Sign in to follow this  
b2theizzo

Who will be Orlando's most improved player?

I almost don't want to even include JJ in this. Most improved...most improved from what? Sitting on the bench looking angry? I think we'll finally get a chance to see him play ...period.

Also, didn't Ariza start to knock down jumpers toward the end of the year? I think he was already improving, itll be cool to see what he's added to his game in the offseason.

I don't know who will be the most improved, but I know who I wish would improve the most:

1. Jameer (or Carlos, but 'meer is closer to Dwight holds those team get togethers, and does not have a valuable expiring contract)

2. Dwight- I'd love it if he added some tools on offense and mended those free throw woes.

3 Ariza- It would be great if we could turn him into a 2nd/3rd scoring option and he was able to play sg.

4 Garrity- How sweet would it be if he was the go-to guy.... for the Lakers?

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:
Im sorry to say this Magic fans but how can we put Trevor Ariza at starting sg, honestly.

You don't have to be a starter to be the msot improved player on the team do you?

I think Jameer, Carlos, and JJ are in the best position to make drastic improvements. I don't think that B.Hill implimented an offensive system that was condusive to the talents of Jameer or Carlos and I think both will be able to show their talents under SVG.

Of course, JJ didnt get much of anything going with so little playing time he is also in a great position as well.

Ariza could win this as well, but he would need to have developed a decent jump shot over the summer, and I have no idea if this happened or not... but lets hope so.

Lets hope that midway through the season a discussion like this is very difficult because of the improvements all these players have shown in their game, that way the Magic win ;-)

The reason why i said Ariza might not be a good fit for the starting sg spot is because his lack of offense he brings. Hes a good finisher but he needs to develop a shot. Now if he did, then why wouldnt you start him at the sg. 6'8 210 his body is built for a sg/sf. He can bring height,quickness and defense to that position which we dont have. Hill had good defense but he also had a jumpshot but wasnt as quick. Ariza just needs a jumpshot cause everything else he has. So the sg spot would be the best fit for him. I really hope he just develops a mid range game then that would help us tremendously. But for as right now hes nothing more than a undersized defensive sf/pf to me. I actually liked the idea of having Hill play the sg for defense. He did ok but offense is where he lacked. Me personally i rather have Mickael Pietrus play our starting sg. If there was a way to get him here. And just like Ariza come off the bench. Or if we had to, trade him for Pietrus. Pietrus brings offense as well as defense. Explosive type player. The Magic should consider that. I would like a offensive/defensive type sg in the6'6-6'8 range thats quick, young and can score. If Ariza could grow into this, then he would be the most improved player i think starting or not. But we do need to know who's going to be our starting sg soon. Unless Dooling going to start at sg. He has defense and a jumpshot but hes undersized at sg. But also is D Wade and hes a good defender so height doesnt mean everything, but sometimes it helps.

funny, i always thought grant hill was a defensive liability and a solid offensive threat at the 2...completely opposite of what you just said. man, maybe those bum ankles made him a good defender and a poor shooter, thats usually what happens :/

Thats what im thinking too. Hill did better than i expected on defense last season. But didnt do much on the offensive end. Why you think the Suns jump on him so quick when he was a free agent. I just wish i couldve seen the old Grant Hill during his Detroit Piston days play last season. But i guess its time to just move on.

If we are basing "most improved" strictly on statistical performance then JJ is my favorite based solely on more opportunities to produce. I can easily see him averaging 12 points a game next year. I don't really see a jump in production from Ariza (God it will be awesome if I'm wrong).

Hopefully, the guy with the biggest improvement will be Jameer. Not so much in any statistical category other than assists. I want to see him run the offense and set his teammates up. If I can see his assists go up and his fg attempts and turnovers go down he will win in my book by a landslide.

And now for the proverbial dark horse candidate for starting SG, and potentially most improved on the team.

I give you Keith Bogans.

Okay, take a minute or two to laugh, and when you are done, read on.

He is 6' 5", pretty much ideal for the SG spot. I wish he were 2" taller, but no one is perfect.

He is a good on-the-ball defender, but didn't play much behind GHill, and was in BHill's doghouse??

He has improved on offense every year, and shot a career-best 39% from 3-point last year.

I think he might start the year at SG, as I think he is SVG's kind of player.

In honesty, I don't seriously think he has as high a ceiling as Nelson, Reddick, or Ariza; but he may be the best skill-set to start at SG, which may give him an edge for improving his stats. Possible exception would be starting Dooling at SG, in which case Bogans could become the lost man again.

Nelson is (obviously) a (scoring) PG and will play most of his time there. He is too short to guard at the SG position, and would be a defensive liability at SG. While he didn't have as good a sophomore year as he did his (2nd half) rookie season, his numbers weren't awful, so I don't know that he can improve his stats enough as the 3rd option to be "most" improved. Fewer turnovers might make me think twice about that though, and I love the way he is driven to prove people wrong.

Reddick may be able to improve his defense enought to take over the starting SG eventually, but I don't think he is there yet. He might be ready by the All-Star break. Again, I love this guy's intensity and drive to prove people wrong. He and Jameer are both driven gym rats, so he may get there defensively sooner. If he takes over the starting SG position before April, he will be the most improved player from a stats standpoint. I think he is better suited to playing off the bench to start the season; maybe with Dooling at the PG, switching up the defense in the backcourt, put Dooling on the better offensive player.

Ariza may improve enough offensively to start at SG, but I don't think he's there yet either. As someone else wrote, his mid-range jumper started to come around near the end of the season, so who knows. I think he is better suited to the SF position, though. Playing the SG takes him away from the offensive boards, which are a real strength of his game. For him to be "most" improved, I think the Magic would need to consistenly run an up-tempo offense where he can get out on the break and be a finisher. If he plays at his more natural (SF) position, I don't think he can get enough minutes to be most improved.

So, to sum it up

Keith Bogans (unless Dooling gets the call to start at SG)

JJ Reddick (unless his defense gets him the starting SG before April)

Trevor Ariza (just because of Rashard/Hedo already at the SF)

Jameer Nelson (because he already plays the "majority" of the PG minutes)

My prediction is Dwight will be the most improved player. I think this year he'll have the chance and the oportunity to learn how to play the post. Having players like JJ, Bogans, Lewis, and Hedo playing in the perimeter, it'll give him the space he need to perform down below. Last year's offensive systems created no personal space for him; or I should say, it was inadecuate.

From Jameer I don't think he'll do so great because this coach will require from him to learn to run a team, which requires to slow down your attempts to the basket, attribute that gave Jameer most of his glory.

JJ and Bogans I think will get the most of half court offense shreading the 3 point line into pieces.

After the surgically removal of the 3 point line, then Ariza, Dooling and Lewis will come to simply torture the oposition with their transition game and penetration game.

Jameer and Carlos will be laughing at all this watching how their assist per games inflates as the season goes by.

Hedo and Battie will become Yoda and Obi Wan passing along their knowledge to the young Jedis.

Bohold the Hammer of Foyle! Foyle and his War Hammer will protect us from the attacks of the giants from underworld.

quote:
Originally posted by jmmagicfan:

And now for the proverbial dark horse candidate for starting SG, and potentially most improved on the team.

I give you Keith Bogans.

Okay, take a minute or two to laugh, and when you are done, read on.

He is 6' 5", pretty much ideal for the SG spot. I wish he were 2" taller, but no one is perfect.

He is a good on-the-ball defender, but didn't play much behind GHill, and was in BHill's doghouse??

He has improved on offense every year, and shot a career-best 39% from 3-point last year.

I think he might start the year at SG, as I think he is SVG's kind of player.

In honesty, I don't seriously think he has as high a ceiling as Nelson, Reddick, or Ariza; but he may be the best skill-set to start at SG, which may give him an edge for improving his stats. Possible exception would be starting Dooling at SG, in which case Bogans could become the lost man again.

Nelson is (obviously) a (scoring) PG and will play most of his time there. He is too short to guard at the SG position, and would be a defensive liability at SG. While he didn't have as good a sophomore year as he did his (2nd half) rookie season, his numbers weren't awful, so I don't know that he can improve his stats enough as the 3rd option to be "most" improved. Fewer turnovers might make me think twice about that though, and I love the way he is driven to prove people wrong.

Reddick may be able to improve his defense enought to take over the starting SG eventually, but I don't think he is there yet. He might be ready by the All-Star break. Again, I love this guy's intensity and drive to prove people wrong. He and Jameer are both driven gym rats, so he may get there defensively sooner. If he takes over the starting SG position before April, he will be the most improved player from a stats standpoint. I think he is better suited to playing off the bench to start the season; maybe with Dooling at the PG, switching up the defense in the backcourt, put Dooling on the better offensive player.

Ariza may improve enough offensively to start at SG, but I don't think he's there yet either. As someone else wrote, his mid-range jumper started to come around near the end of the season, so who knows. I think he is better suited to the SF position, though. Playing the SG takes him away from the offensive boards, which are a real strength of his game. For him to be "most" improved, I think the Magic would need to consistenly run an up-tempo offense where he can get out on the break and be a finisher. If he plays at his more natural (SF) position, I don't think he can get enough minutes to be most improved.

So, to sum it up

Keith Bogans (unless Dooling gets the call to start at SG)

JJ Reddick (unless his defense gets him the starting SG before April)

Trevor Ariza (just because of Rashard/Hedo already at the SF)

Jameer Nelson (because he already plays the "majority" of the PG minutes)

Uh. No.

We only got Bogans as injury insurance in case Grant Hill's ankle blew up... again.

Redick shoots better than he does, and Dooling defends WAY better than he does. Even if you're nervous about J.J.'s defense and him just generally being so young as far as Redick being a starter yet, then I would still see your Keith Bogans and raise you a Keyon Dooling.

Not to mention the most important fact of all.. the guy's too selfish. Dooling and Redick are not only better passers, but also more willing to move the basketball.

To me, Bogans is still the thing that we brought him here to be. Injury insurance. Just not for Grant Hill.

Of course, this is all assuming Carlos Arroyo is still the steady backup PG. Now I don't like him much at all, but there has to be some sort of reason why we haven't traded this guys and his (sort of expensive) expiring contract, right? Well, if he's going to cost the Magic $4 million next season, then he better freggin' play and he better freggin' play well.

You've got at least five guys at two positions, not even including Trevor Ariza. Redick, Bogans, Dooling, Nelson, Arroyo.

There's enough minutes for two shooting guards. Two point guards. If everyone's healthy, someone's gonna have to ride that pine.

quote:
Originally posted by magicdepth:

However we could ALL argue the most improved will be the COACHING STAFF!

Absolutely agreed, we could put the Fat Guy out there and we would have to say it was a coaching improvement, but SVG actually looks like a very good coach now that I've learned a bit about him.

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:
Im sorry to say this Magic fans but how can we put Trevor Ariza at starting sg, honestly.

You don't have to be a starter to be the msot improved player on the team do you?

I think Jameer, Carlos, and JJ are in the best position to make drastic improvements. I don't think that B.Hill implimented an offensive system that was condusive to the talents of Jameer or Carlos and I think both will be able to show their talents under SVG.

Of course, JJ didnt get much of anything going with so little playing time he is also in a great position as well.

Ariza could win this as well, but he would need to have developed a decent jump shot over the summer, and I have no idea if this happened or not... but lets hope so.

Lets hope that midway through the season a discussion like this is very difficult because of the improvements all these players have shown in their game, that way the Magic win ;-)

The reason why i said Ariza might not be a good fit for the starting sg spot is because his lack of offense he brings. Hes a good finisher but he needs to develop a shot. Now if he did, then why wouldnt you start him at the sg. 6'8 210 his body is built for a sg/sf. He can bring height,quickness and defense to that position which we dont have. Hill had good defense but he also had a jumpshot but wasnt as quick. Ariza just needs a jumpshot cause everything else he has. So the sg spot would be the best fit for him. I really hope he just develops a mid range game then that would help us tremendously. But for as right now hes nothing more than a undersized defensive sf/pf to me. I actually liked the idea of having Hill play the sg for defense. He did ok but offense is where he lacked. Me personally i rather have Mickael Pietrus play our starting sg. If there was a way to get him here. And just like Ariza come off the bench. Or if we had to, trade him for Pietrus. Pietrus brings offense as well as defense. Explosive type player. The Magic should consider that. I would like a offensive/defensive type sg in the6'6-6'8 range thats quick, young and can score. If Ariza could grow into this, then he would be the most improved player i think starting or not. But we do need to know who's going to be our starting sg soon. Unless Dooling going to start at sg. He has defense and a jumpshot but hes undersized at sg. But also is D Wade and hes a good defender so height doesnt mean everything, but sometimes it helps.

I think his jump shot started to look decent last year, but he just didn't play enough - I don't know what his shooting percentage was, but it looked like he was making shots.

quote:
Originally posted by jack daniel 999:

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

I think you are right that these are the top three candidates.

Nelson - I am not sure he has to improve, but instead re-prove he can play like he did during that 16-6 run.

JJ - I believe he can score in this league, but will never be a great defender. I can see him becoming a valuable role player.

Ariza - Otis has said it several times, he is a jumpshot away from being an All-Star. With Grant and Brian Hill gone, he will finally get the playing time and coaching needed. This year could be his coming out party. SVG did wonders developing Caron Butler, Dwayne Wade and Lamar Odom. Ariza also thrives in an uptempo game over a half court plodding one.

I've got to go this way to...

for the same reasons.

I will just quote you, it'll save me some time....

I agree...I might switch Nelson and JJ in positions, but that's a good assesment.

Dwight and Lewis should be about the same, maybe slightly better, but it is expected of them. The surprises will come from our role players.