LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

I've seen the same videos you have. Why do you talk as if you are an scout? I do see talent but I see it displayed against lesser talent and to act like that variable should be ignored is to be voluntarily ignorant.

You can't go wrong with either guard (as both as apparently gym rats), but you're talking about potential here. Marcus Smart isn't a great passer, isn't overly fast, and can't jump very high. He's just big and strong with a shot that is in progress. Exum, from those who have scouted him, appears to be lightning fast, has a higher PG IQ, and is longer.

There's really no comparison here if you look in terms of potential (unless fouls get eliminated from the league, in which case Linebacker/Blocker becomes a position).

I've seen the same videos you have. Why do you talk as if you are an scout? I do see talent but I see it displayed against lesser talent and to act like that variable should be ignored is to be voluntarily ignorant.

When did I say it should be ignored? I'm debating the logic that you use level of competition against him to the extent that you prefer Smart almost exclusively based on the fact that he played college ball in the US, even though almost every single scout (not myself, people who actually get paid to do this for a living) have Exum rated higher than Smart. I won't even bother going into the intangibles that have already been pointed out to you by TreyMachine. Let's put it this way, the only way we draft Smart is if we trade down...there is little to no chance we take him at 4 because Parker and Exum are almost universally considered better prospects, and no, not because I say so.

You can't go wrong with either guard (as both as apparently gym rats), but you're talking about potential here. Marcus Smart isn't a great passer, isn't overly fast, and can't jump very high. He's just big and strong with a shot that is in progress. Exum, from those who have scouted him, appears to be lightning fast, has a higher PG IQ, and is longer.

There's really no comparison here if you look in terms of potential (unless fouls get eliminated from the league, in which case Linebacker/Blocker becomes a position).

Smart wasn't as fast but he wasn't that far behind in speed. You bring up jumping but I thought I saw he out performed Exum on verticle testing? The passing? Yeah, he hasn't shown passing ability but he wasn't on a team where he had the options to do so. One thing I liked about Smart was his desire to get to the rim. I think with options, he'd draw doubles and might get more assists. Again, not the biggest Smart fan. I wanted Wiggins, even though he's still raw. I think Wiggins and Embiid (if his back checks out) are the future stars potentially. Maybe even Parker if he get stronger and more conditioned.

When did I say it should be ignored? I'm debating the logic that you use level of competition against him to the extent that you prefer Smart almost exclusively based on the fact that he played college ball in the US, even though almost every single scout (not myself, people who actually get paid to do this for a living) have Exum rated higher than Smart. I won't even bother going into the intangibles that have already been pointed out to you by TreyMachine. Let's put it this way, the only way we draft Smart is if we trade down...there is little to no chance we take him at 4 because Parker and Exum are almost universally considered better prospects, and no, not because I say so.

I don't see every scout's comments. Where do you get info from every scout? I see info from ESPN, Draft Express, and every other so and so who has a website with a mock draft but not from "every" scout in the league.

I don't see every scout's comments. Where do you get info from every scout? I see info from ESPN, Draft Express, and every other so and so who has a website with a mock draft but not from "every" scout in the league.

Have you considered that these sites use varying degrees of input from scouts? Exum is younger, faster, taller, longer, better passer, more PG skills...the only thing Smart has going is you've seen him more (and while you were watching did you happen to notice he can't shoot?). Do you really want to continue debating who the better prospect is?

• Upvote 3

Have you considered that these sites use varying degrees of input from scouts? Exum is younger, faster, taller, longer, better passer, more PG skills...the only thing Smart has going is you've seen him more (and while you were watching did you happen to notice he can't shoot?). Do you really want to continue debating who the better prospect is?

^^^^^

Smart barely was #4 in last year's horrible draft. Taking him this year would be an Otis move

I also know that those same sites speculate on a 24hr basis to keep traffic up. I also know those sites don't put into the homework those scouts do and with that being said, I know those sites are used by scouts and mainly GM's to promote smokescreens.

Honestly, I'm not debating. If he's better, Henny, who's more qualified and in the know than me, will make the call. He'll be there at the workouts. Not me. I'm confident in Henny so if Exum gets the call, I'll feel good about the pick. I will say, seeing how they responded to getting the 4th pick, tells me they wanted someone who won't be available at 4.

Smart wasn't as fast but he wasn't that far behind in speed. You bring up jumping but I thought I saw he out performed Exum on verticle testing? The passing? Yeah, he hasn't shown passing ability but he wasn't on a team where he had the options to do so. One thing I liked about Smart was his desire to get to the rim. I think with options, he'd draw doubles and might get more assists. Again, not the biggest Smart fan. I wanted Wiggins, even though he's still raw. I think Wiggins and Embiid (if his back checks out) are the future stars potentially. Maybe even Parker if he get stronger and more conditioned.

This to me is the biggest misconception about Smart that Smart supporters use to support him. That he didn't play with good players. In my opinion that OK State team should have been a final 4 team. They had at least 3 NBA draft picks in their starting lineup as well as a capable big up front (before he got injured). They weren't coached terribly well and they had some spacing issues but they had a team good enough. Smart was obviously the best player but he had enough pieces around him where, at the college level, he should have averaged more assists than he did. Russ Smith is a notorious chucker who converted from SG to PG in his last year in college and (per 40 mins) he averaged more assists than Smart last year.

^^^^^

Smart barely was #4 in last year's horrible draft. Taking him this year would be an Otis move

If Smart was in last year's draft, we would've drafted him over Oli.

I also know that those same sites speculate on a 24hr basis to keep traffic up. I also know those sites don't put into the homework those scouts do and with that being said, I know those sites are used by scouts and mainly GM's to promote smokescreens.

And yet I have never seen any of them slot Smart above Exum.

Honestly, I'm not debating. If he's better, Henny, who's more qualified and in the know than me, will make the call. He'll be there at the workouts. Not me. I'm confident in Henny so if Exum gets the call, I'll feel good about the pick. I will say, seeing how they responded to getting the 4th pick, tells me they wanted someone who won't be available at 4.

I also trust Henny and he never gives anything away, so who knows. That said, of course we'd rather be picking higher.

This to me is the biggest misconception about Smart that Smart supporters use to support him. That he didn't play with good players. In my opinion that OK State team should have been a final 4 team. They had at least 3 NBA draft picks in their starting lineup as well as a capable big up front (before he got injured). They weren't coached terribly well and they had some spacing issues but they had a team good enough. Smart was obviously the best player but he had enough pieces around him where, at the college level, he should have averaged more assists than he did. Russ Smith is a notorious chucker who converted from SG to PG in his last year in college and (per 40 mins) he averaged more assists than Smart last year.

Not a Smart supporter although I do like his competitive spirit. Said it once, say it again, I wanted Wiggin's potential. Only reason why I put Smart of Exum is yes, I know nothing but from what I see from the videos and to act like I know more or ignore the talent he's playing against would be moronic. That is all.