LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Teams should use there assets to allow them to make moves and acquire players they really want. That pick is so far off, it could have been in the 20s of a poor draft. Who knows? It was whoever was available at 12 and a player picked 3 years from now or Elfrid. If Elfrid works out I don't think anybody will care. A second round pick is a second round pick, plenty of teams bought them this draft.

Yea I mean I get that. It's a gamble plain and simple. It's not a huge bet, but yea we gave up a good amount to get our guy. Because I know absolutely nothing about Payton or Saric (in terms of how they will turn out) all I can comment is the price we paid to move up two spots. I personally thought the team would continue to sit back and accumulate talent/assets, but I guess they are serious about winning soon.

But let's not act like "Rob didn't even want the pick." I'm sure he could have found some other use for it (like in another trade down the road).

But building a complete team is not done that way. Parsons does more than be a "4th banana". On the Magic he spaces the floor and is staring at uncontested 3s all game because we have guys who can penetrate and draw double teams. He makes the Magic very difficult to defend and spreads the floor.

I don't think anyone believe he will be a super star, but a shooter at SF would open up the floor for the other guys to flourish.

I agree with you. My post was supposed to be sarcasm but it didn't come out that way.

I'm amazed that people actually want to make the playoffs next season, only to get ousted in 4 or 5 games in the first round.

I'll take another lottery pick and go balls to the wall in 2015-2016.

We have enough young talent. I would like a player or 2 on our team to become superstars. If we start winning. The free agents will come. Nick is close to allstar level and we have a few players that have a chance.

As we have seen, tanking does not insure you a superstar. If we are not the youngest, we are close to the youngest team in the league. Now we need to learn to win.

2014-2015 was my personal target date. Win mode, now please.

We aren't tanking anymore. We're going to let our guys play and see what happens.

I imagine this is our goal too. Although I don't exactly expect us to be good.

Are people talking playoffs already? We don't exactly know the line up yet but I'd like to see a list of a teams starting two rookies who made playoffs.

Good advice, make sure you tell it to the kid that posted this:

Either you have absolutely no sense of humor or you forgot that we were all Spurs fans for about two weeks. Either way, feel free to ignore my posts (especially when I'm not addressing you) if you can't comprehend what I'm saying, you know, like you do when I make a point you can't contest, like last week in our discussion about our ability to sign FA's.

Ride out a few years of being subpar and acquiring assets in the process... Or attempt to go for it all with a roster that has several holes and suffer through first round exits for the next 3-5 years.

Again, the roster as currently constructed is more than 1 piece away from being a legitimate contender. And I never said to "tank"; I expect the team to play hard. My point is that bringing in complementary players when we don't even have our franchise cornerstone is jumping the gun.

There's no reason to hold back, we should definitely be pushing for the playoffs and not concerning ourselves with where we project in the lottery. That said, as currently constructed I don't think we're more than a 30-35 win team so we'll still probably wind up in the lottery anyways, but not because we are in tank mode any longer.

We aren't tanking anymore. We're going to let our guys play and see what happens.

This is a correct statement. There will be no more tanking for #1. Some close to the situation have already heard that this year is going to be about what we have and what we can do.With the East being weak as it is, playoffs won't be a hard goal.

And please tell me what being the 6th, 7th, an 8th seed gets you. Literally nothing. Do I want the Magic to win? Sure, but in a long-term sense, not short-term. I'm sorry, but a starting lineup of Nelson, Oladipo, Harris, Gordon, and Vucevic isn't getting past an Indiana or Miami. Hell, a team with that lineup is lucky to score over 95 points.

We just traded our number 1 scoring threat for a prospect and a 2nd round pick and there is no one else on the roster right now who can fill that void. Are there young guys who are going to improve their game? Sure, but I honestly don't see Oladipo or Harris coming out and scoring 20+ a game while shooting a healthy percentage.

And while we're on the subject of improving, I never said a thing about not improving, but nice try there. I fully expect improvement on a player-to-player basis.

These are grown men who have been playing basketball since they were kids. To make it to the professional level of any sport, you need to have that competitive fire. This isn't the YMCA, this is the NBA.

And I never said that we needed a top 5 pick because the way it looks to me, we're probably stockpiling prospects and draft picks right now to make a move for that franchise cornerstone, similar to what Houston did with Harden. Whether or not that is the reality of it is another issue.

Playoff experience for a young team on the rise, confidence, the beginning of consecutive trips to playoffs, excitement for the fan base, consideration from FA's because we'll be one of the youngest teams to make the playoffs. What's the benefit of getting the 10-14th pick over the 15 or 16th pick?

• Upvote 1