quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Tim Povtak was on 740 the team this morning for Keep N Score and was very adamant that this team will be shopping for a new starting PG this summer.

He said Carlos is done with this team and that the only reason he was not demoted earlier was because of his fanbase. Says he will likely be traded this summer.

Also said that Jameer will likely not get an extension this summer. They will let him become a restricted free agent next year instead and let him leave if he does not shape up.

Sounds like the team is using the media to send a message to Jameer.

If I not mistaken bhnole, Otis had a long talk with him prior to this announcement. I think it was on the flight back from the last away game. But I agree, they shouldn't make those statements until after the fat lady sings, not when we a chasing N.J and NYK's for the playoffs.

Yea, well Jameer shouldn't have been having his agent talk up contract extensions in the middle of February when he was playing the absolute worst basketball of his career and while his team was free-falling out of the playoffs.

Jameer = Douchebag.

Jameer is not a db and that is taking it to far. It is up to every sports agent to maximize their dollars for their client. What do you want him to say. The agent is not going to say yea Jameer has sucked this year so do not worry about a contract I will not even bother you. Its not like he came out and said he could not feed his family ala Sprewell. As for the new starting point guard that is great news but beyond Billups who is out there??

What do I want him to say? How about NOTHING.

It's totally inappropriate to be haggling contracts when the team he's supposed to be leading is in a full-on free-fall. Am I wrong?

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Tim Povtak was on 740 the team this morning for Keep N Score and was very adamant that this team will be shopping for a new starting PG this summer.

He said Carlos is done with this team and that the only reason he was not demoted earlier was because of his fanbase. Says he will likely be traded this summer.

Also said that Jameer will likely not get an extension this summer. They will let him become a restricted free agent next year instead and let him leave if he does not shape up.

Sounds like the team is using the media to send a message to Jameer.

Military, I am tring to figure out which post you were responding to here??? Mine bhnoles or both??

Yea, well Jameer shouldn't have been having his agent talk up contract extensions in the middle of February when he was playing the absolute worst basketball of his career and while his team was free-falling out of the playoffs.

Jameer = Douchebag.

Sorry I did not make it clear...

I was responding to your statement that Otis shouldn't be calling Jameer out untilt the fat lady sings, i.e. that Otis shouldn't be calling Jameer out at a time like this.

I think Jameer deserves what's coming to him, ESPECIALLY considering Jameer had his agent start haggling contracts during the worst part of our season.

Let me clearify my position here, I really don't care if they resign Jameer or not, if it is a matter fact, you can send 70% of this squad packing and I would sleep well!! It is my position that negotiations done via the news media is in bad taste, by either party! If that was the case, I would love for the Magic and Brian Hill to discuss his terms, but that is not the case, and as much as I disagree with BHill as coach "YES", even that would be in bad taste!! Somebody needs to take the high road!!

quote:

Let me clearify my position here, I really don't care if they resign Jameer or not, if it is a matter fact, you can send 70% of this squad packing and I would sleep well!! It is my position that negotiations done via the news media is in bad taste, by either party! If that was the case, I would love for the Magic and Brian Hill to discuss his terms, but that is not the case, and as much as I disagree with BHill as coach "YES", even that would be in bad taste!! Somebody needs to take the high road!!

I think you're right... to a degree. If this is the first path of action for the Magic, it's a mistake. Considering the Magic's whole "commitment" company line, they ought to take the high road through all of this. I didn't really consider how disappointing it is to see Magic management treat their players like the Heat or Lakers would by doing this publicly. I always like to think the Magic are the "good guys", yknow? It is sad.

However, if Magic management has already challenged Jameer privately (and Jameer has definitely NOT responded if this is the case), then I believe going through the media may be the only effective route. Jameer is a tough nut and may not be responsive until his manhood / game are challenged publicly.

quote:

Sorry I did not make it clear...

I was responding to your statement that Otis shouldn't be calling Jameer out untilt the fat lady sings, i.e. that Otis shouldn't be calling Jameer out at a time like this.

I think Jameer deserves what's coming to him, ESPECIALLY considering Jameer had his agent start haggling contracts during the worst part of our season.

O.K. I understand what you are saying, but you mis understood what I stated to bhnole. My statement was that Otis' told him(Jameer) in private that the extension was probably not going to happen, a few weeks ago. It was when Schmitz blogged that point on his site. Now my point is still the same, I think it is an excercise in poor judgement and bad taste when both team and players use the media to address their contractual issues. It adds a certain amount of pollution to what should be a very clean environment! I have always supported the Magics position on not discussing contracts.

I get ya, I've just got myself all worked up right now. I'm burning up w/ Jameer, I can't even stand watching him on the court anymore.

I wish I could go to a Magic game with a couple revolvers, all Yosemite Sam style, and start shooting at Jameer's feet to get his butt in gear. It drives me NUTS watching him gait up the court and hold the ball above the 3pt line, "examining" the court with his amazing court vision (laugh) while the other players are holding their hands out, practically BEGGING Jameer to pass the ball. ARGH!

quote:

quote:

I think you're right... to a degree. If this is the first path of action for the Magic, it's a mistake. Considering the Magic's whole "commitment" company line, they ought to take the high road through all of this. I didn't really consider how disappointing it is to see Magic management treat their players like the Heat or Lakers would by doing this publicly. I always like to think the Magic are the "good guys", yknow? It is sad.

However, if Magic management has already challenged Jameer privately (and Jameer has definitely NOT responded if this is the case), then I believe going through the media may be the only effective route. Jameer is a tough nut and may not be responsive until his manhood / game are challenged publicly.

Then would you agree, to go to the extent of challenging or calling him out in public, would effect the rest of the locker room as well, we do have a few more contracts discuss. Also, is this the way we will treat the players we are not happy with?? And is this the way we want to be viewed around the league, I mean is this the message we want to send to the FA's ???????

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

I can't believe Povtak said the Magic are gonna be shopping for a point guard.

Who and how would we get anybody decent?

That's a good question! Billups is the obvious FA out there. But hard to get unless Detroit decides to not re-sign him to save money, which is doubtful after letting Big Ben go. I don't see anyone else out there that is much of an upgrade.

Mo Williams is a FA, but he is not much of a defender either. He also is looking for a big payday. I think the Bucks re-sign him after a brief flirtation with Billups.

The Kings will be trying to trade Bibby, but he has not having an off year. Not to mention he forced his way out of Vancouver to get away from Brian Hill. I don't see a happy reunion happening there.

One guy who might be an interesting low end FA is Charlie Bell. Good defender with some size (6-3) who can shoot. Bucks have him playing backup at PG and SG. Good option if Dooling decides to opt out and go home to Miami.

Here is a list of the unrestricted pgs this offseason.

Steve Blake

Chauncey Billups

Smush Parker

Chucky Atkins

Earl Boykins

Mike Bibby (if he opts out)

There are a couple of others but those are the decent ones. That is a pretty limited list unless we make a trade. The only one on there that would be a solid contributor and might be reasonably obtainable is Steve Blake.

Of course a trade is always a possibility.

quote:

I get ya, I've just got myself all worked up right now. I'm burning up w/ Jameer, I can't even stand watching him on the court anymore.

I wish I could go to a Magic game with a couple revolvers, all Yosemite Sam style, and start shooting at Jameer's feet to get his butt in gear. It drives me NUTS watching him gait up the court and hold the ball above the 3pt line, "examining" the court with his amazing court vision (laugh) while the other players are holding their hands out, practically BEGGING Jameer to pass the ball. ARGH!

Ouch, I seen him hold the ball three times yesterday, when JJ was wide open?????? I am with you here. I will take this a step further, now that we are playing opne and are running more, Carlos was at his best when we ran, but he killed us in the slow down princeton (PRISON) offense, move him either to backup Dooling, if it means a win? A win is a win!!!

quote:

quote:

quote:

Then would you agree, to go to the extent of challenging or calling him out in public, would effect the rest of the locker room as well, we do have a few more contracts discuss. Also, is this the way we will treat the players we are not happy with?? And is this the way we want to be viewed around the league, I mean is this the message we want to send to the FA's ???????

Yes, it does effect the locker-room. It tells everyone that they are going to be held accountable to all degrees. That has both good and bad qualities.

I believe this is how you treat players that do not respond to non-public challeneges and to players that make unreasonable contract negotiations during a low point in their career. I'm assuming the Magic have been on Jameer's case for much of the year.

Would you rather we send a message that we are weak-kneed and will allow a shoot-first 24 year old undersized guard to dictate the future of our team? Do you not believe that Jameer needs to be taken down a notch or two back to reality?

EDIT: Okay, I'm being a little unfair here. Those are questions with obvious answers. You're not trying to stand up for Jameer and I feel that you're just disappointed in the Magic for taking this route and that's totally fair.