Sign in to follow this  
MilitaryMagic

Steve Blake vs. Vince Carter

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

We're not paying Jameer all that money to come off the bench. This franchise is banking on Jameer to be the pg for this team a long time. And getting Blake makes absolutely no sense because we already have a guard that can do everything he can, Travis Diener.

What do you mean when you say "all that money"? Jameer makes $1.2 mil this season and there is no guarantee that we extend him. Heck, management has been saying the opposite lately.

Bleh, I hate Travis Diener if solely because folks on this board reference him. The dude could be an absolutely miserable NBA pg or he might be a decent player in the NBA, but NOBODY KNOWS. All we know is that he's short, not athletic, and he can score his @$$ off in the summer league. I mean, come on, he's an unknown commodity!

Ghost of Gabe: OP?

MPG 21.8

FG% .399

3P% .371

FT% .772

APG 3.5

SPG .6

PPG 6.3

Those are Steve Blake's career numbers. Is that suppose to be the answer for this team? You say Diener is unproven, but what exactly has Steve Blake done in his career? He's been buried on the bench his entire career on BAD teams. The only reason he starts in Denver is because they need someone who won't shoot at all because they Have AI and Carmello.

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

quote:

We're not paying Jameer all that money to come off the bench. This franchise is banking on Jameer to be the pg for this team a long time. And getting Blake makes absolutely no sense because we already have a guard that can do everything he can, Travis Diener.

What do you mean when you say "all that money"? Jameer makes $1.2 mil this season and there is no guarantee that we extend him. Heck, management has been saying the opposite lately.

Bleh, I hate Travis Diener if solely because folks on this board reference him. The dude could be an absolutely miserable NBA pg or he might be a decent player in the NBA, but NOBODY KNOWS. All we know is that he's short, not athletic, and he can score his @$$ off in the summer league. I mean, come on, he's an unknown commodity!

Ghost of Gabe: OP?

Original Poster

quote:

MPG 21.8

FG% .399

3P% .371

FT% .772

APG 3.5

SPG .6

PPG 6.3

Those are Steve Blake's career numbers. Is that suppose to be the answer for this team? You say Diener is unproven, but what exactly has Steve Blake done in his career? He's been buried on the bench his entire career on BAD teams. The only reason he starts in Denver is because they need someone who won't shoot at all because they Have AI and Carmello.

Prorated stats per game for teams that averaged him over 20mpg:

MPG 25.2

FGA 7.18

FG% .432

3P% .384

FT% .771

APG 5.2

RPG 2.2

SPG .8

TO 1.5

PPG 8.3

Might I note, that's a 3.5 Ast/TO ratio. I suppose if we average Diener 25 minutes a game he might approach those numbers on 7 field goals attempts per game, but your argument that Steve Blake is garbage is mostly founded on his first two seasons w/ Washington and a miserable stay at Milwaukee. When he gets utilized, he plays well.

quote:

I didn't say he's garbage, I'm saying the guards we already have are better than him.

I shrug in your general direction. We don't have any guards that are comparable to him.

I'm watching him playing against NJ right now, he isn't flashy, he just does what he is supposed to, he moves the ball around. Looks like he may have put some weight on also.

If our PG's are not going to work, I don't see why he wouldn't be a decent pick up. I'm not sure about Mo Williams (as Undisputed4 mentioned) he can score but does he move the ball that well? He may end up costing more than a guy like Blake would.