LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

it could happen, but it has been said that orlando will not get a chance to see embiid's back. I am not sure is henni would draft him under those circumstances. henni as a history of not wanting injured players. I think you risk it but it would be a red flag if 3 other teams passed. I think we take the gamble at 4.

I was thinking about this earlier. Embiid's agent is really rolling the dice here in my opinion. If for any reason the top 3 teams pass on him (which admittedly is doubtful) then there's a risk that he slides past teams like us who haven't had the opportunity to work him out and, more importantly, thoroughly investigate his medical status. I realize he'll go top 3 and this won't matter, but if for some reason he doesn't, he's put himself into a pretty bad situation. Admittedly, if he were to start working out for other teams now it would give the appearance that the Embiid camp is concerned he won't be selected in the top 3 and would probably raise even more concerns over his back. I guess the other thing is, what if a team like us wanted to move up to draft him but did not have the opportunity to clear him medically? Just seems like working out for only the top 3 teams could backfire, although I suspect it won't.

Everyone needs to step away from their computers, spend some time with their families, and most importantly stop reading mock drafts. Chad Ford isn't our GM folks.

I think the important thing to keep in mind is that the mock draft writers have to change things up over the course of the offseason to try and keep the interest of their readers. At this point in the offseason, I fully expect them to be doing stuff that they think is just plausible enough to drive page clicks.

• Upvote 1

I think the important thing to keep in mind is that the mock draft writers have to change things up over the course of the offseason to try and keep the interest of their readers. At this point in the offseason, I fully expect them to be doing stuff that they think is just plausible enough to drive page clicks.

I completely agree

Plus, everything we read from now on is potentially misinformation. Don't put too much stock into what anyone says.

Here's what we know to be legitimate:

1.we like Marcus smart but nobody knows where he fits on our big board. We might like him at 4, we might have him around 6 and view him as a trade up candidate if a non-Exum player is selected at 4.

2. Every analyst has a different ranking of the 3 power forwards. They have completely different styles of play.

3. One of the top 3 slipping to us will shape the rest of the draft. I think it's reasonable to assume that Hennigan has Embiid, wiggins, and Parker in some order as his top 3. If one of them falls to us I think we become more active in potential trades.

• Upvote 4

I was thinking about this earlier. Embiid's agent is really rolling the dice here in my opinion. If for any reason the top 3 teams pass on him (which admittedly is doubtful) then there's a risk that he slides past teams like us who haven't had the opportunity to work him out and, more importantly, thoroughly investigate his medical status. I realize he'll go top 3 and this won't matter, but if for some reason he doesn't, he's put himself into a pretty bad situation. Admittedly, if he were to start working out for other teams now it would give the appearance that the Embiid camp is concerned he won't be selected in the top 3 and would probably raise even more concerns over his back. I guess the other thing is, what if a team like us wanted to move up to draft him but did not have the opportunity to clear him medically? Just seems like working out for only the top 3 teams could backfire, although I suspect it won't.

You're right;

If things aren't looking good Embiid's agent will start scheduling workouts and physicals with other teams. The only thing about this is that teams will start to wonder why he went from not wanting to give teams 4-8 a shot to all of a sudden scheduling workouts. If this happens it would be a huge red flag

• Upvote 1

take with a grain of salt from international poster on another forum:

...I asked because according to my sources, Magic scouts on Adidas Eurocamp in Treviso were high on Vasilije Micic, they were pleased with his performance and maturity in his game in camp so they had some talks regarding draft. Micic was one of the top performers and scouts from Spurs,OKC,Utah and Atlanta also approached him.

Is there a chance Lamb,Nicholson or some1 else got shopped for 2nd rounders or any signs on Magic intention to buy a 2nd rounder?

Seems like all the teams from the Spurs family tree are interested in this kid: http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWvOgG3mUBg

take with a grain of salt from international poster on another forum:

Seems like all the teams from the Spurs family tree are interested in this kid: http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWvOgG3mUBg

Yeah everyone loves micic since this http://prague2013.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/13/fu19m/p/eid/9616/gid/48/grid/F/orderby//rid/9619/sid/9616/game.html

Plus, everything we read from now on is potentially misinformation. Don't put too much stock into what anyone says.

Here's what we know to be legitimate:

1.we like Marcus smart but nobody knows where he fits on our big board. We might like him at 4, we might have him around 6 and view him as a trade up candidate if a non-Exum player is selected at 4.

2. Every analyst has a different ranking of the 3 power forwards. They have completely different styles of play.

3. One of the top 3 slipping to us will shape the rest of the draft. I think it's reasonable to assume that Hennigan has Embiid, wiggins, and Parker in some order as his top 3. If one of them falls to us I think we become more active in potential trades.

Pretty much have the same opinion here but I think you can add another.

4. We need to add a PG in this draft even if we keep Dipo at point and let Jameer play out his final year. Our depth is too thin to not come away with Exum, Smart, Elfrid Payton or Ennis with one of the two picks or trading up.

• Upvote 1

Going to try to keep track of prospects we work out just for reference, so far reports say we have/will work out:

Marcus Smart x2

Rodney Hood

Nick Johnson

Noah Vonleh

Tyler Ennis

Julius Randle

Aaron Gordon

Dante Exum

Elfrid Payton

Josh Huestis

Xavier Thames

UPDATE:

Shabazz Napier

Sean Armand

Adam Zagoria @AdamZagoria · 5h

Former Iona G Sean Armand also works out for Orlando June 16 after Chicago today, source tells @SNYtv

Michael Scotto @MikeAScotto · 2h

Orlando Magic have brought in Shabazz Napier and Elfrid Payton for workouts today, league sources say. #NBADraft

Armand, Huestis and Thames suggest either the Magic feel like they can get a 2nd round pick or (probably more likely) they are looking at these guys for Summer League.

• Upvote 1

Armand, Huestis and Thames suggest either the Magic feel like they can get a 2nd round pick or (probably more likely) they are looking at these guys for Summer League.

Thanks for keeping track of this.

Napier & Payton working out today makes me happy. I'm a fan of both.