LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Cat, come on man….I even capitalized the word "FAN" and put quote marks around it so you would know….You gotta admit it that the Crispy Bacon dude's post was really impressive with all the short video clips and numbers to back his stuff up….I'll post again for anybody with an open mind, lol

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2014/5/29/5761066/making-a-case-for-randle

And Murphy, definitely wasn't referring to you…Have enjoyed reading your thoughts.

You are the one with the closed mind here. I gave you a clear reason why the Magic will not take Randle at 4 and you glossed over it. Furthermore, you are the one focused on one player in this draft when the rest of us have discussed multiple scenarios for the Magic's draft.

Also, FYI - When you put quotes around something it implies that my description of it was inaccurate.

I'd rather take Vonleh at 4 and deal AA to Sac for the 8th and take Smart, then take best available shooter at #12 (Stauskas/Young/Hood). I also disagree that our priority is scoring at the PF position (I mean Harris can play the 4, and its not like Vonleh is completely one dimensional) and would prefer to have a guy who can rotate over and protect the rim, something that Vuc isn't able to do.

Vonleh/Smart/(Young/Stauskas?Hood) would also be one of the best drafts in our history. I think we all agree that we absolutely need this to be one of the best.

Smart will be gone at 7. So that will never happen.The Lakers are not going to pass up Smart, and Exum will have been drafted.

Vonleh is not going to be NBA ready for at least a year. I mean he is RAW. Randle is the most NBA ready, Gordon has NBA ready defense and a higher ceiling, Vonleh has the highest ceiling but is not NBA ready.

So taking Vonleh at 4 would mean that the Magic are sold that he will be a superstar, and even though they desperately need that star in the backcourt, they would pass on 4 back court guys with star potential for him. I can't see that happening.

Exactly, people on here act like talking about other prospects is a crime. I think most of us feel like Parker, Embiid, and Wiggins will go top 3 in some kind of order.

I truly believe that Exum, Smart, Randle, and Vonleh are all in play at #4. Saying Randle isn't in play at #4 isn't accurate especially since he hasn't even worked out for the Magic yet.

Neither has Exum. Feel free to discuss Randle, don't let me stop you.

. I don't think Smart is in the same stratosphere personally (from a measurable/upside point) as Exum and I don't think anyone has the stones to draft a long term project (Vonleh) at 4 in this draft with impact players still on the board.

Smart is definitely in the same stratosphere as Exum and arguably won their head to head matchup when they played. His metrics are incredibly high, his agility tests were high than Westbrooks. I prefer Exum, but I get why the Magic would pick Smart over him.

Remember Hennigan was a key part of the epic Westbrook/Harden draft. He knows a stud PG when he sees one, and I think we are in fantastic shape at pick 4 to get one of those guys.

As for the second part - agree.

I'd rather take Vonleh at 4 and deal AA to Sac for the 8th and take Smart, then take best available shooter at #12 (Stauskas/Young/Hood). I also disagree that our priority is scoring at the PF position (I mean Harris can play the 4, and its not like Vonleh is completely one dimensional) and would prefer to have a guy who can rotate over and protect the rim, something that Vuc isn't able to do.

Vonleh/Smart/(Young/Stauskas?Hood) would also be one of the best drafts in our history. I think we all agree that we absolutely need this to be one of the best.

I wouldn't mind that at all. I'd only take Smart as the 2nd best guy we draft

You are the one with the closed mind here. I gave you a clear reason why the Magic will not take Randle at 4 and you glossed over it. Furthermore, you are the one focused on one player in this draft when the rest of us have discussed multiple scenarios for the Magic's draft.

Also, FYI - When you put quotes around something it implies that my description of it was inaccurate.

Would I like a UK player drafted ???…Sure….I've said it many times….I also spent time recently pumping up Vonleh with Kevin Pelton backing me up….Just think with the 4th pick it should be a sure thing and I've been researching it as you suggested and I don't see Exum and Olidipo being a sure thing together….To many "IF'S" involved…."IF" Olidipo can shoot better…."IF" Exum can shoot better even though we know he's just a 60% foul shooter to this point in his career.

Not sure what you meant by the "FYI" thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Exactly, people on here act like talking about other prospects is a crime. I think most of us feel like Parker, Embiid, and Wiggins will go top 3 in some kind of order.

I truly believe that Exum, Smart, Randle, and Vonleh are all in play at #4. Saying Randle isn't in play at #4 isn't accurate especially since he hasn't even worked out for the Magic yet.

Workouts are part of the process. Just be logical here.

Is the NBA a PG/Wing league or a PF league?

Do the Magic have a star wing or PG?

Looking at Rob Hennigans past role in drafting with Presti at OKC, what did they do with their top 10 picks?

And when they did draft a big what traits did they looks for?

Ill answer these for you :

1. PG/Wing league

2. No

3. They drafted star wings like Durant, Harden and Westbrook

4. They looked for a defensive anchor and did not draft these guys in the lottery.

With all that information in front of you, do you still believe the Magic will take Randle at 4?

Would I like a UK player drafted ???…Sure….I've said it many times….I also spent time recently pumping up Vonleh with Kevin Pelton backing me up….Just think with the 4th pick it should be a sure thing and I've been researching it as you suggested and I don't see Exum and Olidipo being a sure thing together….To many "IF'S" involved…."IF" Olidipo can shoot better…."IF" Exum can shoot better even though we know he's just a 60% foul shooter to this point in his career.

Not sure what you meant by the "FYI" thing.

Ok so you have a UK bias. That explains why you can't let this go.

Well you need to think logically. GMs are not college fanboys.

Read my prior post on why we will most likely not be drafting a PF at 4.

Read my prior post on shooting and why that is an overblown concern that is posted every year around this time .

If you don't get the quotes thing. I will explain. I said you referenced a blog written by a fan. You then quoted that word, which insinuates what I was saying was incorrect. The FYI was to clarify for you what the quotation actually implies.

That is all based on potential, not actual output.

since none of the players have played vs nba players except smart and mcbuckets, it is all based on projections. noah projects and has the better potential to fit with our current talent. This is based on the facts of shooting, size, steals, and blocks.

Noah is also younger.

Workouts are part of the process. Just be logical here.

Is the NBA a PG/Wing league or a PF league?

Do the Magic have a star wing or PG?

Looking at Rob Hennigans past role in drafting with Presti at OKC, what did they do with their top 10 picks?

And when they did draft a big what traits did they looks for?

Ill answer these for you :

1. PG/Wing league

2. No

3. They drafted star wings like Durant, Harden and Westbrook

4. They looked for a defensive anchor and did not draft these guys in the lottery.

With all that information in front of you, do you still believe the Magic will take Randle at 4?

i do think that victor has a chance to be a star.

since none of the players have played vs nba players except smart and mcbuckets, it is all based on projections. noah projects and has the better potential to fit with our current talent. This is based on the facts of shooting, size, steals, and blocks.

Noah is also younger.

Vonleh definitely would fit with the Magic. It just would take a few years. So you have to ask yourself if you are willing to wait that long with a #4 draft pick when there are probably 2 out of 4 all-star talent level back court players sitting there.

The issue with that scenario is Smart could already be off the board:

#1 Embiid, Cavs

#2 Wiggins, Bucks

#3 Parker, 76ers

#4 Vonleh, Magic

#5 Exum, Jazz

#6 Randle, Celtics

#7 Smart, Lakers

Potential landing spots for Exum and Smart could be the 76ers, Jazz, Celtics and Lakers. Now granted each of those teams have existing PGs, but both guys should end up on one of those teams.

The 76ers could pair Exum and Carter-Williams, which could form a very athletic back court. Or if rumors are true they could trade Carter-Williams and replace him with Exum. In Utah, they could pair Exum with Trey Burke, and that could be ideal if they let Gordon Hayward walk. Or if they keep hold of Hayward, then Burke (PG), Exum (SG) and Hayward (SF) could be a good core to build around. The Celtics could see Exum or Smart as their replacement for Rondo if he is traded; and the Lakers could use a PG because Steve Nash hasn't stayed healthy and is 40 years old.

So it is possible that both guys are off the board by the number #8 pick. That would leave the team needing an alternative option. That could be Zach LaVine if the team wanted to 'reach' for him, or they could look at one of those guards that you mentioned at #8, and then select Ennis, Payton, LaVine or Napier at #12. For me, if we pass on Exum or Smart at #4, we need to make sure that we are drafting above the Celtics and Lakers because they could be the two teams that could snap them up.

• Upvote 1