LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Unfortunately there isn't too many college games on Australian tv so I don't get to see a lot of these players play so I'm not well informed on the top talents in the draft.

I must admit though that my biggest concern about embiid is the trading of vuc. From how I've interpreted the comments here he seems to be the most risk and reward player in the draft. While that risk wouldn't bother me normally I feel like it essentially doubles as if he is a bust we would also have lost vuc who is still a young talented center who is continuing to grow.

nick and emibiid can play together.

nick and emibiid can play together.

This^, not to mention we wouldn't have to trade Vuc immediately even if we did draft Embiid. If we opted to we could always trade a re-signed Vuc for a higher caliber/salary player or just play Vuc at PF.

I think Embiid would be the PF. His comparison to Olajuwon is interesting because for the first few years of his career Olajuwon played with Ralph Sampson who at the time was the center for the Rockets. Vuc has the range to spread the floor but defensively he can't guard power forwards and if you take him further away from the basket you negate his biggest strength (rebounding). Embiid could play PF in much the same way Serge Ibaka does defensively.

Yes, Embiid is being compared to a bigger Ibaka

Makes sense. Ibaka came into the league without a good understanding of team defensive concepts but with all the tools to be a good defensive player and Embiid is in a similar boat. He has the weight and length to be a great post defender, the speed to get in the passing lanes and the instincts to block a lot of shots but he doesn't have a firm grasp on a lot of the concepts yet which is to be expected of a guy who's only been playing the game for a couple of year.

Offensively they're worlds apart though. Ibaka is a guy who might catch a lob or two and who can spot up but Embiid has the potential to carry a team on offense as well as defense.

So looking at it now. Were the season to end today we would have the 13th pick in the draft from Denver, and the odds at the 2nd best pick in the draft from the lottery. I don't see anyone being worse the Milwaukee, so we can guess that's the ceiling. Denver is really not looking good, lost 8 of the last 10. Say they stay on that slide? Drop into the 8-10 range. It could be very likely we walk away from this draft with a combo of Wiggins/Parker with Smart or another 5-10 pick. Even better if Henny can package that Denver pick with AA and Davis to get us even higher.

Mega pipe dream alert that will never happen but it's fun to think. Denver and New York keeps falling big time. Lottery time rolls around and We get pick number one. Denver get's New York's #2. We get Denver's #3. We offer a new trade to Denver where they get AA back, Davis, the #3 pick, and next years first rounder. We get the number #2 pick. Get both Wiggins AND Parker.

We collectively lose our minds. LeBron, Wade and Bosh realize their time is coming. The New York Knicks cry.

So looking at it now. Were the season to end today we would have the 13th pick in the draft from Denver, and the odds at the 2nd best pick in the draft from the lottery. I don't see anyone being worse the Milwaukee, so we can guess that's the ceiling. Denver is really not looking good, lost 8 of the last 10. Say they stay on that slide? Drop into the 8-10 range. It could be very likely we walk away from this draft with a combo of Wiggins/Parker with Smart or another 5-10 pick. Even better if Henny can package that Denver pick with AA and Davis to get us even higher.

Mega pipe dream alert that will never happen but it's fun to think. Denver and New York keeps falling big time. Lottery time rolls around and We get pick number one. Denver get's New York's #2. We get Denver's #3. We offer a new trade to Denver where they get AA back, Davis, the #3 pick, and next years first rounder. We get the number #2 pick. Get both Wiggins AND Parker.

We collectively lose our minds. LeBron, Wade and Bosh realize their time is coming. The New York Knicks cry.

As someone already mentioned, NY still probably makes the playoffs in the weak East so that would be our pick assuming Denver is in the lottery.Plus, in your pipedream of picking #1 and #3, we could have two of Embiid, Parker, Wiggins so no need to trade Afflalo on a good contract and next years first to move up one slot.

As someone already mentioned, NY still probably makes the playoffs in the weak East so that would be our pick assuming Denver is in the lottery.Plus, in your pipedream of picking #1 and #3, we could have two of Embiid, Parker, Wiggins so no need to trade Afflalo on a good contract and next years first to move up one slot.

New York is only a half game ahead of us currently right now and we have the second worst record in the entire league. The team is a complete and total dysfunctional mess. There is of course a chance that they could put it together and get in if they went on a hot streak, but I don't see it.

As for your second point you probably are right, but I think most will rate a pick that nets Wiggins or Parker much higher then Embiid or anyone else in the draft. I know I would. Cut the pick in next years, but I still would give up AA and BD to do the swap and insure the two most talented wing prospects since Melo and James on the same team.

New York is only a half game ahead of us currently right now and we have the second worst record in the entire league. The team is a complete and total dysfunctional mess. There is of course a chance that they could put it together and get in if they went on a hot streak, but I don't see it.

As for your second point you probably are right, but I think most will rate a pick that nets Wiggins or Parker much higher then Embiid or anyone else in the draft. I know I would. Cut the pick in next years, but I still would give up AA and BD to do the swap and insure the two most talented wing prospects since Melo and James on the same team.

I personally prefer Embiid over Wiggins or Parker, so it's simply a matter of preference. Also assuming Tobias is a keeper I think one of Wiggins/Parker sets us up real nice. In this pipedream scenario I'd make a strong play for Bledsoe in the summer and we'd potentially be left with this as young core:

Bledsoe, Oladipo, Wiggins/Parker, Embiid, Harris, Vucevic, and Harkless. That's a ton of young talent!

Ever hear of Kevin Durant?

At this point I am firmly on the Ender/Exum train. Exum is a perfect fit for the team as it is currently constructed (assuming he is as good as advertised), and Wiggins IMO will be TMac like on offense and could be a defensive stopper with the ability to guard multiple spots. I think the he will benefit from the more open NBA style as well.

Coming into the year my two were Randle and Smart. Randle has shown very little of being a rim protector and frankly looks like Big Baby out there in the little I have seen. I am still a big fan of Smart'. At the beginning of the he had stepped his game up; he looked like an NBA player in college. Since then, however, he has taken a major step backwards. I dont know whatt he deal is. I hope he gets it back on track

Ender?