on this is very good)

COX and others

Very good post, ThefutureGM. I appreciate your take on the issues with some "insider" information, which mostly rings true. A couple of areas that I have questions about, though:

1) FSN right now is losing the most money in the short term. I have no idea how the money breaks down, but if most of their revenue comes from advertising, you'd think they might be a bit flexible on how much they charge Brighthouse to put the games on. Again however, it depends how the revenue breaks down and I have no information myself along those lines.

2) I disagree about the Magic sitting on the sidelines feeling comfortable while this goes on. They lose in many ways, IMO. First, tens of thousands of fan and potential fans don't get to see the games. This is true even if home attendance goes up a couple of thousand. Overall impact is to damage the fan base. Second, TV revenue is a big part of sports these days and anything that lowers the TV audience damages that revenue stream. Third, FSN may have paid plenty for the TV rights this year, but who will pay in the future if this drags on? Business is about planning for the future too, not just about making a quick buck, especially for solid organizations like pro sports teams.

I think there is already a level of apathy developing in Orlando about the Magic, as most people have not been able to see the first three games. People who might have watched the games on TV will get in the habit of doing something else for relaxation. It will be difficult to get them back.

This is the response that I got from Brighthouse....

Hello Mr. Perez,

We are currently having discussions with FOX Sports Net and would sincerely like to provide this programming for our customers. We will still televise more than half of the Magic's 82 regular-season games on Sun Sports, ESPN, ABC, TNT, and NBA TV.

Thank you for taking the time to communicate with us regarding your programming preference; I will share your message with our decision makers.

Originally posted by Drain-O:

quote:
This is the response that I got from Brighthouse....

Hello Mr. Perez,

We are currently having discussions with FOX Sports Net and would sincerely like to provide this programming for our customers. We will still televise more than half of the Magic's 82 regular-season games on Sun Sports, ESPN, ABC, TNT, and NBA TV.

Thank you for taking the time to communicate with us regarding your programming preference; I will share your message with our decision makers.

Translation:

"Be happy with what you have, please stop bugging us. Thank you."

Love,

Bright House.

quote:
Originally posted by JJZ:

Very good post, ThefutureGM. I appreciate you're take on the issues with some "insider" information, which mostly rings true. A couple of areas that I have questions about, though:

1) FSN right now is losing the most money in the short term. I have no idea how the money breaks down, but if most of their revenue comes from advertising, you'd think they might be a bit flexible on how much they charge the Magic to put the games on. Again however, it depends how the revenue breaks down and I have no information myself along those lines.

2) I disagree about the Magic sitting on the sidelines feeling comfortable while this goes on. They lose in many ways, IMO. First, tens of thousands of fan and potential fans don't get to see the games. This is true even if home attendance goes up a couple of thousand. Overall impact is to damage the fan base. Second, TV revenue is a big part of sports these days and anything that lowers the TV audience damages that revenue stream. Third, FSN may have paid plenty for the TV rights this year, but who will pay in the future if this drags on? Business is about planning for the future too, not just about making a quick buck, especially for solid organizations like pro sports teams.

I think there is already a level of apathy developing in Orlando about the Magic, as most people have not been able to see the first three games. People who might have watched the games on TV will get in the habit of doing something else for relaxation. It will be difficult to get them back.

FSN is looseing revenue but for them the future of FSN as a sports channel on basic cable is far more important then losses right now. Are the Magic really lossing money here. They already have the cash from TV deal so they don't make any money on advertising because FSN makes that cash. Like I said FSN will be the next to make a move one way or another

This is just getting ridiculous, Comcast is screwing us just as much as brighthouse. Can this thread please be updated to include those of us with Cox/Comcast who are getting the short end of the stick as well?