Sign in to follow this  
Undisputed4

Dwight's lack of Development

Does anyone else notice this?

In 3 years he still has no go to move in the post.

Cant pass out of double teams. Everyone doubles him and he jsut turns it over or misses

His footwork is bad.

In 3 years he has gotten bigger but what else?

He is an All Star, its time we hold him accountable too.

Does anyone else notice this?

In 3 years he still has no go to move in the post.

Cant pass out of double teams. Everyone doubles him and he jsut turns it over or misses

His footwork is bad.

In 3 years he has gotten bigger but what else?

He is an All Star, its time we hold him accountable too.

quote:
His numbers are routinely impressive, but just how good is Dwight Howard? Will he ever vie with Yao Ming to be Shaq's successor? Is he a legitimate monster in the middle, or is he just the latest over-hyped hero with stone hands and clay feet? Or does the young man fit somewhere between these two extremes?

The Magic's pitiful 100-76 loss at home against the Bulls provided enough information to make a definitive answer.

Howard's stats vs. Chicago

MIN FGM-A FTM-A REB-O+D A ST BS TO PTS

37 6-11 5-14 7+7=14 2 1 2 4 17

Hey, a double-double!

Hey, big deal.

Three of Howard's baskets resulted from offensive rebounds (one of which bounced straight into his hands). Two came when his defender, Ben Wallace, stepped up to help on ball-penetration, whereupon Howard slipped to the basket, received a lob pass, and showed off his dunking technique.

Not to say that there's anything wrong or shameful about scoring ten garbage points. In fact, a big man who can consistently register double-digits without having the offense aimed at him is an extremely valuable asset to any ball club.

The trouble was that Howard only tallied a single hoop on a legitimate low-post move. On his initial touch, he received the ball on the left box, dribbled once with his right hand into the middle of the lane, then executed a rather slow and mechanical drop-step that turned him toward the baseline, and banked home a point-blank floater.

Howard tried this same move three times more with the following results: Two of his shots were blocked, and he committed a charge.

Every other attempt to score in the paint was a straight power-move that pointed either his left-hand or his right-hand to the basket. Nothing fancy. Nary a spin nor duck-under. No jumpers or jump hooks either. Nada. No shake and certainly no bake.

In other words, Howard's drop-steps represented his only change-of-direction weapons in the pivot. Coupled with his straight-arrow moves, his offensive repertoire was therefore extremely limited and extremely predictable. The effectiveness of this meager arsenal is maximized against finesse-only centers, and against teams that haven't done their homework. And is mostly ineffective against experienced centers who aren't afraid to bang, and against the league's best defensive ball clubs.

Not only that, but Howard fell victim to Wallace's rugged defense even before he got to touch the ball. Time and again, Wallace pushed and/or bumped Howard off of the prime real estate on, or near, each box. Sad to say, Howard offered little resistance and simply allowed himself to be bullied

i think darko is quite a bit more polished than dwight, not saying that darko is very polished at all but they both have a lot to learn but both have a lot of time to learn with both being 21, their game will come round and when they do...it's look out league(that is if orlando keeps darko)

I saw a video of a JJ interveiw after a game. Everyone was all joking and yelling and stuff. It was a after a loss to the Knicks. You could Dwight was partaking in it. JJ was visibly angry

Dwight gets most of his points on alley-oops from Jameer or Hedo,and from offensive rebounds.But he still averages around 18ppg,thats scary.Dwight will improve both his footwork,free throws and understanding of the game.You guys forget both Darko and Dwight entered the nba very young.Shaq,D.Robinson,A.Mourning,Ewing,Duncan and Olajuwon played 3,4 years of ncaa basketball.They were already developed players uppon entering the nba.With the KG trend of entering the nba strait from H.School what you have is talented players who don't know how to play the game yet.The nba coaches aren't payed to teach fundementals ,they are paid to win c'ships and basically not much time is spent on these young players.Thats why i beleive G.Oden will have a big impact on the nba ,because he would have spent 1 year learning the game/fundementals.Once Dwight learns the basics of basketball he will be a nightmare for the opposing nba teams.

I think this opinion is clueless. Dwight shows very good fundamentals and footwork. He has a growing repertiore of moves in the post. When permitted to go 1 on 1, he's unstoppable already (ask Tim Duncan).

His biggest problem is that 90% of his teammates can't feed the post for ****. He has to work himself ragged re-establishing position over and over and then finally gets it outside the paint.

His second biggest problem is that he doesn't trust them to pass out of double teams. He doesn't trust them to hit shots and he doesn't trust he'll get the ball back any time soon. I'm not excusing him not passing, but it's fact.

Lastly is his FT shooting. As it improves, opponents won't be able to maul him in the post.

Anybody suggesting Oden is more polished in the post hasn't seen him play. His post game is all size and fling it towards the rim. Dude has no moves and no touch on his shots at all. His post game is rawer than Darko's by a very wide margin.

I'm on the fence with this one, only because there are obvious flaws in Dwight's offensive game.

The first...I don't think he establishes position in the paint well. How many times do you see him working hard to get closer to the rim before receiving the entry pass? This, as well as, lack of shooters creates a spacing problem.

The second...I would like to see him at least attempt 2-3 jump shots per game. Even when he was a rookie we would see him try a jump shot here and there. Without a jumpshot to keep his defender honset, many of his moves are worthless.

The third...His free throw percentage is horrible. Free throws are the easiest part of this game. Dwight has good form and should be at least a 70-75 percent free throw shooter. He should be shoooting 100-300 free throws every single day.

The fourth...And this isn't Dwight's fault. He needs a big man coach that can develop him adequately. I would love to see the Magic hire a legit big man to coach Dwight (David Robinson anybody?)

quote:
Originally posted by Undisputed4:

I think Oden is more polished then Dwight. HE shoots f/t's better then Dwight left handed. He shows some moves in college that he can finish. And he plays defense.

Oden knows hwo to play offense?

He is overrated, all he can do is play D, and he isnt even that slellar doing that, he cant play someone one up, because he is so slow, all his blocks come from when guards try and drive....

And his offense, I have nvr seen him try to ever play offense........SO no way is Odens offense more polished then Dwight, there is a reason he averaging what is it 14 pts a game........

quote:
Originally posted by Joker:

Dwight gets most of his points on alley-oops from Jameer or Hedo,and from offensive rebounds.But he still averages around 18ppg,thats scary.Dwight will improve both his footwork,free throws and understanding of the game.You guys forget both Darko and Dwight entered the nba very young.Shaq,D.Robinson,A.Mourning,Ewing,Duncan and Olajuwon played 3,4 years of ncaa basketball.They were already developed players uppon entering the nba.With the KG trend of entering the nba strait from H.School what you have is talented players who don't know how to play the game yet.The nba coaches aren't payed to teach fundementals ,they are paid to win c'ships and basically not much time is spent on these young players.Thats why i beleive G.Oden will have a big impact on the nba ,because he would have spent 1 year learning the game/fundementals.Once Dwight learns the basics of basketball he will be a nightmare for the opposing nba teams.

LOL!!!

Quote:

"The nba coaches aren't payed to teach fundementals ,they are paid to win c'ships and basically not much time is spent on these young players."

Do you really believe this? Why would you draft a H.S. Player lacking fundamentals, pay him 4-5 million and not be willing to pay someone $500,000 to help him develop.....Any team not willing to make this investment is Idiotic. The Magic Hired Clifford Ray to tutor dwight and they let him go last year when Brian Hill brought in his own staff. Someone on that staff is working to improve dwights game, if NOT than BRIAN HILL NEEDS TO BE FIRED!!!! NO QUESTION!!!*

* Disclaimer: I already feel the need to fire Napolean "Keebler" Hill.

quote:
Originally posted by John the Jerk:

....The Magic Hired Clifford Ray to tutor dwight and they let him go last year when Brian Hill brought in his own staff......

This is a key point.

By the way, could I ask you about your Diener?