Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Is Vince the man we need? Nets blog trashes his game and discusses his free agency.

Found this while surfing the net. It's a question and answer with Nets beat writer for the Newark Star Ledger, Dave D'Alessandro. Here's a sampling of the questions:

quote:
Hey, Dave: Does Frank tell VC to try to get to the line or attack the rim? The reason I asked is, even when he has bad shooting games he doesn't even try to get to the line. I'm not saying he doesn't attack it if he sees a opening, but it's like he's trying to avoid contact when he gets there. And when there is contact, it's usually incidental - it's nothing he initiates. He doesn't even try to pump fake and initiate contact by jumping into his defender if they bite. He doesn't seem to want to throw his body around. Other elite swingmen bulldoze guys and make the refs make a call. Its RJ's bread and butter.

Jackson

Jackson: If Vince had a nickel for every time he's told to stop lobbing a shot up, over, and around people, he wouldn't need a new contract. Yes, they want him to power the ball more. They want him to stop trying for style points and looking artsy. And I have it on good authority that the last time someone high up offered this advice, he turned to a teammate standing next to him and muttered, "Messing with my game again - this guy's telling me what kind of shots I should take now." So, there you go. I, for one, think he's getting better - he made some fantastic finishes under great pressure against New Orleans and the Clips late in the game that they had to have, mostly by quick-driving it and finessing it past a big. And before he felt that need to exert himself, he was playing very intelligently in the fourth period. But the issue of bending metal is ongoing, yes.

quote:
Double-D: Why all the VC bashing this year? Not just from you, from everybody.

Brian C.

BC: I guess people just expected more. Here's the point: It's crunch time, and that's when the stars come out. Shaq has raised his game. Kobe has raised his game. LeBron has really raised his game. Dirk and Nash have already been somewhere in the stratosphere and can go no higher, but Amare and Jason Terry have certainly raised their games. Ben Wallace is at his best. Ginobili has raised his game. So answer this question: Where is Carter right now? He was shooting .369 in his last nine games before that 10-for-20 against the Clippers. He's averaging 20.2 points this month. That's not going to get it done, and yes, he knows it.

quote:
Hi, Dave: What exactly are our options again when Vince opts out? You were a little vague last week.

Tom T.

TT: Intentionally so, because this thing has to play out. For example, under ordinary circumstances, he would opt out. That's a no-brainer: Someone -- whether it be the Nets or Charlotte - has to give him that long-term deal in the $50-60 million range, one that will take him into his gentle years. But the divorce changes everything. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here: In many cases, the spouse typically receives not only half his possessions, but half of all future earnings. That would complicate his attorney's game plan, as he would undoubtedly want to settle on a hard number before Vince signs a new deal, or that $50-60M comes into play. Ergo, Carter wants to put off his next contract for as long as it takes to settle the divorce, and might not opt-out at all this summer if they haven't settled. I assume this is why he's been told to zip it all along - so as not to inform the, uh, opposition of his next move. We could use some input here from a lawyer who knows Florida divorce law, but then, just talking about it makes me feel slimy.

I feel like I've been snooping in my neighbor's yard and uncovered something that's none of my business.(lol)

Anyway, here's my take.

You guys know I'm as big a Carter fan as anybody. Just thought you guys would find it interesting what the Nets are saying about Vince in a blog situation. We all know from reading our own local blogs that writer's tend to be a little more open with their opinion's and feel a little more free to speak the truth in that environment.

As you can see it's not very complimentary.

Also, anyone that understands Florida law and divorce proceedings as the question adresses if you could shed some light on it for us all I would be very appreciative.

Here's the link if you guys want to snoop around some more.

http://blog.nj.com/netsblast/

Found this while surfing the net. It's a question and answer with Nets beat writer for the Newark Star Ledger, Dave D'Alessandro. Here's a sampling of the questions:

quote:
Hey, Dave: Does Frank tell VC to try to get to the line or attack the rim? The reason I asked is, even when he has bad shooting games he doesn't even try to get to the line. I'm not saying he doesn't attack it if he sees a opening, but it's like he's trying to avoid contact when he gets there. And when there is contact, it's usually incidental - it's nothing he initiates. He doesn't even try to pump fake and initiate contact by jumping into his defender if they bite. He doesn't seem to want to throw his body around. Other elite swingmen bulldoze guys and make the refs make a call. Its RJ's bread and butter.

Jackson

Jackson: If Vince had a nickel for every time he's told to stop lobbing a shot up, over, and around people, he wouldn't need a new contract. Yes, they want him to power the ball more. They want him to stop trying for style points and looking artsy. And I have it on good authority that the last time someone high up offered this advice, he turned to a teammate standing next to him and muttered, "Messing with my game again - this guy's telling me what kind of shots I should take now." So, there you go. I, for one, think he's getting better - he made some fantastic finishes under great pressure against New Orleans and the Clips late in the game that they had to have, mostly by quick-driving it and finessing it past a big. And before he felt that need to exert himself, he was playing very intelligently in the fourth period. But the issue of bending metal is ongoing, yes.

quote:
Double-D: Why all the VC bashing this year? Not just from you, from everybody.

Brian C.

BC: I guess people just expected more. Here's the point: It's crunch time, and that's when the stars come out. Shaq has raised his game. Kobe has raised his game. LeBron has really raised his game. Dirk and Nash have already been somewhere in the stratosphere and can go no higher, but Amare and Jason Terry have certainly raised their games. Ben Wallace is at his best. Ginobili has raised his game. So answer this question: Where is Carter right now? He was shooting .369 in his last nine games before that 10-for-20 against the Clippers. He's averaging 20.2 points this month. That's not going to get it done, and yes, he knows it.

quote:
Hi, Dave: What exactly are our options again when Vince opts out? You were a little vague last week.

Tom T.

TT: Intentionally so, because this thing has to play out. For example, under ordinary circumstances, he would opt out. That's a no-brainer: Someone -- whether it be the Nets or Charlotte - has to give him that long-term deal in the $50-60 million range, one that will take him into his gentle years. But the divorce changes everything. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here: In many cases, the spouse typically receives not only half his possessions, but half of all future earnings. That would complicate his attorney's game plan, as he would undoubtedly want to settle on a hard number before Vince signs a new deal, or that $50-60M comes into play. Ergo, Carter wants to put off his next contract for as long as it takes to settle the divorce, and might not opt-out at all this summer if they haven't settled. I assume this is why he's been told to zip it all along - so as not to inform the, uh, opposition of his next move. We could use some input here from a lawyer who knows Florida divorce law, but then, just talking about it makes me feel slimy.

I feel like I've been snooping in my neighbor's yard and uncovered something that's none of my business.(lol)

Anyway, here's my take.

You guys know I'm as big a Carter fan as anybody. Just thought you guys would find it interesting what the Nets are saying about Vince in a blog situation. We all know from reading our own local blogs that writer's tend to be a little more open with their opinion's and feel a little more free to speak the truth in that environment.

As you can see it's not very complimentary.

Also, anyone that understands Florida law and divorce proceedings as the question adresses if you could shed some light on it for us all I would be very appreciative.

Here's the link if you guys want to snoop around some more.

http://blog.nj.com/netsblast/

Interesting stuff! Typical NY media to beat up on the only guy keeping them in playoff hunt.

The divorce implications may be something or nothing. A lot may depend on whether he got a pre-nup signed. I guess we will find out this summer!