LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Adam Zagoria @AdamZagoria

NBA GM on Smart: 'His play & inability to lead his team to wins is affecting his stock. Not pushing some illiterate drunk redneck.'

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress

The Marcus Smart incident is unfortunate but I don't think it will play much of a role in where he gets picked. Made a bad decision. Happens

So no one is the least bit concerned that this kid can't keep his cool in a situation like that? 2012 Dwight does that, this whole board erupts into a firestorm of how much of a punk Dwight is now, and how awful a human being he is. Were I the GM, I would seriously consider how much I would want to invest in a kid who has already shown he is not above potentially sacrificing his dreams (and if playing in the NBA is NOT his dream, I wouldn't want to invest much in him anyways) just to respond to some drunk idiot who he will most likely NEVER get that close to again.

Somehow he's going to NOT respond this way in situations where there is even MORE pressure on him to perform, and perform well? That he'll be able to handle other players who now know how easy it is to get under his skin and make him do this again? Kid is going to cost his team points, and potentially games, with that attitude. Can he overcome this? Possibly. I just wouldn't be willing to give up a draft pick and millions of dollars to find out.

Oh, and his basketball skills are apparently regressing a lot, too.

Your last sentence is the only one of any relevance in my opinion. I've watched several OK State games this year and have seen numerous instances where Smart has put himself in between refs and teammates to help them avoid technicals (to the extent that I've wondered if he isn't purposefully trying to display his leadership, especially on certain nights when his play has been less than stellar).

I think its fairly incredible in this day and age that we would expect a young African American athlete not to respond, to what was more than likely a racial slur, in that situation. This isn't the 1940's, he isn't Jackie Robinson, and he should not be expected to turn the other cheek out of necessity or obligation. Did he make a mistake? Absolutely. Was his reaction warranted? More than likely. Will it effect his draft stock? I contend no more than his play has.

If this fan truly was sorry for what he said it would be great if he came forward, acknowledged HIS mistake and role in the incident, and tried to make the situation right. Of course we all know this will never happen because this guy will never admit he actually said what we all know he likely did say. He was sorry when Smart stood up and puffed on him, but there's really no incentive now is there?

I don't have to look that hard to find examples of perceived character problems hurting a players draft stock. If his draft stock is already slipping, this incident could be the deciding factor for a lot of GMs to pass on him. There have been lots of rumors that Hennigan loves Smart. Do you think there is a chance that he is re-evaluating that opinion right now?

You said Smart would drop out of the lottery which is hilarious because even with his recent struggles there are only like 5-7 guys in this year's draft who might be better than him.

I'm more concerned about the Magic WINNING GAMES!!! Thunder then Pacers!! Philly has passed us by. ATM if we don't get a top 3 pick, we are at 6 with Sacramento and Utah breathing down our necks.

I say we draft Embiid if possible the guy looks like the safest pick and we do need some size next to Vuc. Also do we have a 2nd round pick? Lot of good guys are gonna slip in this years draft

Nope, I want Wiggins

I say we draft Embiid if possible the guy looks like the safest pick and we do need some size next to Vuc. Also do we have a 2nd round pick? Lot of good guys are gonna slip in this years draft

I like Embiid a lot but we need a wing more than anything else.

No second round pick, Otis Smith traded it and last year's 2nd round pick to Cleveland for Justin Harper (thanks Otis). We do have a 2nd first round pick from the Dwight trade. It will be either the Nugget's or Knick's pick, whichever pick is worse.

You said Smart would drop out of the lottery which is hilarious because even with his recent struggles there are only like 5-7 guys in this year's draft who might be better than him.

I really haven't been that impressed with him but that is besides the point. My initial reaction was based off the assumption that he was going to get a much harsher suspension than he actually received. I still think it's something that will hurt his stock but probably not as much as I initially thought.

Me too as long as we fill that pf spot

embiid and nick can play with each other. I am not sure why people dont see that fact.