Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

To extend, or not to extend....that is the question.

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

Devin Harris just received a 5yr/$42M extension with the Mavs. Considering he and Jameer are part of the same draft class and play the same position, would you say Jameer has earned his extension? If so, what would be a fair offer? Harris plays better D and is more of a true PG, but Jameer is a better floor leader and scorer and is working his way to be very clutch.

Noteable young PGs with recent contract extensions are provided below. I know Jameer isn't there yet but these are benchmarks for what his agent MUST be asking.

Kirk Henrich - 5yrs/$46M

Luke Ridnour - 3yrs/$19.5M

Mo Williams - 6yrs/$51.5M

TJ Ford - 3yrs/$24.5M with player option for 4th year at $8.5M

This subject was discussed a lot earlier on in the summer, but we have nothing else to talk about.

I think Jameer was looking for an agreement between the likes of Ridnour and TJ Ford, which would be a smaller per year contract than Harris.

I think Otis is trying to low ball him and that is a bad, bad idea. Starting him at $5 or $6 million is a season would get the job done and I don't think that is too much based on what others are getting paid.

We have an opportunity to sign him at a reasonable price while his stock is down, but he is much better than he showed last year.

I don't want another Darko exodus with us getting nothing - sign him!

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

I agree with most that he would be a better buy this year than as a free agent, if.. he adapts to a PG role and controls his need to be the go to man. He has all the tools to become a good PG day to day but his mind frame has to adapt to different expectations. He probably already got an offer from Otis that he refused and no other one wil be offered until he shows what he brings tothe court with Stan.

See Iboned, I think he can be our go to man with Lewis and Howard as other options if he is allowed to play his game and I think SVG will let him do that. Lewis is a go to guy so it will be interesting to see what he does.

If I am coaching this team I want Jameer to be a serious scoring threat, because that opens up Howard, Lewis, Ariza, JJ, etc. I want Jameer taking plenty of shots, but not last second shots in BHill's inept offense.

I want him to play the way he did the last 22 games of the 05 - 06 season - he averaged 22pts. a game and shot 53% from the field - high assists and low to's. Players were excited and our team looked great and Jameer was leading them.

I want Jameer to be a threat like Chauncy is a threat for Detroit - all the guys on Detroit get opportunities to score and Chauncy can take a lot of shots - when you have to worrry about Chauncy it opens up things for Rip and Rasheed, etc.

I want Jameer to be aggressive offensively and definitely looking for his shot if it is there. He doesn't have to force it and he is not a ball hog - BHill's offense forced our point guards to take bad shots with the shot clock winding down. If you aren't allowed to attack early your shooting percentages will dwindle and we become easy to guard by opposing teams if you become mostly one dimensional like we did last year.

Under SVG we will no longer be one dimensional and everyone will benefit from that. And, an offensive minded Jameer will help with his defense and will help others offensively. If he is too passive then other teams can lag on him defensively and focus on players like Lewis and Howard. I think SVG will be looking for Nelson to be aggressive in the same way that he'll be looking for Lewis and Howard to be aggressive and hopefully, JJ and Ariza.

Ariza is the true stud.

I say DO NOT extend ANY of our PG's.

Let them show their worth under the new system. None of the 3 PG's have proved to be worthy of a serious extension, given the fact that our system was lacking of true coaching leadership the last 3 years, but this is the time to put up or shut up for the 3 of them.

I hope all three excel and blow everyone of us out of our minds with regards to what we expect from them.

I for one feel that we will have a major development within one or more of our PG's this season...this is pure speculation, gut-feeling, but it's long due Fellas!

Much Love!

Nelson contract is up at the end of the season, right? If the Magic was to offer him a deal like Luke Ridnour and lets say the Clippers offered him something like Devin Harris, do you think Nelson will stay with the Magic or go for the money?

Look im all for waiting to see how he plays in a new system before extending his contract. However if they offer him a bullsh** offer, they could really lose a good player, AGAIN.

Will see what happens but Nelson should definitely be our 3rd scoring option behind Lewis and Howard and if he shows what he can bring to the Magic, I just hope Otis dont bullsh** Nelson on the deal. I see potential in him even though alot of fans ready to replace him. Defense, well he just going to have to get better somehow.

I just think if the Magic decide not to resign him, then it just might be several other teams waiting for the Magic to once again give up another good player. If I was a GM on another thats what I would do, just wait on the Magic to get rid of their good players like always.

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

Will see what happens but Nelson should definitely be our 3rd scoring option behind Lewis and Howard and if he shows what he can bring to the Magic, I just hope Otis dont bullsh** Nelson on the deal. I see potential in him even though alot of fans ready to replace him. Defense, well he just going to have to get better somehow.

Rob, I see potential in Jameer too, but he shouldn't be our third scoring option, I belive that his primary job should be run SVG system, the third scoring option belong to JJ or Turk.

quote:
He has won a few games single-handedly along the way, but there have been a lot more that he has lost for us with his poor court vision and decision-making

I have always thought that this single deciding game shot giving credit to the guy who mwde it is a fallacy. The game is won by the strategic adaptation of the coach to the opposite team and the individual participation of each plyers potential to the situation. The last shot will be decisive when the team keeps the game within range. Some players thrive on game winning situations but fail at routine team situations. Sharing the credit of winning is the attribute of a champion/

quote:
Originally posted by Rodriguez:

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

Rob, I see potential in Jameer too, but he shouldn't be our third scoring option, I belive that his primary job should be run SVG system, the third scoring option belong to JJ or Turk.

I agree if he becomes a significant part of our scoring option we will loose games because he will be shut off defensively buy good teams.

I think Jameer becomes a restricted free agent at the end of the season, so unless he has a major breakthrough and someone offers the moon, we can probably match to resign. I am more concerned with the number of contracts expiring next year.

Ariza, Arroyo, Augustine, Bogans, Dooling, Foyle, Garrity, Nelson and Reddick are all in the final year of their contracts. I think Ariza, Nelson, and Reddick might be restricted free, but I am not sure. Depending on performance, we might have a tough summer next year.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Wow, I can't beleive we're talking about a PG that has started in the league for one season and had a horrendous year getting paid 6-8 million. Lead the league in turnovers (our offense which he directed) and play zero defense and get rewarded with a gigantic contract???

If that's what we're considering paying him, then I say we work out a trade for Andre Miller ASAP.

hmmm...Andre Miller for 9.5 million of Jameer for 6-8 million. I'll take the latter.

Agree with you Smack. It

quote:
Originally posted by jmmagicfan:

I think Jameer becomes a restricted free agent at the end of the season, so unless he has a major breakthrough and someone offers the moon, we can probably match to resign. I am more concerned with the number of contracts expiring next year.

Ariza, Arroyo, Augustine, Bogans, Dooling, Foyle, Garrity, Nelson and Reddick are all in the final year of their contracts. I think Ariza, Nelson, and Reddick might be restricted free, but I am not sure. Depending on performance, we might have a tough summer next year.

Reedick is not in he