LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

The Lakers pick is top 5 protected... the 2nd round pick is top 40 protected but I ask you... Who actually cares? It's a 2nd round pick, most of them don't even make their rosters.

The conspiracy theories are getting old.

That's his MO

so if the lakers are bottom 5 its ours? or theres?

Sorry I though the Lakers got more protection on their first. Top 5 pick protection only. It would be sweet to see them hand us #6. As for second rounders they are more valuable than late firsts since the contract is not guaranteed. True they dont often make a splash but if it werent important why did the Lakers just make it unprotected. After all they got one of the top three talents in the league to build around....or so they thought.

Don't go holding your breath on that Laker's pick.

2015 first round draft pick to Phoenix

L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick to Phoenix protected for selections 1-5 in 2015, 1-3 in 2016 or 1-3 in 2017 or unprotected in 2018 [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012]

2017 first round draft pick to Orlando

If at least two years after the L.A. Lakers conveyed a 1st round pick to Phoenix, then the L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick to Orlando protected for selections 1-5 in 2017 or 1-5 in 2018 or unprotected in 2019; if the L.A. Lakers have not conveyed a 1st round pick to Phoenix by 2017, then the L.A. Lakers will instead convey their 2017 2nd round pick and 2018 2nd round pick to Orlando [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012 and then L.A. Lakers-Orlando, 8/10/2012]

We haven't really thought of this...

But what if we are offered K. Love or someone like that for our top pick?

What say you batman?

We haven't really thought of this...

But what if we are offered K. Love or someone like that for our top pick?

What say you batman?

Lets see: a pick that would currently be in the top 6 at worst for one year of a guy who's all but guaranteed to miss 25 games a year, plays absolutely no defense, and to date has never been on a team that finished with more than 31 wins.

Otis, is that you?

Lets see: a pick that would currently be in the top 6 at worst for one year of a guy who's all but guaranteed to miss 25 games a year, plays absolutely no defense, and to date has never been on a team that finished with more than 31 wins.

Otis, is that you?

Perhaps I shouldn't have used Love as the example. Point being, I believe we can expect some big offers for our pick.

Otis, is that you?

I'm with you on this one.

Love is an amazing stat-padder and everyone can post good numbers by simply getting minutes. I'm not saying he sucks, but until he at least makes the freaking playoffs I won't see him as a #1 option.

Phoenix is doing pretty good and Minnesota was supposed to be 2 times better

I'm with you on this one.

Love is an amazing stat-padder and everyone can post good numbers by simply getting minutes. I'm not saying he sucks, but until he at least makes the freaking playoffs I won't see him as a #1 option.

Phoenix is doing pretty good and Minnesota was supposed to be 2 times better

I don't buy in to this criticism. Aldridge and Griffin play just as much defense, build around Love properly and he'll take you to the finals. I feel the same way about Irving.

I don't buy in to this criticism. Aldridge and Griffin play just as much defense, build around Love properly and he'll take you to the finals. I feel the same way about Irving.

You just named two players who are both clearly the second best players on their respective teams.

So yes, I'll agree you can build around Love and make the Finals if step one of your building process is "Find a first option who's way better than Kevin Love".

Either that, or have your build plan be: "Build around one of the most overrated "stars" in NBA history by filling the rest of the team with strong defensive players, including one of the best defensive centers of all time, and then just hope they all peak the same year which happens to also be the year of a historically weak conference so you can win a conference title then get absolutely annihilated in a complete afterthought of an NBA Finals."

I mean, it DID work once before. If you call that working, anyway.

It'll be interesting to see how much we value the prospects come June. To your point, DOM, but from a different angle… how many #1 guys are in this draft? What if Henny doesn't see one when we pick? Hmmm...

Here's a scenario that's been running through my brain: what if Parker lands in our lap at #3 and we don't love him as a #1 guy? I'd assume Utah would throw the kitchen sink and their pick (#8) at us for him. Would a combo of #8 and Favors for Parker be thrown at us? Would Henny consider it?

I know I'm throwing out ideas but my point is I had not been considering the trading scenario for our top pick until today.